“A very worthwhile stop”

Altoona Railroaders Memorial Museum
Ranked #2 of 23 things to do in Altoona
More attraction details
Owner description: A museum celebrating the history of the railroad in industrial America.
Lombard, Illinois
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A very worthwhile stop”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

After going to the Horseshoe Curve, we went to this museum which had very well designed exhibits and a film which even those who aren't big railroad fans can enjoy. The rolling stock exhibit outside is not exceptional, in comparison to the Penn. Railway Museum at Strasburg, but ok. The indoor experience more than makes up for that. I learned quite a bit and have a great respect for the contributions of the Pennsylvania Railroad.

You can buy a combo ticket for the Horseshoe Curve, which is south of town, and the museum. You can definitely spend quite a bit of time at either attraction.

3 Thank lernakid

Latrobe, Pennsylvania
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Wonderfully Designed Museum”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We visited this museum as a couple in June near the ending of it's business day. The museum only had a few visitors while we were thing, making it very easy to walk around and see everything. There was so much to see! Three floors of interactive, interesting, and well-displayed exhibits covering every aspect of the Railroad industry/area. There was something for everyone and so much to absorb and take it. All the displays were easy to view, hear, and understand. It was a little warm and could've used some more A/C would be my only 'complaint'! There was a huge gift shop with quite a variety of reasonably priced merchandise. The one staff member at the entrance desk, was friendly and helpful when we purchased our tickets. There were a couple of train cars out in the grounds, but we did not have time to see them. The ticket price included viewing the Railroad Curve museum which we also drove to see, before they closed.
Overall, I 'd definitely recommend this museum to anyone interested in railroads, history, Western PA or to anyone with middle age to older children.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank GRNEYEDgirl3201
Montgomery County, PA
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 184 helpful votes
“Great way to spend a rainy morning in Altoona”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I purchased the combination ticket that included access to the incline at the Horseshoe Curve (the combo can be purchased at either location). After visiting the curve when it opened at 9:00 AM, I drove to the museum which is about 10 minutes away if you don't get lost as I did briefly.
By the time I arrived rain had started so I didn't mind spending several hours inside on a summer day.
I recommend watching the two orientation films that are available on the first level of the museum. In combination the two will take about 50 minutes. One deals with the Horseshoe Curve and the other with Altoona and the Pennsylvania Railroad.
The displays dealing with life in the railroad "boom town" that Altoona became and with railroading, its equipment, business and management are interesting, nicely done and often interactive. I spent about 3 hours total here.
Overall, I was pleased with the visit and recommend it. While there are several rail cars on display that I did not visit, THIS IS NOT A ROLLING STOCK DISPLAY like the PA Railroad Museum in Strasburg, Lancaster County or Steamtown in Scranton.

1 Thank JEDMAD_9
Elmwood Park, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful museum”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is a beautiful museum. Visually appealing, very interactive (good for the kids), and real train cars you can explore. Interesting little video too!

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“If your into Rail Roading”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Museum was of interest to me, however the wife became bored very early on. It is a Handy Capped person friendly site, except for outside grounds.

1 Thank Hal01