“Disgusting!!! SO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!”

Rodeway Inn Allentown
Ranked #29 of 30 Hotels in Allentown
“Disgusting!!! SO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I am writing to let you know how awful our stay was at the Econo Lodge in Allentown Pennsylvania on Downeyflake Lane!! The rooms were absolutely disgusting!!!!! Spilled dried soda pop all over the safe, the rooms had a very stale foul odor , the clerk was more interested in his cell phone than his customers, the remote for the television had the batteries in by scotch tape, there was an ice bucket and yet no ice machine and the guests in the next room were listening to loud music till at least 2:30 am!!!! This was the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel!!!! Ever!!! Not to mention it cost us almost $100 !! Ridiculous !!

Diana Lynn

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Deedledee35

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Should have paid attention to the reviews here. We reached there midnight and just needed a room to spend the night. We could not wait for morning. The building is dirty(putting it mildly). The room had a bad smell to it. The carpets felt sticky. The windows were open but still it did not feel fresh in there. The bathroom had dirt in the corners and it smelled. One of the beds did not have a comforter, only a white sheet. When i went to ask for one, the front desk did not have any to give to me. He gave me a bed spread instead. Not worth the $80 we paid. The owner is friendly and so was the reception guy but everything else is downhill once you leave their front office. If you can, look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank brookeusa2002
Albany
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I stayed at this property a year ago and didn't realize it was the same motel when I made the reservation. The building is disgusting, the smell is overwhelming (although they try to cover it), one wall in my room had about a square foot patch with different color paint covering it, exposed hanging materials where a photo once hung, the inside rim of the toilet was black. I did not take the cover off the bed and slept on top of it so I don't know what the sheets looked like. The towels smelled like the building. I believe some of the guests may live at the motel, last year I woke up in the middle of the night when they returned and the party continued for hours. This year I woke up, but the loud noise/voices/cranked car stereo only lasted about 15 minutes. I did not feel safe, if I didn't push the door hard enough it didn't click to lock and the door could have been opened without the key. I recall having the same problem last year and I was in a different room. The clerk tried to sell me a room with a Jacuzzi, I can't even imagine what that would have looked like. Honestly, I cannot believe this motel carries the name of a major chain.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Sheri H
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Dirty rooms, the outlet looks so burned a fire could start at any moment. RUDE emplyee bangs on the door askign us to leave when we had ONE MORE NIGHT stay, never apologized, just stormed off like a total idiot, Loud, trashy people partying all night long, the owners must take money from whomever and not care what goes on there, Disgusting. never. ever, ever, again.

Room Tip: stay somehwhere else
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Melody B
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We used a travel coupon, but should have checked this place out on the Internet,. The majority of the other reviews are correct. Though the bathroom was clean, it looked like the paint on the bathroom door around the knob hadn't been cleaned in months (years?). The room smelled ok, the AC was fine, but no hot water at night for a shower. It was barely lukewarm. Though the room was otherwise clean, the stairs to the 2nd floor looked like they hadn't been vacuumed. Had to pull the door tightly to get it to lock. Breakfast was a travesty. The "orange juice" looked like orange kool aid. I don't know what the liquid red stuff was. I didn't eat anything there. When you check in you are given the TV remote (apparently people have walked off with them). That was a first for me and didn't give me confidence. The room was missing a wash cloth and hand towel. When I mentioned this to the person at the desk at check out, he didn't seem to care. We had a second floor room. One area on the first floor seemed to have unsavory characters hanging about. After we checked in, my wife read the fine print on the room rental agreement. Turns out you get charged $1.50 per night for the safe even if you don't use it. Had to get that refunded on my credit card on check out. I checked the mattress for bed bugs and didn't see any signs, but another post mentioned them, so this has me a bit nervous.

Room Tip: If you insist on staying here, ask to see the room first. A good way to check cleanliness *(if every...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank J M
Blomidon, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I blame myself for this bad experience as I failed to read Trip Advisor before booking. This place is horrid. The first indication we were in for a bad night was when immediately upon arriving, we dumped our bags, and left for a meal. We did 'close' the door behind us. Upon returning, the door was wide open. After our initial panic, we found that all of our valuables were still there...including passports and laptop. Inspecting the door we saw that it did not close properly at all. It looked closed, but unless it was slammed shut, the catch did not catch. There was no card reader in these old doors, which were in disrepair. Next problem...the TV. It decided to randomly go off...the screen just turned blue. We gave up on the TV. Next problem...there was no way of 'stopping' the pathetically small tub. My wife was not happy. Next problem...the paper thin walls. Two women decided to have a fight in the middle of the night...you heard every single word they were saying. Next problem...the A/C did nothing at all. Totally broken. You could turn it on...nothing happened. The breakfast? Forget it. You do not want to go into this dirty little hole to get their 'free' coffee. Leave fast...very fast. So, I complained to the 'front desk' when checking out. How was this handled? No apology. No credit. Only I was told I should have come and told the clerk of my problems, and they would all be fixed! Right...in the middle of the night I would get a new TV, a new A/C, a new tub, and a new door!! So, excuse me...it was all my fault. Oh, did I mention that the train comes right through your room a number of times during the night?? Well, it does! This was two horrible Econolodge experiences in a row, and I had one more Econolodge to go before arriving home. Thankfully, the next place was how a motel should be, and I now will proceed to give that motel a very good review!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else...please!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank BlomidonBud
Graham, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My husband and I are on vacation and needed a place to stay last night. We got a coupon from the books you can get at a welcome center and found this Econo Lodge for $49.99 plus tax. When we arrived we thought that the way the motel and office were cut up was kind of strange, but we gave it no more thought and proceeded to check in. The fella at the desk was not rude, but seemed put out that I had the coupon. We proceeded to drive around the motel to try and find the stairs to the 2nd floor. This motel is 2 floors with interier halls and quite difficult to get around in. As soon as we opened the stair door, we noticed an odor but it was not so over powering that we felt compelled to leave. We got into our room and we were terribly upset. The room was small and right away I noticed that the beds were hard and the 2 pillows on each bed were old and flattened. The sink area had not been cleaned, the mirror over the sink was nasty, the one soap had been opened and it looked like the one set of wash cloth and towel had possibly been used. In the bathroom, the vent was so loud that you could not stand being in there for any length of time, the lighting was poor, the bath mat looked like it had been used and the walls and floor were dirty. The knob to control the refridgerator temp was broken, the heat/air unit worked poorly and the furniture was old looking.The window was not shut tight so of course, it was not locked. There was no phone in the room to be found any where.There is a safe in the room but did not work. Had one of my grandsons not gotten sick on his stomache while there, we would have demanded our money back. I saved the best for last though....all night long we listened to freight and /or commuter trains go speeding by . The tracks are within 100 feet of the motel, on the back side. Every time one went by it scared us half to death. This Econo Lodge is on the same level as a Relax Inn or an Economy Inn and is so over priced. The only pros I could find was the tv package and the internet.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms because of the train....
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank KenandLin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Allentown
Holiday Inn Allentown Center City
Knights Inn Center Valley
Knights Inn Center Valley
#1 of 1 in Center Valley
Renaissance Allentown Hotel

Been to Rodeway Inn Allentown? Share your experiences!