“Bad experience that lasted 2 days”
Review of Main Street Cafe - CLOSED

Main Street Cafe
Price range: US$0 - US$60
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Stopped in for a chicken salad on sunday 3-10-13 . Chicken salad was cut into pieces and mixed into my salad. I have eaten there many times and the chicken was always laid in strips on top of the salad. I ate it and missed two days of work because I was so sick. I called on 3-13-13 and the owner was not in so the lady who works only in the mornings took my name and number said she would have him call me. The only reason I am writing this is because he did not care enough about me to call me so I don't care about him or his business reputation. I have never written a review before in my life but this makes me feel better to get it off my chest ( I would only have told him).but now I am posting this because of no phone call. My date was sick also.I will never ever eat there again and will tell my friends about my experience. He can still call me if he would like to he has my name and number.

16  Thank John P

Reviewed 27 January 2013

A total lack of competition is the reason Main Street Café is in business. There is really nothing appealing about this place. The atmosphere is sort of Sports Bar-ish: jerseys and photos on the walls, TVs – even in the bathroom (gimmicky); but the overall look is haphazard and tired. Stackable metal banquet chairs and chipped veneer tables complete the décor.

Upon entering, we were approached by a very young girl who barely spoke to us and did not dare crack a smile. I believe the entire staff is prohibited from smiling and being pleasant to the customers. Every single waitress looked the same: super skinny, torn jeans, severally pulled back hair, and no smiles except when they laughed and talked among themselves. I watched our waitress approach our table smiling and laughing with a coworker, but as soon as she arrived; her smile disappeared as if flipped off by a switch. I also did not appreciate having to help her do her job. Every time she brought me something, she insisted on handing it to me from across the table instead and placing in front of me. There was no reason she could not have walked around to me as the table beside us was vacant the majority of the time we were there.

I had a cup of the chili – it came with no cheese, lots of beans, little meat and even less spice. For my dinner, I ordered the beer battered haddock. It was over cooked, dry, and flavor-less except for a very slight fishy taste that told me it had been frozen. No lemon wedge was served with it. The French fries were also frozen and just ok. My husband had the ribs which were baked, not smoked, and were a little tough and dry. The sauce was something out of a jar/bottle and very bland. His side dish of potato skins were limp and soggy and the cheese was sauce from a can. Their only redeem quality was they were topped with pieces of real bacon.

The other members of our party had equally mediocre food. The sweet potato French fries ordered by one member of our party were left virtually untouched. Everything that was eaten was due to hunger, not taste. The waitress did ok with drink refills, but otherwise did not bother with us. A small, pleasant surprise can when the waitress asked if I wanted a box and I told her no. I must have said it in a dissatisfied enough way because it prompted to her to ask if I didn’t like it. I told her I didn’t and she took it off the bill. But that was all she said. No “Sorry, you didn’t enjoy your dinner.” Just, “I took that off the bill.” with an unsaid “Now get out so I can roll silverware and laugh and talk with my friends.”

We were there on a Saturday night, about 8pm – prime time for a sports bar so maybe we just hit them on an off night, but I sort of don’t think so. Perhaps they read me as a one-time, out-of-towner and figured I wasn’t worth a smile. Friends local to this area choose this place; I would have rather gone elsewhere.

If you can wait 10 minutes, drive a little over 6 miles on Route 22 to Hoss’s. They have a friendly, smiling wait staff, a nice salad bar, and decent food. It’s not 5-star dining, but it’s predictably good and they appreciate my business.

3  Thank Jennliner
Reviewed 5 January 2013 via mobile

I love this place! Their wings are great, it's in a great spot right on a river with outdoor seating with a view of that river! Their sandwiches are well worth the price and all of their appetizers are wonderful! You won't be dissatisfied if you go there expecting great bar food!

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Great place to dine. Casual dining and bar. Great food and lots of it. Great and friendly service. The prices are good too. They are off the beaten path; but close enough to be convenient to get to. They have outdoor dining in the summer with a good view of the Juniata river.

Reviewed 27 October 2012

Wow! A great surprise in an out of the way small town. This was an unplanned visit and found a great hideaway. Our only complaint was the hostess needed to smile and offered us a choice of high or low tables. We chose a low table and were seated in a narrow porch like room with no atmosphere. On a trip to the mens room, i saw open high tables in the main dining room and our waitress willingly moved us there. Everything was great after that. Great wings, good burgers. The smiling, friendly waitress made our night. If you don't expect gourmet food but want an upscale sports bar, this is worth the visit.