“Uninhabitable and no help”

Scottish Inn Allentown
Ranked #28 of 30 Hotels in Allentown
La Plata, Maryland
“Uninhabitable and no help”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

My family recently attended the DCI competition in Allentown Pa. This has been a regular trip for the last 10 to 15 years. My family has stayed in some lovely hotels in the Bethlehem/Allentown areas during that time. This particular hotel was not only poor it was virtually uninhabitable! The walls had holes in them, the phone had buttons that were missing totally from the phone, the arm of the chair fell off when my husband sat on it... need I say more! The worst of it was it was booked through PRICELINE!! I called PRICELINE and they said it was at the hotel's discretion as to whether or not to refund the money for this room that was more than awful!! The hotel did not refund the money so PRICELINE did NOTHING as did the hotel. It is my recommendation that folks find other lovely hotels in the area and enjoy DCI as well as Musicfest. And above all DO NOT use PRICELINE. Go directly through the hotels in the area or use another booking agency. This whole incident was totally unacceptable by anyone's standards.

Room Tip: No good tips...just find another hotel!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank steelr98

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I've stayed in this place twice now, the first time being about 4-5 years ago. This is a definite mom-and-pop place that struggles a bit. The beds are clean, the rooms are clean, and really, it's everything you would need for a one-night stay-over OR if you're single and need a place for a few days. So, from that perspective, it's not bad.

What I liked:
1. Bed was comfortable and clean.
2. The AC worked well, even had continuous fan.
3. Good TV options, if you're into that.
4. Convenient to the highway and Wal Mart.
5. The price was very reasonable.

What I didn't like:
1. It's fraying at the edges. As examples, the curtains are way past their prime, and you can see where apparently they have frayed and have patches where light comes in. Also, trim is loose here and there, "interesting" DIY fix-it jobs, etc.
2. In the room I had, I bought my meals and brought them back to my room to eat. However, the desk was so close to the bed that I couldn't get the chair out properly. It was very tight.
3. Hardly any room at all in the bathroom for cosmetics bag, etc.

This place is definitely OK if...
a. you're looking for a low price
b. you're occupying it as a single
c. you don't look too closely at details and are not put off by DIY jobs
d. No other place is available

If price isn't an issue, stay down the street at the Hampton Inn.....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PANeddie
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

The worst experience I've ever had in my life. We were there for 2 days and never cleaned us the room. We had to ask to bring towels, shampo and soap, they never came to the room, we returned to claim for a second time.A disgusting breakfast. First and last you see that I use that hotel

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Rosa S
Millville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I am at a loss for words! Completely horrible. Went to dorney park with my family and thought this would be a good place to stay. Dirty nasty rude employees. Stayed there 2nights and had to change my room 4 times because of the dirty beds! Will never stay there again, stay away . Save your money...

Stayed July 2014
8 Thank Jrobinso1
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

This place is awful. Really awful. The fridge didn't work. There were dirty towels in the hallway. Our sheets had a cigarette burn. The bathroom was disgusting. There were footprints on the door... the ceiling was stained. It was scary gross. We were passing through on a long trip and got stuck staying here.... disgusted!!!

• Stayed June 2014
9 Thank ChrisJenMiller
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

This place is need of repair. The sheets in my colleagues room were dirty and the bathrooms needed renovation and a thorough clean. Not sure when last the carpets were vacuumed. The so-called breakfast was inedible and the coffee awful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
11 Thank Snowgooose
North East, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

We visited Allentown to go to the Home Show, and decided to stay over night after a long day.

Upon arrival the first bad sign NOT to stay there was the parking lot was not cleared of snow long after the storm. Like two days! There were hardly any parking spots, We had to put our vehicle in four wheel drive, and smash our way into a snow bank to park, which was far away from the entry way. Also the sidewalks leading to the rooms weren't cleared of snow. (Surprise, surprise) Ice covered all the walks. It was a clear sign that they could care less about the guests.

At night were greeted by men sitting on coolers in the hall way drinking beer till late at night, They looked like they stay there for extended periods like a rooming house. The one security camera looked like ice broke it from it's mount and was hanging by the wire. Empty food containers were in the stair wells.

Our room was filthy! And I'm not exaggerating either. The hair dryer was pulled from wall. Shower head was sitting on the vanity, Shower curtain had mold on bottom. Bed spread stunk like it hasn't been washed in a long time. (I'm just happy we didn't have a black light) And a sock (Not ours) was just under the box spring. I guess the vacuum didn't get it.

The next morning we had to deal with an angry voiced women from the front desk calling around about an hour before check out to bark at us that we'd better be out by 11AM!! When I questioned her unprofessional act, she said she's been working there for 9 years and does it all the time, so it has to be the right thing to do. And I'm the only one who has a problem with it.
I'm sure they don't teach that at "Hotel School"

There are lots of rooms in Allentown, and if we took the time to read all the reviews on here and elsewhere we could have made a much better choice.
This place would be a perfect project for Hotel Impossible's Anthony Melchiouri But I'm so darn angry with my self for coming here in the first place. That I wouldn't want to help these clowns at all. It should just simply go out of business.
My first review of this dump was flagged by Trip Advisor for all the anger in my first review, and I do apologize, it's no excuse for bad behavior, however we were treated so badly that I just went on a rant, I'm ashamed we didn't turn right around right from the get go, and found another place. Live and learn I guess. Let's see what they think of this review. And see if it goes through.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first! And read Trip Advisor's reviews before you make a reservation.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Getmegoodfood
Also consider these accommodations in or near Allentown
Red Roof Inn Allentown Airport
Knights Inn & Suites Allentown
Courtyard Allentown Bethlehem/Lehigh Valley Airport
Staybridge Suites Allentown Bethlehem Airport
Super 8 Allentown
Super 8 Allentown
#19 of 30 in Allentown
Residence Inn Allentown Bethlehem/Lehigh Valley Airport

Been to Scottish Inn Allentown? Share your experiences!