“A nice dinner out”

Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Akron
Price range: US$0 - US$12
Cuisines: Italian, Soups
Reviewed 13 February 2011

We had the baked canneloni and the chicken carbonara. They were both very good. Waitress was friendly and we didn't have to wait long for the food. The serving sizes were large enough that we were full (not so big that we took home leftovers).

Reviewed 14 January 2011

I asked the waitress to have the chef cook my pasta "al dente."
I guess they don't know what al dente means or they couldn't have been
bothered because the pasta was soft and squishy, and the sauce tasted
like it came from the jar. Do yourself and pass on this one.

3  Thank nickynarf
Reviewed 9 December 2010

I don't no how this place keeps going. The food is fair at best the service is poor and the owner's attitude is terrible.

5  Thank goodtou
Reviewed 30 March 2010

The owner smokes a cigar inside the kitchen and at the bar of this non-smoking restaurant. If you ask him about it, he will arrogantly tell you not to come back if you don't like it. Since this has happened to me the last two times I have been there, I will take his advice and not return. If you don't like cigar smoke, you should avoid this place also. It's too bad, because I like the food, the beer selection and the peanuts at the bar, but I cannot tolerate the smoking so I will have to stay away.

1  Thank kppy
Reviewed 21 March 2010

We got into town at about 8 on a Friday night and asked our innkeeper for suggestions on where to go for dinner. She said only two places were open this late, Piero's and a diner--Italian sounded good, so we opted for Piero's. We got into the restaurant and were the only two people there, and a couple of others sitting at the bar. The place is huge. We sat down and looked through the very loooong menu while the waitress hovered around us impatiently. I chose eggplant parm that came with a side of pasta; my husband picked baked ziti, and ordered a side of sausage, and an order of garlic bread. The greasy garlic bread came out quickly (not with our dinner, alas), and was soon followed by the salads--skimpy things that included exactly ONE cherry tomato.
Our meals came out next. My eggplant parm was alright, and had a little side of pasta along with it. My husband's sausage was fair, but his "baked ziti," however, was far from any semblance of any baked ziti either of us had ever seen before. It was about a cup of plain ziti noodles in a slight coating of red sauce a little baking dish, with about a tsp. of cheese melted on top.
Our server came and asked us if everything was ok. My husband said "This is not baked ziti," and I agreed with him. She insisted that it WAS baked ziti, as it had been in the oven for a minute to melt the cheese on top. She also said that if he'd wanted the type of baked ziti that he wanted, he should've asked her beforehand, as it was really "Sicilian baked ziti" that he was talking about, a different menu item. He sent the dish back and did not want any replacement.
Our check came, with the entire amount still on the check. I called this to our server's attention. She said that the manager would not remove the charge because the salad had been eaten. We asked to speak to the manager, but she told us he would not come out. She went back to this mysterious manager and then returned, and said we would have to pay for the salad that was eaten, but not the "baked ziti." We said OK, even though this is outrageous--we just wanted to get out!
We left to pay our check, and the "manager" was at the cash register. My husband again brought up the issue, and his displeasure at having to pay $6.00 for the salad that came with his crummy dinner (of the total $11 or so for the dish!). The manager became very insulting then, acting like we were trying to get over on the situation. "What do you want, that I buy your dinner???" he sneered at us. We said we will pay what we owe, but that this was just not right. My husband said they should get Chef Ramsey in there--and that the place was empty because of this inferior treatment of people and they'd go out of business treating people this way. The manager became incensed and began cursing at us, saying "Get the [--] out of my restaurant! [--]!" I could NOT believe my ears. I was shocked as we quickly exited the place, and shaking as we got into the car and drove off.
Steer clear. Hopefully this nightmare place will be out of business SOON! It's time for Piero to retire for sure.

7  Thank -cynnester-