“Order carefully...ask for price” 3 of 5 bubbles

Grumpy's Bar-B-Que Roadhouse
Ranked #37 of 456 Restaurants in Allentown
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Cheap Eats
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Bath, Pennsylvania
“Order carefully...ask for price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Recently had dinner here with husband and friends. Have learned an important lesson...stick with the basics if you want value for your money. My salmon crab cakes tasted fine, but the potato pancakes were the worst I've ever had. Greasy, over-cooked... Had a lot of potato pancakes in my life...these didn't even taste like potatoes! Asparagus...so average...and undercooked. Worst surprise, however, was that the meal cost $25.

I will probably go back...but I'll get a sandwich or an appetizer. The value just isn't there if you order a SPECIAL.

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank DMC309

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“decent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stopped here on a Saturday. Love some BBQ- especially ribs.
This place has a decent bar and some tables as well. Good beer selection.
I ordered the pork belly appy which was excellent. Then the fried pickles which were great.
I had the half rack of ribs with slaw and collards.
The ribs were a little tough. Not sure why. I was really craving fall off the bone ribs. The flavor was good but I just couldn't get over the toughness. I'll try something different next time.

• Visited May 2014
Bath, Pennsylvania
“I'm Grumpy now!!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Ok...food was OK...no doubt about it....but when the bill came I almost fell off the chair...this is a BBQ joint...I've been here before. Got specials tonight for myself and wife. Should have asked but each one was $25. And beers were not cheap. What happened after last visit? Did the place get swanky? It looked the same and the meals were the same...about as good as diner food....the wife even complained that her potatoes were overdone....the beer was your basic beer!! Just cost too much! Not going back at these prices. I'll cook in the back yard.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Chuckfrombath
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good, not great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Being a budding backyard BBQer, I try to stop and check out these independent places while traveling. Grumpy's Roadhouse is an apt name - nothing fancy, just a decent place a bit out of the way near Allentown. On a Wednesday night, there was a crowd, with people waiting for a table as I left at 7 pm (a good sign). I tried the beef brisket with a side of pork spare ribs. The brisket was OK, not sliced pencil thick Texas style, as I prefer, maybe half that thickness. It appeared that the brisket was sliced in advance, instead of to order because the top layer was dry, but nice and moist underneath. They slice the point and flat together, which results in the point being with the grain instead of across - a bit more difficult to eat. Ribs were large and meaty, but a bit chewy. I prefer mine where it falls off the bone without working at it. I would keep these in the smoker for another 3 hours or so. Prices are very reasonable for the amount of food. Overall a good experience and worth the stop. I would give the brisket a B and the ribs a B+

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kalamazoo, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Maybe the south has soured me...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

With having been a bbq regular in Texas and Arkansas this does not live up to the hype, even for the north east, in my opinion. The beef briquette was extremely dry and it look like lunch meat it was so thinly sliced. The bbq wings were decent but nothing I would write home about. The best food item was the corn bread and home made blue cheese if that tells you anything.

My stop was on a Tuesday night and to say there was 15 people in the place may have been generous. Of the 21 seats at the bar, there were 8 including me. The other 7 appeared to be regulars and maybe two words outside of "what beer" and "what sides" were offered to me by Val the bar tender.

It is a true off the beaten path roadhouse but not something I would recommend to anyone that knows real bbq or customer service that is in the area.