“Interesting place to visit”

Clyde Peeling's Reptiland
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Allenwood
Type: Other
More attraction details
Owner description: Reptiles and amphibians from around the world await discovery at this world-class specialized zoo. Explore the realm of mambas, cobras, vipers, pythons, and other rare and beautiful snakes. Experience giant alligators, gentle tortoises, curious lizards, and colorful frogs. Stunning naturalistic habitats, fun interactive exhibits, live shows, and hands-on animal encounters make Reptiland an educational adventure for the whole family. Reptiland is a year-round destination with modern indoor exhibits. During warmer months, tortoises, iguanas, and Komodo dragons venture into outdoor habitats. Seasonal exhibits and special events make each visit unique. Amazing animals, personal attention, and friendly experts--an intimate wildlife connection!
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Our family (grandparents, children and grandchildren) was in the area for a reunion weekend at Knoebels. We decided to stop at Reptiland on the way there. It is a clean, modern facility and the half-hour show was informative, if not very polished. The kids enjoyed touching the lizard and snakes after the show. The displays are well labeled, the butterfly exhibit, while limited, entertained the family and the dinosaurs were a hit...particularly the spitting one. The only downside is the high price...much to much for many families.

1  Thank Grandmajoan

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Very cool place with some fascinating animals and animitronic dinosaurs to see! Its $16 to get in, but there are a lot of animals and two different demonstrations (although the alligator one is very short and it was just the employee talking about them for about 10 minutes). However, in addition to that, there are alligators, turtles, lizards, frogs, komodo dragons, even emus that you can feed (and they're oddly not that blocked off from visitors). The other demonstration, including a frog and snake that the person goes around with and you can touch was longer and much better. They have a cafe with pizza, pretzels, burgers, and hot dogs, but it was pretty expensive and didn't look like anything special. Gift shop is nice and has several things young children will love. Overall, it's a fun experience and it's worth seeing if you need a driving break or love reptiles.

1  Thank jjc927
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I finally stopped in on the way home from Canada. I'm so glad I did! Not at all expensive and wonderful exhibits.

1  Thank Deborah R
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We have driven by this zoo for 50 years hundreds of times and finally weren't racing the destination clock and could see what this was all about. On a whim, my husband and I stopped to investigate the promised mystery of a dragon lair for the first time today. Wow!!!

I had a vision of some slummy smelly concrete animal prison, with a reputation like another zoo further south on Rt. 15. Was I ever wrong!

First of all, this place ranks among the top best maintained (for the animals) and informative zoos I've ever visited. Second, I adore reptiles of every kind and this zoo had a fabulous variety with some of the best habitats I've ever seen. I've traveled the world and seen some of these creatures I their native lands, so I feel I'm speaking with some knowledge.

Third, lots of information, some quite differently presented. There was a short but very entertaining educational presentation with live animals. (At my age, I STILL love to touch our living fellow creatures, when it's ok for them.) Fourth, the zoo owners participate in preservation and breeding efforts of endangered species, which, for me, is the main redeeming feature of zoos.

The "live" dinosaur exhibit is extremely well done and realistic. The butterfly garden was just wonderful. The fair trade items in the gift shop were another testament to the moral and ethical integrity of the owners

I'm sorry I waited so long to visit! My kids would have loved it when they were little (and would today) and we'd have had a great stopping spot on the way to Grammy and Gramp in Buffalo all these many years. We are sure to go again.

All I can say is -- visit! Reward Clyde's hard work with your time and a little financial support. Mostly, how often do we get to channel our inner kid in such delights?

1  Thank CHemenway
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We visited with our grandchildren ages 6 & 4. They loved it! Had to travel 1hour 15 minutes each way but worth the trip. As others stated way too pricy and it cost us $60 to get in. Could have gone elsewhere for that price. But we wanted them to come once- yes wouldn't return at that price.
We were there almost 3 hours- saw 1 Alligator feeding and 1 lecture. We could have stayed much longer. I can't understand the reviews that said they were in and out in 45 minutes to an hour. Our grandkids loved the Dinosaur display and went through it twice. I'm sure it costs a lot to run but also sure hefty fee keeps people from coming back. It will us and thus only 4 stars. Very clean and well kept!