“Maybe the south has soured me...”

Grumpy's Bar-B-Que Roadhouse
Ranked #36 of 459 Restaurants in Allentown
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Kalamazoo, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Maybe the south has soured me...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

With having been a bbq regular in Texas and Arkansas this does not live up to the hype, even for the north east, in my opinion. The beef briquette was extremely dry and it look like lunch meat it was so thinly sliced. The bbq wings were decent but nothing I would write home about. The best food item was the corn bread and home made blue cheese if that tells you anything.

My stop was on a Tuesday night and to say there was 15 people in the place may have been generous. Of the 21 seats at the bar, there were 8 including me. The other 7 appeared to be regulars and maybe two words outside of "what beer" and "what sides" were offered to me by Val the bar tender.

It is a true off the beaten path roadhouse but not something I would recommend to anyone that knows real bbq or customer service that is in the area.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Great ribs in a funky setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

"Roadhouse" is right. This out-of-the-way spot could be where Lil' Abner and Daisy Mae came on dates. You might drive by without noticing it -- use your GPS. The address says Allentown, but it's a bit north of the city on a back road in the tiny settlement of Mechanicsburg. Not too impressive from the outside, but once you cross the enclosed wooden porch and walk through the door, this is a warm and welcoming venue. Rustic, comfortable, fragrant with barbecue smell. Nicely full menu with a touch of humor -- the pulled pork salad is labeled "Pig in the Garden." The ribs are really, really good. ("No baby back ribs here," our server proudly exclaimed.) Unless you come with a huge appetite, the half-rack is plenty. The ribs are as large as any I've had and they're perfectly prepared with a delicious sauce. My chosen sides were collard greens and fries, both very good. The friendly, efficient waitress ticked off a dozen or so draft beers and I settled on a good IPA. My companion got wings for sharing, and they were fine. I get to the Allentown area pretty often and I will certainly return. Grumpy's offers live music at night. A find.

• Visited January 2014
Herkimer, New York
“Awesome BBQ!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

My family and I stopped into Grumpy's based on good reviews here, and we will definitely be back! Make sure you bring your appetite! At most restaurants I can easily polish off a half rack of ribs, but the ribs here were huge and I couldn't come close to finishing off the rib/wing combo I ordered. All of the food was delicious. Even the fries were perfect. We got in and seated immediately upon arrival without reservations on a Saturday night, and the service was very good. Highly recommended!

• Visited December 2013
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Real BBQ in Allentown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Grumpy's is a great place. We've been going here for years. The food is real barbeque style. I love their pulled pork platter. Its fabulous. French Fries are the best. We've tried the ribs, wraps, gumbo soup, chicken, etc. Nothing is bad on the menu. Very laid back. Inexpensive beers. Great value just a little off the beaten path.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank roborealtor
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Eating between the country boys”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Somewhere along the narrow country road on a dark chilly night, we were called by and old blinking Neon sign:- .......Bar B Que Roadhouse.
Entering the old cracking door and we arrived to Buckwheat's world (without offend).
Extreme crowded, noisy... happy!
House soup for a start. Very good.
Famous half rack of ribs with pickled cucumbers and "matoes" for me mmmmm so good! Wood-pit chicken with yams fries and homey Coleslaw for my wife. Excellent !
October fest Sam Adams good beer to wash everything.
Thank you county road !