“Not up to Par with most Hampton Inns” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Altoona

Hampton Inn Altoona
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Altoona
Harrisburg, PA
“Not up to Par with most Hampton Inns”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

This is not the best Hampton Inn. Staff members are friendly, and the newly renovated lobby is nice, but the rooms are not up to par with most Hampton Inns. My sink was barely draining and filled up when you used it for a few seconds. I told the desk about it the night that I checked in, but it never got fixed during my stay. Wouldn't you think that housekeeping would have noticed and taken care of it? Room carpet was dirty, big stain on the chair, big yellow stain on the box spring cover/dust ruffle. Also, hard to find parking at night because of the sports bar next door.Location is otherwise good. Comfort Suites is much nicer, but further away from restaurants, etc.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Jeffrey C, General Manager at Hampton Inn Altoona, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out a review concerning your stay. I apologize for the inconveniences that you suffered while in your guest room. I have gone over your review with my Housekeeping team and management staff. I am glad you enjoyed our newly renovated lobby and breakfast area. Our guest rooms are scheduled to be remodeled starting at the end of October. We are very excited to create a brand new Hampton Inn Altoona for our valued guests like yourself. If you are ever back in the Altoona area for travel I hope that you will give us another opportunity and choose to stay with us again. Please call me directly and I will upgrade you to one of our suites.

Kind Regards,

814-312-9100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Durham, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

My stay here was great and I would recommend to stay hear Overall the experience was good just don't follow your GPS to get to the hotel it will take you to the wrong spot. Please just don't follow your GPS to get to the hotel it will take you to the wrong spot.just don't follow your GPS to get to the hotel it will take you to the wrong spot.just don't follow your GPS to get to the hotel it will take you to the wrong spot.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Jeffrey C, General Manager at Hampton Inn Altoona, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to fill out a response concerning your stay! I understand and appreciate issues in rural locations with the GPS systems. We have posted on our website a seperarte GPS address location for those wanting to use GPS Systems. Our driveway is not an incorporated road and therefore since that is our address it sometimes does not come up on GPS Systems. Again please look for the alternate address to put into your system which is posted on our website.

Regards,

Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

I've come to expect a higher level of professionalism and service at Hampton/Hilton properties over the years. Unfortunately, this location was a dissapointmet - the night clerk was rude at check in (for a HHonors Gold member, at that), the room was dingy, beds were small and lumpy, and breakfast was running out of food an hour before closing. I'll look elsewhere the next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Road_MomJ
Jeffrey C, General Manager at Hampton Inn Altoona, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us. I appreciate your comments and will share these with my team here at the property. I apologize for the behavior or the evening desk clerk and again will look into that situation. I also apologize for the status of the beds as these are relatively new to the property, I will work closely with the housekeeping and maintenance teams to make sure that each bed on property is being maintained at the highest level that should be expected for all of our valued guests. Our breakfast bar is offered from 6 am till 10 am, and I will again check with my staff to make sure that there is ample fresh food being offered during the entire time.

Again I appreciate your comments. The next time your travels bring you to the Altoona area my hope is that you will give our hotel another chance. Please call me directly and I would be happy to make your reservations and I will upgrade to a complimentary suite at no additional charge.

Altoona Hampton Inn
814-312-9100 (Direct dial line)
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

This hotel is undergoing major renovation but has not impacted the staffs friendliness, detail or needs or interrpted any aspect of our stay. Lovely new lobby and breakfast area. Ease of resturants, fastfoods, and shopping. Best of all because of this great location we were able to see all the fireworks from Lakemont Park setting in the parking lot! A must stay hotel if ever in Altoona Pa!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Terri M
Thank you very much for staying with us! and I appreciate getting a response to let us know how the team performed during your stay. I am glad that you enjoyed the amenities that the hotel has to offer including the newly renovated breakfast and lobby areas. It is a thrill and very special to be able to watch the fireworks display from the nearby amusement park from our building or parking lot. I am glad you and your family enjoyed that display. I hope to see you and your family again in the future.

Turtlepoint, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Very comfortable sleep in a clean well kept Inn. Staff was very friendly and courteous. Did not take advantage of the pool, hot tub or exercise area but we were told of them when checking in. The people at the front desk always greeted us. Breakfast was provided in renovated lobby and was adequate as continental breakfasts go. Easy access to the interstate.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for taking the time to fill out the survery concerning your stay! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed our newly renovated lobby and breakfast area. Again I appreciate your response and look forward to having you stay with us again.

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Hampton may be one of the most reliable mid-priced hotel chains in the country. Rarely is a stay at a Hampton less than satisfactory, and that is certainly the case at this high rise hotel at a busy commercial intersection just off I-99 in Altoona. You will find the usual Hampton amenities here and there is no reason to shy away from spending a night or a week here.

However, compared to the dozens of other Hamptons I've experienced, this one is in the lower 20%. Why? Customer service is not great. I stayed there using Hilton Honors Points and the front desk clerk rather laconically asked me for my credit card for incidentals but no mention of my loyalty to the brand. No big deal, of course, but symptomatic of the generally unenthusiastic attitude of the staff I encountered. My room was surprisingly wornout for a Hampton--cracks in the sink, frayed carpet, hole in the wall where the door apparently struck it when opening; scratched door, etc. Again, none of these problems are major but they are atypical of the Hampton flag.

The breakfast was OK but the breakfast room is grossly undersized for a large, five story hotel. The place on a Saturday morning was packed and guests had to fight for a seat. No evidence of the usual attendant to clean things up and the multitude of kids had savaged the place!

This property has an indoor pool, exercise room, and public computers, all standard for Hamptons. Because I stayed with points, I can't comment on the value but my assessment is that this should not be a $100 room; if you are paying that, you might shop around.

It is located across the street from a typical low brow shopping mall and is in the midst of a number of perfectly fine chain restaurants. It takes two turns off the highway to find the parking lot, which is plenty big to accommodate everyone.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Jeffrey C, General Manager at Hampton Inn Altoona, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts concerning your stay at our property. I am very sorry that the service was not up to Hampton standards. Our property is known for clean comfortable rooms as well as impeccable customer service, and I apologize that this was not your experience. I know that there are other lodging choices in the area and I appreciate your business.

We are in the mist of a renovation that will be completed sometime at the end of the year. As you probably noticed we have already renovated the first floor including the breakfast area. I again am sorry that you felt the area was too small for the size of our property. We are proud of the changes that we have made in accordance with the Hampton standard Perfect Mix Lobby. With our new front desk, breakfast area, fitness room and other updated amenities we are excited to have our valued customers like yourself stay with us!

AOOPA
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

Beautiful upgrade to lobby and breakfast area, since our last stay in Decemember. The staff is still the same friendly smiling Front desk. Clean room and fresh smelling sheets....makes for it peaceful tired travelers sleep! Ample space for a king room and large bath. Great houskeeping staff and breakfast staff. One cannot go hungry with the vast verity of food! Coming back from a fourth of July picnic we wittnessed the beautiful firework display from Lakemont Park! What a nice surprise for us. Family oriented for holiday travel. Our grandchildren received three bracelets wjich they proudly displayed! A must stay hotel if traveling to Altoona. Impressive for a couple who travel various states 8 months of the year! Kudos to your staff!! Fantastic and ease of location to the mall and dining. Right off the intersate which made it easy to get to!

Room Tip: Call the hotel for the GPS address as it is different from the mailing. End rooms are great for chil...