“Authentic delicious Mexican food in the heart of Allentown!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #68 of 459 Restaurants in Allentown
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Description: It is a mexican deli with a small restaurant at the back
Stewartsville, New Jersey
“Authentic delicious Mexican food in the heart of Allentown!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

I can finally write a good review about an authentic Mexican restaurant in the Lehigh Valley area! If you are looking for delicious authentic Mexican food, this is the place to be. I ordered a pozole (pork hominy soup) and my hubby ordered tacos and a torta (Mexican sandwich). Everything was fresh and the taste was authentic Mexico…delicioso!!! Just don't come with a large group, there are only a couple of tables available and the place is small (at least from what I saw). Will def return again and again!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank njmom0303

Sudbury, MA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Authentic Mexican Food !!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

We used to live in Tucson AZ and had been to many great Mexican restaurants. This tiny, family owned grocer/cafe served us surprisingly great Mexican food while we were visiting my daughter in college. I had Chicken Burrito and it was huge and so inexpensive. They just have a few tables in the back of the shop, so taking out would be the best. Food you will not be disappointed with great price !!

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Quarante, France
“Fine Bodega Fare”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

My wife is from Texas, she went to college in Mexico, her bean pot is over 50 years old, and we import our tortillas fresh from Texas and Mexico through family and friends. We're serious about our Mexican food. If you are too, consider La Placita for lunch. It's mostly for takeout but there are a few tables in the back. Like any bodega, there's hardly room to turn around. There's stuff everywhere, from bags of pan dulce on the counter to Mexican cds for sale on top of the deli case. And the deli case holds great chorizo, queso fresca, homemade mole, and much more. I generally order the torta con chorizo - a bulky sandwich on a Portuguese roll filled with spicy chorizo, lettuce, tomato, avocado and, if you want, jalapeno peppers. I suppose that for the connoisseur of authentic Mexican fare, La Placita is really nothing special. But even in Mexico, restaurants often serve just so-so fare. It's bodega food, it's reasonably priced, and it's in downtown Allentown. What more do you want?

• Visited November 2012
Pennsylvania
“The real deal, no frills.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

The food here is an unexpected treat! I have been a regular here for years and found it through word-of-mouth. First of all, they offer discount food to emergency service providers in the city, so you may see an ambulance or police car (or both!) parked out from during lunch or dinner. There is something to be said about a business that shows that kind of appreciation.

I have never eaten in, but they do have seating and as another review mentioned, it is COZY! There are many regulars at lunchtime, so the place may be jammed. You can call ahead for take out, but it may be tricky if you don't know Spanish. It is hit or miss. I have never had a bad burrito from this place. They are the best!! They also have a deli, so you can grab miscellaneous groceries while you are there. We love to cook mexican fare at home also, so that is another bonus for this place.

• Visited January 2011
1 Thank AimeeGee
Bethlehem, PA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food, but you'd never know it...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2008

...unless by word of mouth. La Plasita is a corner-store off of 12th Street in Allentown. I would have never known that they also operate a small restaurant. One of my coworkers at PPL took me out to lunch at La Plasita. After you get over the initial shock that a restaurant exists within a tiny corner-store, you learn to love their food.

There are somewhere between 6 and 8 tables at La Plasita and their close proximity make you wonder how the Fire Marshall let it slide. You are sandwiched between other customers, so I should warn you that if you have an issue with personal space, you probably will not enjoy eating here. However, if you can get past this detail, you will be in for a treat.

I highly recommend ordering their burrito. Not only is the price very reasonable (their burritos run at about $6.00 -- both for lunch and dinner), but it is also the best burrito I have ever had. I personally prefer to go to La Mexicana Grill in Allentown for most of my Mexican food, but if I'm craving a burrito, I always come here.

Also, if you're expecting exquisite waiter service, you may be disappointed. Since this is a corner-store, the employees have to balance regular convenience store responsibilities with their waiter service. If you order a glass of water, you should not expect the waitress to return with a refill. However, this is a small price to pay for excellent food and a reasonable price.

1 Thank quarryknight