“Convenient for downtown Allentown”

Holiday Inn Allentown Center City
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Allentown
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Holiday Inn City Center Allentown for the IlluXCon convention. It was the convention hotel. It was nice & offered an affordable conference rate of $89/night plus tax. The garage parking was really affordable...$6/day. This was the least expensive hotel we stayed in on our cross-country trip to get to PA.

The bulk of the convention was at the Allentown Museum of Art, which was about a 1/2 mile walk along Hamilton. There were enough restaurants nearby & it seemed generally safe during the day or in a group. Although it is advised to not wander around aimlessly off the beaten path.

Within walking distance, there is a lovely linear park with a hike/bike path along the Lehigh River. And there are some nice parks within 3-5 miles.

Being from the Southwest, I had preconceived notions of Allentown that were a bit off. It actually is a pretty interesting town that has a lovely park system, interesting architecture & a history.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank SweetHopfrog
123staff, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

We are happy to hear that we were able to provide great service for you and your entire group that was here. We look forward to having you guys again next year!

Reviewed 14 September 2013

This is a good-but-not-great hotel in the center of Allentown. (It's a bit hard to find because its address is on Hamilton, but the entrance is around the side and not really visible.) There was nothing outstanding, but nothing really bad. (My two complaints are that they stuck us in a double-double, which made the beds way too small and uncomfortable, and the shower exhaust fan blew *in*. Smelled pretty good in the morning, though, with the odor of breakfast coming in.) The wifi was wimpy.

Room Tip: Don't get a double-double!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarkLOlson

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review regarding your stay here with us, we will work on making it easier to see the location of the hotel. We apologize you weren't put in a room that best fit your and your guests. If your ever in the area again please give us another try.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I wanted to extend my husband's ski trip at Bear Creek Mountain, so I jumped on a bidding site and was offered a low price on a "3 star hotel" in Allentown.

To preface: All the staff at this hotel are actually very lovely, and I feel sorry for them. They obviously care and are doing the best they can. I called Holiday Inn Corporate this morning to complain.

The air quality in our room was so bad that we started having breathing problems and migraines. I had a couple of surgical masks (from a visit to an immuno-compromised relative) in our luggage, so we wore them so we could get some sleep. Holiday Inn Corporate did NOTHING. They saw that I was a bidding website customer, called me "price conscious," called the Front Desk before we checked out (which I asked him NOT to do), and said he could get us a room at Staybridge or the other Holiday Inn for $120-140.

Here's the problem. Based on basic amenities, I suppose this hotel has certain things: attached restaurant, morning breakfast, pool, fitness center, etc. The problem is that the hotel is super-old, with really bad air in the ductwork. The room is also sub-par. In order to fix the problem, I think the hotel would have to start from scratch, demolish the whole thing, or rip out all the ductwork. Expensive, right?

And since the clients of the hotel are either people who don't mind or notice, or are coming off of bidding websites, the hotel figures it can sacrifice the quality and just keep riding along. Corporate clients would certainly never stay here, so they keep it as a lower-tier hotel. I am FURIOUS at the bidding website for scamming me with a "3 star" rating. This is a 2 star hotel, at best. If you have a choice, DO NOT STAY HERE. If you are booking in the Allentown area with blind bids: PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

Here's the other tip, folks: if you have an annoyed customer like me, coming of a bidding website, you might offer me 50% off a room at your chain of hotels for a 2nd night. And maybe don't insult me and call me "price conscious." Then you wouldn't have a "price conscious" but SOCIAL MEDIA SAVVY person, angry and writing bad reviews on Trip Advisor. Bad form, Holiday Inn. Bad form.

Room Tip: There are a ton of hotels up the road. Go there!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nayacat

We regret to hear that you couldn't breath in your room while you were here with us, we are looking in to that to see what we can do to make it better for our guests. We take guest comments very seriously and are working to make things better every day.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Don't let prior bad reviews of this hotel scare you. It's got a parking garage, on site restaurant that served a breakfast buffet for only $8.95, clean comfortable rooms, coffee makers and coffee in the lounge. Fridges with ice compartment in the suites. I booked a room here since it was the preferred hotel for my event. But I was afraid. No need to worry. I was pleasantly surprised by the helpful staff and the amenities. It's not fabulous for the price, but it's fine. I'll stay here again. The only thing that was a surprise was that the entrance is on the side street. You have to turn right immediately after passing the front of the hotel. (I wish someone had told me that when I booked my room.) The pool looked clean and was a cute squarish shape--not suitable for lap swimming.

Room Tip: Suites are large with a king bed, closet, and kitchen with an ice compartment in the fridge! Perfect...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank waltzlover
123staff, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel, we appreciate you stating that you enjoyed your stay. Next time your in the area please choose us as your local where you will stay.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Allentown. Overall it was a good experience -- with a few pros and cons.

We arrived late at night, and the man at the desk was extremely friendly and helpful. In fact, every staff member we met was very pleasant -- answering our questions, helping us print out materials at the front desk and making sure we had everything we needed.

The room was pretty standard. I'm not sure if I'd call it a 3-star hotel (as described by Priceline), but it was clean. It also had great AC, which is always a good thing. Some of the cons included beds that weren't all that comfortable, a broken ice machine on our floor, no fridge or microwave in the room and a fee for parking ($6). It was also disappointing that housekeeping never cleaned our room during our two-night stay.

The surrounding area is a little iffy, but I didn't find it to be as bad as some other reviewers. The street on which it's located is actually kind of charming, and it looks to me as if they are trying to build up the area. My boyfriend and I went out walking around midnight -- no one bothered us and we felt safe. We went into the Allentown BrewWorks -- a fantastic pub that's about a block away. I highly recommend you check it out if you stay here. The hotel is also close to Dorney Park -- about 3 miles. Though there are plenty of hotels across from the park -- including a Holiday Inn.

So if you need to be in the area, it's not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MBear24
123staff, Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

We appreciate you leaving a review of the hotel and we hope that you come stay with us again if your in the area again.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

This hotel is located in the ghetto I was afraid for my life and the safety of my family. The hotel it's self is very dirty trash thrown in the lobby floor upon entering and the horrible smell of this hotel made me sick. How do you offer a pool and it doesn't work?? Due to the location and the cleanliness issue I would never stay at this property again I had to write this review so you don't waste your time nor money here.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Theadvisor123468
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Theadvisor123468,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 11 August 2013

There are 3 1/2 star hotels and then there are relative 3 1/2 star hotels. This hotel relatively speaking in 3 1/2 stars if you compare it to what else is available in Allentown Pennsylvania. I am not going to slam Allentown Pennsylvania as a whole because I was just passing through on business and I know the people there are proud of their town and rightfully so. I will say that a 3 1/2 star hotel, especially a major chain hotel, should be a 3 1/2 star hotel. This is not 3 1/2 star. I honestly feel it could be close to to a 3 but I would give it a solid 2 1/2 star.
Pros:
1.There was in room internet that was complementary at least when I stayed
2.There was a restaurant/lounge associated with the hotel
3.There was on site parking for on $6/night with validated ticket
4. The staff was helpful

Cons:
1. The room which was listed as non smoking smelled like smoke
2. I went to the lounge on a Thursday night, the staff there was eating at the bar and was LOUD and boisterous. Now I do realize that this likely is a nice hang out spot for the local town folks and I do realize that this is also in a region of the country that is more friendly and lively but again 3 1/2 star hotels allow guests, from my experience, to feel some what sequestered from the the surrounding area so you can decompress a bit , as a traveller. I suspect it is a matter of taste.
3. I agree the area at night does not look very safe (I am not necessarily affraid of rough areas. I travel alot but I can see how someone might be a bit wary). That being said, it may be just because Allentown is in a process fo rennovation and there is reclaimation of the downtown area. I did take some pause to make sure things were good when crossing over from the parking structure (an alley/small street separates the two) to the hotel.

In summary it's unfair to completely slam the hotel without taking into consideration that it is located in the heart of an area that may not have seen the best of times in recent years. My only contention is that it is not a 3 1/2 star hotel. If it was listed at 2 1/2 stars it would have that rating solidly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Allentown Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear melafela,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. However, I would also like to apologize for the undesirable smell in the room. Rest assured that the issues you have raised has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A