“deserted area, unprofessional service”

Holiday Inn Allentown Center City
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Allentown
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Wow, this was an experience.

Two days in a row I "begged" the guy at the front desk to ask room service to drop the complimentary bottle of water in my room - he kept saying "yes" - never happened.

I called one night to kindly ask him to bring me that damn water which I kept asking for. His reply: "If you come down I'll give it to you otherwise, I can't come" hahaha This never happened to me and I really travelled the world. In no 3rd world country the receptionist would say "go get it yourself"

Thugs playing pool every night in the hotel bar with police "hangin out" at the hotel reception. I asked what's going on (cus you ask yourself why in the world are 2 policemen at the hotel reception for 2 hours). The receptionist told me they were his friends. :))

The place is super rundown - rust everywhere. No temeprature control in your room - it can either be boiling hot or freezing cold during winter.

Parking + bfast adds $11 a day to your room rate.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank WhatDoYouCare
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Allentown Center City

Reviewed 17 December 2011

center of town is sketchy! didn't feel it was a safe area so I will not recommend to stay in that location.

Otherwise staff was very friendly. breakfast is limited and not recommend. the Brazilian restaurant should be avoided as they do not how to cook a steak!

I will not be back.

Room Tip: high floor as it can be noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Dbarashi
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Was looking for a nice hotel within walking distance of the Crocodile Rock Cafe (attended a concert there). Arrived several hours before the concert and GPS took me to the address with no problem. Did have to park ($6 fee) in a parking garage next to the hotel but the walk was short and the building exited right at the entrance to the garage. Seems that parking cost should be included with the reservation, not in addition to it. Service at desk was excellent and answered all questions i had. I walked to the Croc Rock Cafe after dark (6:00 PM) and walking area had sidewalks all the way, was well lit, and I saw police officers walking the sidewalks and patrolling on the street. There were numerous people (quite a few couples) using the sidewalks and although there were a few "rough looking" people along my walk, I never had the feeling of being uncomfortable or unsafe. After the concert, I walked back to hotel and the streets were almost deserted. Area was very well lit, which is always comforting in a downtown area. The temp. control of the room was easy to work and effective. Would have liked to open a window for fresh air but they were bolted shut. Room was well furnished and bed and chair were comfortable. Was given an internet access code when I checked in and internet worked great (and no extra charge). Room was good size (one king bed) and was clean. Ice machine was easily accessible (just beside the elevators). Elevators worked fine and were speedy. Bathroom was nice and water pressure and temps. were good. Price was just over $100. I really enjoyed my stay and wished I had more time to stay an extra night. If I ever return to Allentown, this will be my choice of hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Will W
Nikola M, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

Thank you for your positive reviews. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to you staying with us again when you are in the Allentown area!

Reviewed 11 November 2011

Am sitting on the couch in my rather large room as I type. Staff here has been very friendly, the room is clean, bright, nicely appointed and tastefully decorated. Lots of mirrors, large flat screen TV and desk. Bathroom is a bit small, but has been renovated with granite counter top and shower, as well as large showerhead. When we arrived last night I could hear the roof fans from the neighboring building, but they must shut off after a certain time as it did not keep me awake. Easy Validated parking next door ($6/day). There was a small "business center" downstairs, a gym, game room, and an attached restaurant, none of which I used, but they could be handy. A very nice stay in Allentown!

Room Tip: I was on the 8th floor, so less neighborhood noise, and faced East so it was bright, but there were...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank M D

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will stay with us again when you are in the Allentown area!

Reviewed 5 November 2011

I changed by travel route to stay here because Holiday Inn's Priority Club offerred this hotel for only 5000 points. I was trvelling through the area on a family vacation. If you've never been to Allentown, getting to this hotel is the first challenge even with a GPS. Once there, the only place to stop is a circular driveway, which when we arrived at 9pm was full. There is no hotel parking. There is a multi level garage next to the hotel, The hotel will "validate" parking for $6.00 per day. There is a pet charge of $50.00/day. I travel a lot and have never paid more than $25.00 at Holiday Inn for a pet fee. (and my dog stays in a crate)! After checking in, the hotel was unable to find a luggage cart....Infant, Luggage, Portable Crib Dog & Crate, ...no luggage cart and no parking out front! finally got to the room....which has not been cleaned or made up after the last guest. Front desk seemed sorry and gave a voucher for a free breakfast. Put me up on the 9th (top) floor. Room was average. Heard the elevator motor all night along and although i read other guest complaints about the paper thin walls, I figured in was just normal hotel noise. It's not. You can hear everything from these rooms. Since I couldn't sleep, left before my free breakfast and at 6am there were still no luggage carts. Won't be visiting this hotel on the return trip home.

Room Tip: If you must stay here - Stay away from top floor, rooms near the evevator
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

I am sorry to hear that you had issues with your stay. We value our guest's feedback and will look to address the concerns you had. The area out front is our loading and unloading zone and we do try our best to not have guests keep their cars there for too long so there is room for the next guest checking in or out. We do have luggage carts available and I apologize there were none when you needed them. We hope that you will give our property another chance the next time you are in the Allentown area. We strive to provide consistent guest satisfaction and service. Please contact me directly if you would like to stay again, nmillen@hiallentownpa.com or my direct line 610.821.4204.

Reviewed 4 November 2011

I just want to thank the Holiday Inn and their staff in Allentown, PA for the excellent service and accommodations they provided to my family this past weekend. We were without power from Saturday, Oct. 30 - Tuesday Nov. 1 2011 and we were fortunate enough to get a place to stay at the Holiday Inn in center city Allentown, PA while most hotels in the area were sold out because there were 100,000's of people without power. I have to say that even though the hotel was booked solid and were extremely busy trying to accommodate as many people as possible, the staff there was remarkable with how they handled the entire situation and were as helpful as could be. Thanks so much to everyone who made our time of stress as stress free as possible by staying with you, we really appreciate the great job everyone did!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Annetta S

Thank you for the positive review! We are glad to hear that our staff was helpful when everyone was in a time of need with the power outage. Please consider our hotel for any future needs!

Reviewed 24 October 2011

We booked this hotel because it was convenient location. A group of us were doing the wine trail and this was smack in the middle. Given that it was in the city we though there would be a decent night life for dinner and drinks. Coming from the beautiful vineyards to the city center was a bit shocking. I can’t say too much for the area. A little intimidating (and I am from the NYC area) but being that we were in a bigger group it was not bad. That being said, I would not have walked around alone.

As for the hotel, the room was clean and neat as was the lobby. For the price we could not beat it. It had everything we needed, a comfy bed a clean bathroom and parking available for 6 bucks. Plus they had a great bar! We actually went to dinner and came back to hang at the bar. We had a blast and did not have to go anywhere!

The only hang up was when we 1st checked in the front desk gave us a key to someone else’s room. We went down and told them, the apologized and gave us $40 worth of free breakfast the following morning, which was great and much needed after the last night at the bar 

All in all good stay. If you are looking for convenient and priced right this is 100% the right hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends