“Great Family Bonding”

and up
Private Half-Day Walking Tour: Berlin Wall, Cold War and Checkpoint Charlie
Ranked #5 of 23 things to do in Altoona
More attraction details
Owner description: The eighth oldest park in the United States.
Winchester, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Family Bonding”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We took our family to Lakemont Park in Altoona, PA and we all had a blast. It is not as commerical compared to many other amusement parks. The lines are short and your able to get right on the rides. It was a great way to bond with my children.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Terri E

Carrolltown, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“horrible day ended with excuses for staff”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We went there for their summer kickoff free for memorial day...so glad it was free because if I would have had to pay for the experience I would be even more upset. They have signs and announcements that the park is smoke free and yet there are still ignorant people who walk around the park smoking...now I understand that the ignorance of the public is not the fault of the park but the employees do nothing to enforce it. We also went to the water park where another child ran across the park and knocked my daughter to the ground and to my surprise nobody noticed or saw a thing except for the ignorant people that thought it was funny. I thought that maybe she just jarred her wrist and maybe it would feel better if she got in the pool with the cold water only when she got in the pool there was two adult men horsing around splashing and tackling each other and coming close to the other people and children in the pool and the lifeguard also to my surprise never did a thing or asked them to maybe take it easy a little since the pool was crowded and filled with small children. We ended up just leaving the swimming area and when my daughter was knocked down her flip flops got broken and so I took her to the gift shop to see if they sold any to get her a new pair but when the rest of my family came out of the changing room my other daughter got separated from them and when I said that she was missing neither of the 2 staff members offered to call anyone or do anything to help find her and I even asked the girl could she please hurry and give me my change and show a little urgency for the fact that my child was missing. So then my family split up to find her and I grabbed my other children and told them all to hold hands and quickly follow me to find her. As I crossed the bridge leaving the swimming area I saw her coming towards me in a cart with an employee. When I went back toward the swimming area to find the rest of my family to let them know that she was found...my mother was still trying to get the girl at the gift shop to call someone to find her. We then left the park and I took my daughter to the hospital and it ended up that she broke her wrist. So when I called the park to tell them my experience at the park I was given the excuse that the park was extremely busy and that they did the best they could and that the staff is trained that they cannot leave to look for a child. And that they are not supposed to enforce the smoking rule. Well if they cannot handle a busy park then they need to get more staff and if they are seriously trained not to enforce the rules then in my opinion they are doing a serious disservice to the rest of the guests. Also I did not expect either one of those girls to leave their area to look for my daughter but for goodness sake they could have shown some concern and at least called or used a radio to let the rest of the staff know that she was missing and that we were still in the swimming area. Anyway if this is what they feel is acceptable training and behavior for their staff then I don't think that I want to to my family there anymore especially considering the fact that it is an old and outdated park and not worth putting my family at risk of the poorly staffed and managed park.

Visited May 2014
4 Thank Emily T
Gallitzin, Pennsylvania
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Lakemont”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Place needs updated. Some of the rides are old and authentic. The train is a must ride. Do not ride any of the rides that will make you dizzy

Visited September 2013
2 Thank ns3347
Altoona, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“In dire need of updating”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Lakemont Park used to be beautiful with mature trees and the finest wooden carousel, but the county sold the park and the trees were cut down and the carousel was sold in pieces to the highest bidder. The rides haven't been updated in years. The park food is terrible. There is a water park that young children will enjoy. Older children and teens would find Lakemont Park boring. It is so worth the extra miles (approximately 17) to go to DelGrosso's Park in Tipton, PA, which has fantastic water slides, wonderful rides for young children and adults and the best park food ever. Unlike Lakemont Park, DelGrosso's does not charge an entrance fee.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank 64PamS20
Greensboro, North Carolina
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Carnival like, but good fun for the price!”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Don’t expect a big time thrill park- think more along the lines of traveling carnival and you won’t be disappointed.

Lakemont is a small, family park. It has all the typical rides that you’d expect to find on a carnival midway, with the added attraction of a big roller coaster and a speedway (additional fee for each). The rides are predictable, but fun for people who enjoy that type of thing. If you like rides but hate waiting in line, spend a day here. In a lot of cases, you can stay on the ride for multiple trips because of a lack of a line (weekdays). I like to go to amusement parks for the rides (as do my kids), so this is a big draw for us.

The games are carnival like in nature, and few and far between. There’s nothing outstanding about the food- the quality and price are about what you would expect to find at a park- mediocre a bit pricey. They do allow you to bring in your own food and have plenty of spots to set up for the day. If you plan right, you can get away with just paying the price of your admission.

The park does have a sizeable arcade in the middle. It’s your typical, wind 8000 tickets and take home this crappy stuffed animal type, but some kids seem to love it since they’re so hard to find these days…

The kiddie area boasts a decent amount of rides for the younger set. It was enough to keep my two year old busy for an hour while the older kids rode some of the bigger rides. (They get you with the duck game and ice cream smack in the middle of the rides!)

A big draw is the water park, but be warned- IT’S COLD!!! While it’s made for younger kids, you feel like you’ll get hypothermia in a matter of minutes. Whether it’s 70 or 90, the water seems to feel a constant 40 degrees. It’s uncomfortable until you finally numb up. I find this every time I go here. Fortunately, the water in the larger pool area and the water slides seems to be a little more regulated and bearable. The slides are fun for the older kids, but could stay a little more supervision. I’ve see kids coming down on top of each other and a few collisions in the bottom pool.

One other small, but notable, feature- the walkway to the water park goes over part of the lake that is FILLED with catfish. They’re literally stacked on top of each other and can’t wait for you to feed them (food machines are beside the water). On some days, you can also find the ducks that will eat right out of your hand. We always bring a roll of quarters and spend a bit of time here since my kids are huge animal lovers.

You can go here on the cheap and have a great family day, as long as you have reasonable expectations. We live about 40 minutes away and usually come twice a year and the girls love it. There’s no doubt that we’ll be back again this year.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Jenn S

Been to Lakemont Park? Share your experiences!