“CHEAP & FUN”

and up
Private Half-Day Walking Tour: Berlin Wall, Cold War and Checkpoint Charlie
Ranked #5 of 23 things to do in Altoona
More attraction details
Owner description: The eighth oldest park in the United States.
highwayman935
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“CHEAP & FUN”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Slipped in before the ball game and took a ride on the wooden roller coaster and a few other rides. They had a "dollar days" event while I was there. Admission: 5 dollars for the whole day. Putt putt golf, rides, go-karts, you name it. The place was well kept and clean. I had a blast. Haven't been to this place in twenty years and I had just as much fun as ever.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank highwayman935

Hagerstown, Maryland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“not the park I remembered...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Took my grandkids with my daughter to Lakemont for a day out. I knew going in that it isn't one of the "mega" parks like some of the other major amusements but I did expect the park to at least try. One of the very few GOOD things was I accidentally left my purse on a bench and someone returned it to the park office. Kudo's for the guests. The staff not exactly personable but at least they were friendly with the kids. We did stop for food, thought the prices were actually fair though they did make mistakes with the order. First with three small children and an obvious advertised special for kids they charged us for the adult meal. After which they never added one item and forgot another. They did try to fix the mistake but by this time my aggravation was no where near being consoled. After paying one price admission you then need to pay additional fares for a couple of the rides....one price, not really. The swimming area...lifeguards were to interested in talking to each other than paying attention to kids. Thank goodness I keep a steady eye on the kids myself. At one time a golf cart with an employee drove through several families without even a "excuse me". I was getting quite concern about the safety of the guests not alone my grandkids. simple golf cart doesn't seem threatening but in my mind shouldn't have even been on the narrow path that has families and small children.

Appearance can say alot, wood railing needed a coat of paint (peeling) staff was interested in conversation and not in the guests. Many of the buildings were empty and not in use seemed more like a ghost town than an amusement park. Its a shame, last couple of times to the park friendliness was more prominent and people were actually engaging with the guests. Even areas of the rides that had replacement wood and such wasn't even painted. It was a complete disappointment.

Last but not least bring cash there is no atm nearest one is approximately two minutes away by car. Some of the places there took MC, VISA and etc but many didn't. This place was a decent family place when my children were small but I don't think my grand children will be returning.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Sandra J
Winchester, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Family Bonding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We took our family to Lakemont Park in Altoona, PA and we all had a blast. It is not as commerical compared to many other amusement parks. The lines are short and your able to get right on the rides. It was a great way to bond with my children.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Terri E
Carrolltown, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“horrible day ended with excuses for staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We went there for their summer kickoff free for memorial day...so glad it was free because if I would have had to pay for the experience I would be even more upset. They have signs and announcements that the park is smoke free and yet there are still ignorant people who walk around the park smoking...now I understand that the ignorance of the public is not the fault of the park but the employees do nothing to enforce it. We also went to the water park where another child ran across the park and knocked my daughter to the ground and to my surprise nobody noticed or saw a thing except for the ignorant people that thought it was funny. I thought that maybe she just jarred her wrist and maybe it would feel better if she got in the pool with the cold water only when she got in the pool there was two adult men horsing around splashing and tackling each other and coming close to the other people and children in the pool and the lifeguard also to my surprise never did a thing or asked them to maybe take it easy a little since the pool was crowded and filled with small children. We ended up just leaving the swimming area and when my daughter was knocked down her flip flops got broken and so I took her to the gift shop to see if they sold any to get her a new pair but when the rest of my family came out of the changing room my other daughter got separated from them and when I said that she was missing neither of the 2 staff members offered to call anyone or do anything to help find her and I even asked the girl could she please hurry and give me my change and show a little urgency for the fact that my child was missing. So then my family split up to find her and I grabbed my other children and told them all to hold hands and quickly follow me to find her. As I crossed the bridge leaving the swimming area I saw her coming towards me in a cart with an employee. When I went back toward the swimming area to find the rest of my family to let them know that she was found...my mother was still trying to get the girl at the gift shop to call someone to find her. We then left the park and I took my daughter to the hospital and it ended up that she broke her wrist. So when I called the park to tell them my experience at the park I was given the excuse that the park was extremely busy and that they did the best they could and that the staff is trained that they cannot leave to look for a child. And that they are not supposed to enforce the smoking rule. Well if they cannot handle a busy park then they need to get more staff and if they are seriously trained not to enforce the rules then in my opinion they are doing a serious disservice to the rest of the guests. Also I did not expect either one of those girls to leave their area to look for my daughter but for goodness sake they could have shown some concern and at least called or used a radio to let the rest of the staff know that she was missing and that we were still in the swimming area. Anyway if this is what they feel is acceptable training and behavior for their staff then I don't think that I want to to my family there anymore especially considering the fact that it is an old and outdated park and not worth putting my family at risk of the poorly staffed and managed park.

Visited May 2014
4 Thank Emily T
Gallitzin, Pennsylvania
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Lakemont”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Place needs updated. Some of the rides are old and authentic. The train is a must ride. Do not ride any of the rides that will make you dizzy

Visited September 2013
2 Thank ns3347

Been to Lakemont Park? Share your experiences!