“Nostalgic Diner Near The Hampton Inn”

Starlite Diner & Lounge
Ranked #7 of 489 Restaurants in Allentown
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Whether dining alone or with family and friends, you will always have the best seat in the house. Comfortable chairs and large tables give you plenty of room to relax and enjoy your food. Starlite Diner makes a great location for a business lunch or meeting or just enjoy a coffee and dessert while you browse the internet. Personal touches include two 400-gallon saltwater fish tanks for visual entertainment. Book your next party or corporate event and enjoy the privacy of your own room. Our banquet room comfortably holds up to 55 people. The room has its own private entrance, bathroom and personal servers to accommodate your group efficiently. Please discuss any catering needs you have with the banquet manager. We only require a few days’ notice to make your next event a huge success.
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My wife and I ate here after traveling halfway across the country. The diner has a chrome exterior with a nostalgic feel. There were many choices on the menu, so I chose the Club sandwich (pictured). The service was friendly, but a little slow. I certainly recommend this place over Yocco's. The interior of the Starlite is nice with juke boxes at each table. The aquarium inside is pretty cool. It is a nice place, but even today I feel underwelmed with my eating experience.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I love coming to the Starlite diner. They have a great salad bar, fresh bread, and choice of 3 soups, all yummy. The menu is very varied which I always expect of a diner. My kid had a buffalo chicken wrap, which she liked. It came with fries and a pickle. I wanted everything but had just the salad bar which I loved. Friendly staff and good prices. Dare you to stand in front of the dessert case and pick just one. They all look great.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We've eaten here a few time now and never had a bad meal. It's not fine dinning -- it's clearly a diner that covers a multitude of cuisines. The menu can take 10 minute to get through but you will always find something that everyone in your party will eat. They do a soup and salad bar that is excellent -- beware though it's really easy to fill up on the bread and soup alone! The pies and cakes are good -- though more often than not you will be too full to try one. The kids menu is pretty good and comes with a drink and desert which a a $ saver.

Reviewed 4 November 2012

I have had three meals at the Starlite Diner in recent days. Two breakfasts and one dinner, giving me a fair cross section of the diners offering and the staff abilities.

First: The diner is what you have come to expect of diners in central New Jersey: shine and chrome. Walking in you know you are in a Highway Diner. Finding this in Allentown PA was welcomed as it was sort of a little touch of home while away from home.

Comfortable booths with Juke Boxes. Acres Naugahyde and Formica.

The menu is also typical Highway Diner: Page after page of comfort food.

I had the Bagel and Lox platter for breakfast both times to see if it would be consistent. It was. The bagel is typical of diners outside of New Jersey. A prepackaged bagel, not at all like a real bagel shop bagel but it was fine toasted.

They serve it with a mass of lox, a single 2-ounce cup of cream cheese, slices of tomato, red onion, some olives and a few slices of cucumber. The vegetables were all fresh and crisp. The lox was tasty. A little more cream cheese would have been nice. At $10.95 it seemed a bit on the expensive side until I saw the amount of lox served. That made it worth the money. They also serve it with a side of home fries, something not typical in a North Jersey diner.

The coffee was fresh and strong.

For dinner I have the vegetable Panini. Not bad but not extraordinary by any means. The vegetables were fresh, not canned. That is a definite plus. The Panini was served nice and hot. I ordered the soup and salad bar with the meal asked them to omit the fries. Because you can substitute salad for fries they charged me only for the soup and not the full price for the soup and salad bar. A nice gesture I thought.

The lentil soup at the salad bar was pretty good. Full of lentils and vegetables and served quite hot.
The greens were fresh and crisp and the assorted salads looked good and the small amount of the pasta salad I had was tasty. The greens were tasty and there was a nice assortment.

The service was attentive and friendly at all three meals but there is a general lack professionalism in the staff. As mentioned in a previous post, the conversations among the staff are conducted at volume and in full earshot to the guests. Both mornings I was there they were having computer problems and the topic was loudly discussed among the staff including sarcastic comments about the owners attempts to get the computers running again.

Two of the servers were chatting about something at dinner as my food was being served to me and the waitress continued the conversation as she placed the food in front of me never once breaking of the conversation long enough to ask if I needed anything else or so much and an "enjoy your meal".

This is a fairly good diner with fairly good if unremarkable food. A touch of professionalism added to the staff would help as long as the friendliness of the staff remains.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

My daughter and I arrived late on a Friday night and didn't know what to have for dinner. No problem, here! We had pages to choose from and decided on breakfast for dinner. Our omelets, toast, English muffin, and fruit came out as ordered and was delicious. The waitress couldn't have been nicer.