“I would rather sleep in my car”

Red Carpet Inn Allentown
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Allentown
Upstate, NY
“I would rather sleep in my car”
Reviewed 7 December 2008

DON’T STAY HERE! I made reservations for a Non-Smoking room with a Kingsize bed. When we arrived at the hotel the reservation clerk told me that all the Kingsize rooms were gone but she could give me a room with 2 double beds for the same price! We left to visit family without going to the room (BIG mistake). When we arrived back at the hotel at 9:30pm the 1st thing we noticed was that there were no rooms marked as non-smoking. Our room smelled like someone had just put out a cigarette but there were no ashtrays so I guess it was “non-smoking”. The outside wall of our room was located about 35 feet from a busy highway that had truck traffic all night long and it sounded like you were outside listening to them. The bathroom’s wallpaper was peeling and there was mildew in all the cracks. On the dresser was a Monroe Muffler flier that had a wad of chewing gum stuck to it and the bathtub was full of hairs (not ours). They claim to have a “continental breakfast”but this consists 2’ x 2’ table in the entry way with a plate of Friehoffer Donuts and a pot of coffee with no place to sit to eat and it was too small for more than 2 people to stand. WHAT A DUMP!

• Liked — I'm gone
  • Disliked — I stayed there
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank timmor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 19 July 2008

This place is a 60s-era (or earlier) motel that has delusions of adequacy. The room decor was dated and the bathroom blind looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the 60s. We had to extend our stay in Allentown due to a surgical problem with a relative and our Quality Inn was full for the extra night. I decided to give this place a try based on the one good review. Their price of $99 for 2 double beds is a joke, but we weren't able to check out the room before we booked due to our personal schedule. Stay here only if you're desperate (as we were). One good thing - the room has 6mb cable internet, but bring your own ethernet cable!

Stayed July 2008
4 Thank MrDanPA
pochacco609
Reviewed 29 June 2008

I had 4 different encounters with this place. The first was when they were the McIntosh Inn. It was amazing! cheap, able to check in under 21, and not dirty at all. the people were also extremly courteous. That was in the summer of 07. In winter of 07, it had changed over to the Scottish inn and was not to bad, the only problem was that the lady at the desk was very wierd and called the police on me and my boyfriend because she didn't understand the fact that a charge on a credit card stays pending. after the police called her illiterate we were free to go. In spring of 08 this place still wasn't completly bad. There were alot more families living in it as if it were their home, and bathrooms were kinda gross but i dealt with it because i didn't have any other choice only being 19 and desperate for a place to stay (I'm from jersey so it wasn't a quick trip home). A few weeks later I had to make the trip again to straighten out problems from school and it may have been the worst adult decision of my life. As if the newly posted sign which stated they weren't responsible for any person getting hurt wasn't enough, the toilet wouldn't flush on the first try and the shower wouldn't drain. And then to top it all off THEY HAD BED BUGS! i woke up with bites all over my face arms and back. When we brought this up with management for a room switch, we were vague about the desription of what we thought it could b saying only that we got bit and they knew immediatly what it was! they tryed to transfer us to the scottish inn on Hausmann and the second we opened the door a rat ran by! This was a horrible experience and i advise anyone not to go here! its a week later and im still scratchin and itching like crazy. And the worse part is, they charged full price and didn't want to lower it. Needless to say we called the department of health that day, but i advise to JUST STAY AWAY!

• Liked — Was close to just about everything.
  • Disliked — BED BUGS!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank pochacco609
west orange, nj
Reviewed 3 June 2007

Very nice. It is a small motel, nothing fancy. But the room was very clean, and the bed was comfortable. Nice king size bed, nice size room. If you just want a decent place to sleep, this is it. The location was perfect for us, close to everything we wanted. There is also a shopping center across the street.
The staff was very friendly. They had a little continental breakfast in the morning. The restaurant next door is good and prices are reasonable. The rates are great! Wonderful value.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple