“Rides closed/Gift shops fraud”

Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom
Book In Advance
More Info
US$51.99*
and up
Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Admission...
Ranked #10 of 42 things to do in Allentown
More attraction details
Owner description: Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom features two great parks for the price of one. There are more than 100 rides, shows and attractions to enjoy, including eight roller coasters, the largest collection of kids' rides in Planet Snoopy and one of the country's best-ranked water parks. Dorney Park is one of the most visited amusement parks in the United States and is the perfect combination of thrills and family fun.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 27 August 2008

I went on Tuesday 8/26 with my husband and 2 yr old daughter. We started out in Camp Snoopy where ride operators had to rotate between rides so the wait times were very long. The excuse one attendent gave was that some workers went back to school already so they had to work short!! However it is clearly posted that kids rides operate on a rotating basis I still was disappointed that we waited 20 min for a ride that lasted 60 seconds. After 2 hrs of walking to find rides that had a operater and passed many that had closed signes we decided to go over to Wildwater Kingdom. The changing rooms had a long wait and were very dirty inside. My husband forgot his water shoes so I went into the gift shop to buy him a pair. They did not have his size on the rack so a manager went into the back and found his size. The price on the shoes was marked $11.95 and when the cashier scanned them she told me they were $ 17.95. I argued that the price was clearly marked $ 11.95 but she said that when they are put on the shelves the price goes up to $17.95. I asked for a manager and after waiting 15 min and listening to the cashier talk about me in Spanish. I was given the shoes for $ 11.95. Who in their right mind whould settle for paying MORE for something??? Despite all this my daughter enjoyed her day at Dorney, but I can tell you it will be VERY long time before I think about Choosing the park again!!!!!

6  Thank Bluberyjam15
Write a ReviewReviews (1,421)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"all ages"
in 90 reviews

Reviewed 19 August 2008

I have not been to Dorney Park in a number of years, and I was very disappointed. It was a Sunday afternoon, and it was so crowded, that you could not walk without banging into people. Even for the small rides, for example the scrambler, it was a long wait. There were large groups of people that were loud, extremely rude, and profane. Fortunately for us, my husband's company paid for the tickets, otherwise I would have been even more disappointed. We had food at the pavilions for the groups and what they classified as a burger was horrible. I understand that parks need to make money, but with the size of this park and the amount of people in it, made it a very undesirable place to be.

3  Thank 2zbeach
Reviewed 18 August 2008

Family went last year with friends while I was away on business so they were quite eager to attend again. Arriving home from a red eye, we packed up the car and family and headed out to Dorney.
Having been there years ago, I was concerned that the crowd had changed. Needless to say, within 10 minutes of arriving we needed to use the restroom. While awaiting the rest of the crowd outside, couple of fellow latin american reps needed to use the restroom. One shouted out to his friends, "hey man, just [--] in the pool like I do!" giggle, giggle, laugh, laugh.
BTW, a floss bikini is appropriate on the beaches of Rio but not at Dorney and if you are going to wear one, please be height/weight proportionate.
Ride management is poor as the kids who run the rides and concession stands are berated all day by the elements.
Drive the hour extra to Hershey but dont stay-cation at Dorney.

1  Thank Cheechsdad
Reviewed 15 August 2008

My family and I went to Dorney on Mon and Tue (Aug 11th and 12th.) The forecasts called for a chance of rain, on Monday, but when we got there, it did not look good. It was pouring rain and cool outside, more like October. This turned out to be a blessing. As we hung out in our hotel room across the street, the rain stopped and the weather slowly improved. This was about 1:00pm. When we went to the park, the crowds were very light. The weather did get nice later. We spent the first day at the amusement park. The next day , which was nice weather we did Widwater Kingdom.
We had a great time. On Wed we went to Camelbeach because it was only an hour away, so just a suggestion if you want to plan your vacation.
One thing i will say is it was confusing trying to find out the entrances to certain rides at the waterpark. It was laid out in a confusing way .But the staff helped us out.

1  Thank mikepier
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 August 2008

You'll want to try to find a way to get your tickets cheaper somewhere in advance. We bought ours through a local credit union for $28 each. Regular rate for yesterday was $38.99. If your child is under 48" the ticket is $18, under 2 years old is free. You have to pay $10 to park. There are no parking alternatives. There are no shuttles or trams provided, and it is a long walk to your car if the park is crowded. I suppose most people bring in bags with towels/swimwear for the waterpark, but beware. When you enter the main gate, there are 'all-day rental' lockers for $10 plus $5 deposit. But if you go to any of the other locker locations (there is one at the entrance to the waterpark) the lockers are $1.50. Each time you access these lockers you need to put another $1.50 in, so you might want to figure out how many times you might have to go into your locker and do the math to see which way is cheaper. They do not allow any food or beverages to be brought in. Bottled water/drinks were $3.50 for the smaller ones, $4.50 larger. Fountain soda at the food stands are $3.30, or you could buy a plastic cup for $6.98 and refill it all day for $1.98/refill. We paid $5.25 for a cheeseburger (sans lettuce, tomatoes...they are extra), $4.00 hotdog, $4.00 fries, $6.25 personal pizza (plain), $2.35 taco. You might want to bring a cooler of sandwiches and have one of your party trek out to the car and carry it into the public picnic pavillion that is located near the entrance, and then back. The wait time for the bigger rides was approximately 40 minutes. Luckily they have a lot of benches and some shady locations for waiting parents. The park layout is pretty confusing. You can pick up a map around the park (and at the entrance)...we must have referred to our map over a dozen times. The consensus of our group of 13 year olds was that the Voodoo ride was the best in the park.

3  Thank SlotBaby