“First visit to the new Youell's”

Youell's Oyster House
Ranked #11 of 459 Restaurants in Allentown
Price range: US$18 - US$40
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Youell's Oyster House, Sea to Table since 1895. 6 varietal oysters daily, plus 6 more on deck. Fresh Seafood and Prime Steaks, Raw Bar, 2 lb Maine Lobsters delivered daily, Varietal Oysters, Seafood Towers, Gastropub Fare. Full compliment of Craft Brews on draft. Generous wine, scotch, cognac and cocktail selection for the most discriminating imbiber Upscale, casual atmosphere for any and all occasions, including business and family gatherings, as well as private parties on our mezzanine level.
philadelphia
“First visit to the new Youell's”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Four of us dined on a Saturday night 8:15 reservation and we were seated right away and greeted by the GM very friendly. Nice open modern dining room though Im sure when fully crowded can be very loud though we did not have an issue

Food was very good and fresh tasting. I would say a fair value for the price though the prices are not far from city prices. We started with tuna ceviche with mango and Maytag blue cheese soft shell crab topped with lump crab in a lemon sauce and also a Thai crab salad. All were very good could not even pick a favorite although the sauce on the soft shell was wonderful.

Entrees were Crab Cakes Lobster tails (which were very sweet) stuffed shrimp and the broiled combo again all were fresh tasting and very good the stand out was the crab cake and the lobster but would have a hard time choosing. Also you must order the Chantilly potatoes as they are amazing!

The only low point was the service. Our waiter seemed very inexperienced. We sat next to a table that was also just seated and the server read the specials to both tables at once which neither table could hear that well. Never had that happen before. He was slow inattentive and just should have been more polished at that price point. When paying by credit card and cash he asked to make sure his tip was in cash again I never had this happen and its not really professional. He ended up with an exact 15% when we normally tip over 20%. Don't know if he will get the hint?

This in no way ruined our meal and would definitely return! Cost for 4 with drinks and no dessert or coffee was around 235 with tip. Enjoy!

2 Thank michael l
allentonian, Owner at Youell's Oyster House, responded to this review, 26 September 2014
Thank you for your comments Michael. We are glad you enjoyed you food selections. Please know that the service aspect of your experience is as important to us as the food, atmosphere and value. Your issue with service was addressed immediately. We hope to see you again soon.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Great celebration after our friends wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had dinner at Youell's after our friends were married on Sunday. They chose the restaurant because we all Iove fish.

The meal and service was excellent. We started with a sparking wine the server helped us select. It was great. We had calamari and clams as appetizers.

My husband chose the lobster bisque and tuna tartare and I had a corn and fish chowder and a blackened salmon & shrimp dinner. The server suggested I have it medium well. It was moist and delicious.

Everyone enjoyed their dinners. This is a great spot and we hope to return.

1 Thank chasemarta
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Glad they're back up and running-Most changes are for the better.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I missed Youell's when they were shut down by a major fire. The completely re-built structure s modern, airy,but a bit noisy. Overall, I think the change is for the better since the old building was dark and cramped.

Youell's offers fresh seafood that is the the centerpiece of the menu. Broiled crab cakes were excellent, and the calamari was tender and tasty. The special Scallops with a sun dried tomato sauce featured large sea scallops that were sweet, plump and tender.

Service has room for improvement with a little more attentiveness and a better attire than the black logo T-shirts at this price point.

Parking is on street in a nice, West End neighborhood. If you cannot parallel park, you are out of luck.

All said, when I want seafood in the Lehigh Valley, I go to Youell's.

2 Thank LVWanderer
Bangor, Pennsylvania
“A real come-down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

My friends and I always enjoyed the "old" Youell's tremendously. It was funky and a bit crowded, but the food was uniformly excellent and the service good. At the new place, there was no similarity. There were no coverings on the windows, so the low sun was in our eyes most of the time. The noise level was unacceptable. The waiter was uninterested. I ordered the crabcake served over roasted red pepper sauce, which I'd once had at the old place, and had found lovely. I did inquire whether the crab was the same lump that they serve when you order lump crabmeat, and was assured it was. When it arrived, there were hardly any lumps, and it seemed to me that for that price it surely should have been really special. When I complained, I was asked if I wished to see the manager. In an unfriendly manner he asked if I wanted something else. The replacement was satisfactory, but the bad feelings remain. So sadly, we will give up on this place. It is too bad-they upped their prices by at least 20%, and then don't give the quality meal you would expect.

• Visited April 2014
6 Thank bngrbrgnut
Naples, Florida
“Good but not great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I've dined at both the old and new Youell's several times. The new building is much nicer than the one which burned down and the food is good. The wood floors make the atmosphere warm but quite noisy. The menu is limited (lots of crab) and fairly expensive but there are several attempts to be creative with their specials. Salads were average and not very creative. Bread rolls were complimentary and excellent. Manhattan clam chowder was watery and bland. Clams casino were good with diced tomatoes, peppers, onions and bacon and then broiled to a crisp brown. My lump crab with brown butter was dull with no seasonings and not exciting with little taste; that's hard to do with brown butter. Broiled crab-stuffed fish was slightly better. We did not sample desserts but they looked good on the next table. All-in-all, it was a good dining experience but could have been a lot better.

• Visited May 2014