“Skip this place - keep traveling!”

Sleep Inn Allentown
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Allentown
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stopped at the Hampton to see if there were any rooms available and there were not. The woman at the desk HIGHLY recommended this 'comparable' room. Upon entering the bldg., my son and I smelled this curtled smell.. but figured the rooms would be better. The gentleman working the desk was busy with guests, but VERY VERY nice - friendly, courteous! As we entered the upstairs, the moldy/musty odor worsened. The room - was even worse! When we started the air conditioning, the smell increased..... it was AWEFUL!!! The wifi took a few minutes to figure out. There were unrepaired holes in the walls and the bathroom door was sliding into the wall and got stuck - we had to use a tool to get it out to be able to use the bathroom with any privacy. In fact.. this was more like a night at the old folks home instead of any kind of hotel. With that said.. the breakfast was fabulous... service was great and this was a good start to the day. When I went to check out there wasn't a soul in sight. I asked one of the woman 'chatting' in the dining area (with her handbag and coat in hand) if she could help me and her response was to whether someone was working at the desk. When she finished her conversation with the cook, then she proceeded to help me.. nice, but annoyed by the whole experience, we left. We will give feedback to the Hampton staff NOT to recommend this as any kind of "comparable" room in the future.. I see another review about sleeping in a Walmart parking lot. I would have rather stayed at a rest stop than here - period. If anyone wants to stay here, I'd advised checking the room BEFORE giving them your credit card info!

Room Tip: Travelers beware.. check your room first before paying!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jennifer M

Reviewed 4 August 2013

After a horrible night where we ended up sleeping in our truck on a walmart parking lot because of a horrible hotel experience on a completely booked weekend for all hotels in the area...Kaitlyn went above and beyond to help us find a room and check in early. She even let us use the pool while we waited. Unfortunately this wasnt a pleasure trip so the other hotel added insult to injury. I was so happy to walk into a clean room, with a huge bathroom (with a jet tub), incredibly comfy king bed, pull out couch bed for my kids..which sits very comfortably in front of the flat screen tv that kept the kids active while Dad took a much needed nap after our nights ordeal...we also have a large closet which will be perfect for future visits while our daughter is in the hpspital. We received short notice for our trip so we had our special needs dog with us. The pet room is on the 3rd floor. We have a non smoking room. There are no strange odors, stains or smells in our room. You can smell smoke in the hallway, but it isnt overwhelming. There is a coin laundry, open 24 hrs, that I will be taking advantage of. Will come in handy for future visits. My daughter is utilizing the fitness room. The breakfadt bar looks like it will be more than adequate. We do have a fridge and microwave, which is helping us stay on budget after the hotel change in plans. Thankfully we packed our cooler. I would definately recommend this hotel!So far we have had excellent service amd experience! Even my Buster dog is sleeping pleasently now...as his snores would suggest! I CANT THANK KAITLYN ENOUGH!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Entered the hotel and lobby was nice. Phil behind the desk was very nice gave us directions to Wal-Mart he was the best !! Nice Job Phil. Room was fair rather small for 2 double beds. there was NO! privacy for anyone just the bathroom, sleep quality was ok. a lot of highway noise from the big trucks. shower had good pressure. Breakfast was fair. The breakfast attended was rude . I walked in GOOD MORNING no reply from her must have stumped her with that question. Coffee was great. If in area would look elsewhere

Room Tip: room not facing the highway
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed at this property 25/26 July 2013. It was typical of all the other Sleep Inns we have stayed in within the past two to three years. The property was well maintained, parking most adequate, room was clean and comfortable. Really nothing major to complain about. Our room was nonsmoking with two double beds. The TV was s nice 42 inch LED wall mounted. There was a frig in the room and connecting to the Internet was no hassle. Some motel WiFis can be a real problem connecting requiring a lot to patience and then the connect speed is very slow. That was not the case here. Connection was direct and speed as fast as you would want.

The AC unit was very quite and positioned in such a way that it did not blow on the beds which can be uncomfortable when trying to sleep.

Did not partake of the free breakfast but the dining area looked very nice.

The desk clerk, a tall young man was very personable and informative about the dinning in the area.

The only thing my wife didn't like was the type of blanket or covering on the bed. Seems that many motels have gone with using a heavy feather bed type covering instead of a blanket over a sheet. But then that is my wife. No reason to reject this property.

The room was booked on the CHOICE website which guarantees the lowest price. Our price was $89 for 25 July and $99 for 26 July. Other sites were $10 to $20 dollars higher. I believe the property was full probably because of Dixon's Gun Fair which took place in Kempton, PA the weekend of 26, 27 and 28 July. I did overhear the desk clerk give a price over the phone of $115 for 27 July. This is very normal for a call in price to the motel to be higher then booking through the chain with which the motel is connected.

Hard to understand how the recent negative comments for this Sleep Inn are possible based on what I found at this property.

We will stay at this Sleep Inn when we attend Dixon's Gun Fair next July. BTW this gun fair is all about black power flint lock muzzle loaded rifles. It is very popular drawing fans from all over the east coast. I met gun makers from Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, VA, NC, and SC, and Michigan. If any on you are into this type of firearms attending this fair is a must.

Room Tip: The dinner next door to this Sleep Inn was also excellent with complete meals for seniors for under...
2  Thank CharlieWH
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We noticed a strong smoke smell when we arrived in the lobby. There was only one person working the front desk on a Saturday night. He seemed overwhelmed. We booked the King suite. There was a window from the shower into the living area. Very awkward. Thank goodness our kids are very young. The grout in the shower was missing in places and the carpet in the living area outside of the shower was wet. There was a damp smell coming from it. There were soap rings on the tub so obviously no one cleaned properly. We noted that we had 4 people staying in the room when we booked online so it would have been nice if they had left us more than 2 towels and a blanket for the pull out bed. Oh, one more thing, we found a leopard print fake nail on the carpet.

Room Tip: King suite has a passthrough from the shower to the living area.
1  Thank elizabetsyl
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed overnight and were pleased with the experience. The hotel was convenient to our destination. The room and bath were very clean and tidy, TV worked well, and we both had a good night's sleep. The breakfast was more than adequate and the coffee was some of the best hotel coffee I've had. A lot of places seem to make it on the weak side, but Sleep Inn's was perfect. That alone would bring me back for another stay! Only one tiny complaint, the Wi-Fi was very slow, possibly because the rooms were sold out and everyone was using. However, this would not factor into our decision to return.

1  Thank lilithanne
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

We was going to dorney park that day and we wanted to stay at a hotel overnight because we know we was going to be worn out staying in the park that day. We came around 12pm and check in was 3 but she had a room ready for us and we was happy!! We got to our room and it was so clean and neat and the beds were cozy!! We had a fridge and microwave and coffee maker which was a a-plus and a iron whoo hoo! We even got free breakfast in the morning. What else can I say!! Stay here if u plan to do a overnighter!! And there's a restaurant next door called Boston's great food!!

• Stayed: July 2013