“Poor management”

Ranked #29 of 31 Ashland B&B and Inns
Northern California
“Poor management”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

We love Ashland, and come up here one weekend every year from Northern California. For the past 5 years, we have stayed at the Cedarwood Inn. The first few years, we loved this hotel. It is in a decent location, close enough to downtown, Lithia Park, and the Shakespeare Festival. (although not walking distance). We also like that it has 2 pools, a sauna and a steam room. And if you book the 2 queen room, they are very spacious. However, 2 years ago the hotel came under new management and our last 2 experiences have left such a bad taste that we will not return here again. Last year, I was chewed out by the hotel manager for using the ice machine to put ice in a tiny 2 gallon ice chest. "NO ICE CHESTS!" he screamed at me from the upper level. We also were disappointed in our room, we had booked the queen room just as we had done for the past 3 years and liked our room every time, but we were put in a room so small there wasn't even space to walk along the side of the bed. I asked the front desk if we could change rooms and they claimed they were sold out, yet the parking lot was only 1/3 full. After that experience we swore we would never stay here again. But this year we thought we would give it one more chance. When we checked in, the girl was very nice, but we got to our room and it was FILTHY. The first thing we noticed was the long black hair on the toilet seat. Then there was one of the beds that was covered in hairs. (Not ours, the sheets had clearly not been changed). Then there was the nightstand that had spilled coffee food crumbs on it. I took pictures of everything with my phone and showed the front desk. The kid was nice and apologetic. I hope they spoke with the housekeeper. But we will definitely not be staying here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

Just got to say ...yes it was budget and room was very large, that's about it for the positive. I left a valuable in the room on the nightstand and as soon as I realized I left it I called the hotel. It was really hard to understand the desk clerk and he said to call back the next day. I did, and I emailed and I called again, was hung up on twice, they were totally defensive, told me to have my lawyer call their lawyer....it was awful!!! Never got a call back or an email. My stuff is gone. If they were nice about it and understanding about the situation and acted like they cared that would have been nice. I understand that they are not responsible for items left ....but most reputable establishments have trustworthy staff. They didn't even try to pretend to have any concern whatsoever.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Ashland hotels

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed here the first weekend of September and had no complaints. Let's establish this early on, for I feel other reviewers had unrealistic expectations. This is not a luxury place. It is not a fancy hotel. It is a simple motel-style inn.

Our room had a refrigerator and a microwave, which I believe is standard for most rooms, along with a spacious closet area and a TV. The sinks are outside of the bathroom, which can bother some people, but I found no problem with it. The bathroom was small, but clean. The shower head was a little temperamental, staying at either quite hot or quite cold, but after a little fiddling it became warm and acceptable. There is free continental breakfast offered from 7:00-9:00am, but we never made it over because that was a bit too early for us. There is also a pool and a spa, which I was surprised by, since normally smaller inns don't offer those options.
The bed was comfortable and we both slept well both nights. I can usually get really cold when I am sleeping, and stayed warm the whole time. The room was larger than I expected and actually quite spacious. We felt we had room to spread out, and didn't feel like we were cramped or in any type of "second-rate" room.
The staff was very friendly. Check in starts at 2:00pm, but since we were driving in from Los Angeles, we arrived too early, at 11:30. We asked if she would let us know as soon as our room was ready. She sent over the cleaning lady immediately and our room was done in less than a half hour. She even walked out to find us and let us know we could check in once it was done. I also had a question about my billing after I'd checked in, and when I went back in to ask she was very nice and explained everything so it made perfect sense. Check out was a breeze, and though it was a different woman I dealt with, she was still as nice as the first.

The best part is the price. I booked through priceline and paid $130 total for two nights, including taxes and fees. It is just down the round from the shops in town, and of course the Shakespeare Festival. It was very convenient. There are nicer hotels in Ashland if you are looking for more luxury, but if you are trying to travel on a budget and still stay somewhere clean, and comfortable, this is a good choice. I had no complaints about our stay and would probably return to this hotel next time we stay in Ashland.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Redding
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed two weeks and never got any housekeeping service. In fact none of the amenities promised were provided including the rate. The kitchen was filthy, not furnished as they promised, and had mouse droppings in the kitchen, mold in the bathroom tiles, plugged sink, and carpets were dirty. They tried to get me to pay cash up front which tells me something is not on the up and up. Pay a little more and stay in a nice place in Ashland. The Cedarwood could wreck your vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Vernon, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

My friend booked through Booking.com and got a higher price than I did phoning direct. My friend phoned to inquire and was assured that the reduced rate would be applied on check in. At check in we were told that the reduced rate would be honoured. Yet when we requested that we pay for the 7 nights in advance and that we wanted to split the amount between us...We were told that we were to pay at check out. At check out I requested the split bill and I was informed that the whole amount had been taken from my friend's card (without permission)...on top of that, there was no further reduced rate as promised both on the 2 phone calls and upon check in...~$40 US higher than quoted. AND...
the unit we stayed in had a kitchenette without suitable dishes, cutlery, cooking items, dish clothes, tea towels, etc. We were told people usually brought their own. Some items were supplied, and then we had to go and buy others in order to 'use' the kitchenette. Not good...the first thing my friend did was go get someone to 'clean' the kitchenette, etc. The stove elements were not all in working order. We had booked for 7 days into a hotel needing major renovations to give a 'clean' environment to walk to your unit and 'made do' with the rest. Our first time in Ashland to attend the Oregon Shakespeare Festival had us 'trapped' at an Inn that we cannot recommend. The lack of respect shown customers and manipulation of verbal quotes that were NOT honoured, make me encourage any who dare to stay there to have 'everything in writing.'
BCAA recommended this Inn, and they are definitely 'off' the mark on this one.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joanne B
Mission Viejo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We were with a group and the place had been booked in advance and paid for, so we stayed, but won't return. The room was cheap and wasn't worth it. Getting in the room was a challenge - the desk clerk said we might have to work a little with the key - truth was I had to shoulder the door in. The room was tiny - had a TV & Microwave on a small unit; 1 chair that pulled up to a tiny desk. The outlet by the sink did not work; the lights by the bed did not work, there was mold on the tiles in the shower (did not use - waiting for next morning at new hotel). The whole place is in need of paint and the carpet in the walkways was shredding. We were on the 2nd floor and the paint was peeling off the railings, and the carpet at the top of the stairs was peeled back at the corner - an accident waiting to happen. There was a light in the parking lot that lit up our room - no way to close it off. My husband got stuck in the bathroom; good thing i was there to bust the door in so he could get out. The whole place needs a thorough renovation, The desk clerk was very pleasant, but when I checked out and told her about the room, her response was "did you enjoy the breakfast?" We did not have breakfast. On our own, we would have gone elsewhere and paid more than the $57.20 charged.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Maidstone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately Ashland was enveloped in a blanket of smoke due to forest fires which was not the fault of Cedarwood but it didn't help. The room was tatty and the bathroom not clean. The hand towel had obviously been used and there were hairs on the floor. The bottom of the bath was grey with dirt. The whole place needs upgrading.

• Stayed July 2013