“A few problems”

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Bridgeville, Pennsylvania
“A few problems”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

We chose this location over a couple others in the area based on the excellent reviews we read on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, we were somewhat disappointed. Like another reviewer around the same time, the main problem was the front desk. We arrived at 5 pm and were told that there were no clean rooms available, but that they would have one within 10 min. They claimed this was because they were sold out the previous night. No big problem. We waited and were given a key to a room, only to find that the maids were still working on it!
We took a look at the pool, but decided against trying it, as it just didn't look that inviting.
The room was clean and fairly large. I would have traded in the marble in the bathroom for more water pressure.
The breakfast was good and the lady working the breakfast bar was very pleasant. The forks were awful flimsy for cutting a nice waffle.
On our return to the room the 2nd day of our stay we discovered that the key card no longer worked. A trip to the front desk remedied this, but it should never have happened.
Also I asked if they had any pillows which were firmer, but they didn't.
It was a good hotel with a nice lobby and room appearance, but because of front desk problems, not worthy of 4 or 5 stars.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Kurt S, General Manager at Comfort Suites Altoona, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
I am sorry that your room was not ready for you upon your arrival. I am also sorry that your room key quit working for you. Sometimes the cards loose their magnetic code if they are too close to a cellphone. I hope you will try our hotel again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in a very quiet area right off of I99. The room was large with 2 beds and a seperate sitting area. The room had a K cup coffee machine. We also enjoyed the breakfast that was offered. We ail definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you enjoyed the K-cup coffee machine in your room. We find that guests like the modern conveniences that our hotel provides. We look forward to seeing you again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

As usual, the reviews on tripadvisor are spot on. The hotel was great. Large room, clean, great location for us. Breakfast was great. Pool is small but does its job. I highly recommend. We went as a family of 5 to visit the local amusement parks.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for you kind review. I am pleased that you and your family had a great time both in our hotel and at DelGrosso's Amusement Park. We hope to see you again very soon.
GRINNELL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

Just got done with a very stressful 500 mile drive through construction and various stop and go traffic. Needing a break. Arrived at 4:30PM. Check in is at 2PM. Ours room was not ready according to front desk clerk. Would be at least 30 more minutes. Throwing excuses our way. Really not interested in it. She did though swipe my credit card and act as if all was well even though she knew room was not available. Almost decided to keep driving further down road but we were shot and went to find something to eat. Hotel is probably 6 miles or more from anything. Got something to eat - got back around 5:45 and told room was ready. She again asks for my credit card and I reminded her she already swiped it "oh". Then asks for official government ID for governement rate - yep fine I got that. Funny in all my years of traveling and staying at choice hotels this is the first time this has happened. Then she asks me what official government business I am traveling on. - really- this is none of your business sorry lady. Felt like I was being treated second class and this is the same place that I am already getting checked in late due to lack of planning or staffing or caring not sure.

Rooms are very nice. Pool is very small no hot tub and uncontrolled kids. Same goes for lobby area group of rude uncontrolled 10-12 year olds wrestling around and using bad language. Like a mini zoo. I don't expect staff to raise others kids and teach parenting 101 but they did not do anything to remedy this. I finally yelled at some kids around 11pm as they were running and yelling down the hallway. Cmon parents step up.

Breakfast area is tiny. Breakfast fare is per usual and decent

Hotel itself and rooms are very nice and clean. Just a bad taste from the little animals running around uncontrolled and the front desk inattentive and lack of caring.

Also when I made reservation...not sure why I waste the time and keystrokes stating I would like an extra blanket and pillows upon arrival. Request not met.

3 Thank IowaKclan
I am sorry that you did not get the service that you expected from our hotel. We try to have all rooms ready for guests when they arrive. We also try to give guests a later check-out when they are in need of a later stay. All of our rooms do have extra blankets and pillows in the closet. I hope you stay with us again and have a better experience.
Frederick, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

We stayed for one night and the hotel was completely booked. However, the hotel was great. Room was very nice with very comfortable beds (we had the King suite with sofabed). The free breakfast was excellent and although crowded, there was no shortage of food. The pool was very nice, but it would be nice if they had a hot tub too.

Location is a little bit on the outskirts of Altoona.

Highly recommend!

1 Thank bkapla1
Kurt S, General Manager at Comfort Suites Altoona, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We try to make each and every guest feel at home every time that they visit us. I am very glad that you enjoyed breakfast because we try to anticipate items for our buffet that will please everyone.
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

There is nothing like a new hotel. Although this one has been there for over a year, the staff has kept it so clean that it looks brand new.

In addition to a clean comfortable room, fridge, good TV and comfortable bed, fast internet connection, great shower, the housekeeping staff was really great. I had a couple of needs, and they were on it immediately.

I had a couple of encounters with staff, one was a nice redhead and the other was with a guy named Paul, and they take pride in serving their guests and keeping the place pristine.

If you are looking for a place to stay in the Altoona area, this is a very solid place to rest and get some work done.

Room Tip: Like all hotels like this, the top floor is more quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am pleased that you had many positive interactions with our staff. We believe that we have a great hotel and we also have a great deal of pride in our staff. We look forward to seeing you again.
Frederick, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

Stayed at this hotel on a recent visit to Del Grosso Amusement Park. It is but a short drive from the park so it is a great location. The exterior appearance is quite appealing; a newer hotel. The interior is quite pleasant. The staff quite pleasant.
The pool was nice and the pool area well maintained and clean.
The only drawback was the design of the breakfast area - too many people trying to do things in a small congested area. If it were only one or two people there it would be fine but more than that it is pandemonium.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Comfort Suites Altoona, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Occasionally the breakfast area does become busy with guests eating at the same time. We do offer additional seating in some of our function rooms when possible to try to provide a more comfortable setting for our guests.