“Great place to stay”

Comfort Suites Altoona
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We have stayed at this Comfort Suites a dozen times and it is uniformly clean, very comfortable, with spacious rooms and baths, and very nice, helpful staff. The beds are very comfortable, and there is a tiny pool and exercise room. There is nothing around, so get your meals elsewhere. The breakfast is very basic, but you can make your own waffle, and they have yogurt, cereal, apples and oranges, and other less healthful options, and the coffee is decent (from a picky coffee drinker). It's the best place we've stayed anywhere from Tyrone to State College.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room. The south rooms face a small hill and trees -- a nicer view than the parkin...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Jodie Z, Manager at Comfort Suites Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

A "Great Place to Stay" is what we like to hear! Thank you very much for your kind words. We are very happy you found our rooms so comfortable and spacious. The extra space is a big turn on to our guests. My staff takes pride in their work so I'm pleased to hear the staff exceeded your expectations. We thank you again and we hope your "dozen times" will turn into another dozen times when staying with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel, clean and comfortable. It's off the interstate a little bit so there is no road noise. Would stay here again. Heated pool is nice, a little small but nice. Wish they had a hot tub, after a day of skiing would have loved a hot tub. Only downfall, not a lot of parking when you get in late.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 959dawnk

After a long fun day of skiing, we thank you for such a wonderful review! Blue Knob Ski Resort is a big hit in the winter time. We hope you come back next year for another ski trip and to then experience another comfortable stay with us. Again, thank you very much and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Good price and nice room with the suite added space. Not in town but has one good restaurant
close by. They attack the problem of many hotels not having NIGHT LIGHTS in the bathroom but
not with a good solution. The bathroom light is on a motion detector which is good but the light
is too bright in the middle of the night. I always carry my own night light.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your review! Many people enjoy the added space we have in our suites so I'm very happy to hear that was accommodating for you. I'm pleased to hear you experienced Marzoni's down the road for dining as well. It's quite a highlight hearing all of the good comments from people when they come back from lunch or dinner. We hope we have the pleasure to serve you the next time you are in town. Thank you again!

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I wanted a romantic Christmas gift for my fiancée she has been ill for some time and I wanted something special for her ,in November I booked a juccuzzi room for us for December 18th we arrived and they said we didn't have a reservation gave them the confirmation number said it was for November 18th.Wow that's funny that's about the time it was booked I spoke personally to them to reserve apparently someone doesn't know how to do their job.All we were offered was a regular room and they called a sister motel within 15miles no jaccuzzi room available .No more offered in my opinion they should do more to please their customers.We do this quite often for each other we don't want a regular room this was our first time to this motel and they really disappointed us.We always spend extra for the jaccuzzi suite because that's what we enjoy.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank monicaimler
Kurt_Stull_GM, General Manager at Comfort Suites Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

I am sorry that you were less than happy with the service that you received at our hotel. We try to always make sure that we treat all of our guests with superior service. Please come and stay with us again.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

The hotel is newer. The lobby and breakfast area were nice and clean. The breakfast was good. The location was right off the highway and not to far from PSU. The mattress sloped into the middle, which is my only complaint. Hopefully they will replace the mattress soon.

Room Tip: We stayed on ground floor need lobby. Our room was quiet, no problems.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank schinnyNewJersey34

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are always looking for ways to improve our property and I will be sure to look into your comment about your bed. Please come see us again soon.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband and I stay at this hotel frequently, basically just as a get a way. This is by far the best hotel in the Altoona-Johnstown area. Very large, clean rooms and the staff is always friendly, especially at the breakfast bar. The price is reasonable, especially when considering the nearby hotels (Hampton Inn, Marriot, even the Holiday Inn is more usually) This hotel is newer and very well decorated. I would highly recommend that if you need a hotel in the area try the Comfort Suites!

Room Tip: All the rooms are suites so you can't go wrong with your choice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Kurt_Stull_GM, General Manager at Comfort Suites Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Than you very much for your kind review of our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and I am happy that you mentioned the value that you received at our hotel. I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

On Oct.20 at 12:10 am, I attempted to make a reservation at this hotel on Choice Hotels website for Oct. 21-23. I was repeatedly taken back to previous screens by the reservation system. When I received my confirmation the later that day, I realized the reservation was actually booked for October 19, even though I made the reservation on the 20th. I contacted Choice Hotels and they instructed me to contact the hotel directly. I did but no manager was available at it was suggest by the front desk to talk to a manager when I checked in. She did book me a room for the 21st, but had no rooms available for the 22nd. When I checked in I spoke with the manager on duty. Later that evening he informed me that he could only refund half of the hotel rate for the mistaken reservation and I would still be charged roughly $75 of the $150 total bill. He went on to explain that he had an obligation to the hotel owner to collect for the no show stay.
1. It was obvious that I did not intend to stay on the 19th, when I did not make the reservation until the 20th.
2. What about their responsibility to the business traveler that has stayed 97 nights in hotels this year. Yes, that is an accurate number.
3. They still got my money as I stayed on the 21st and tried to stay on the 22nd.

If this had happened at Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn, which is where I normally stay and in the same price range as this hotel, there would have been no issue with correcting the problem.
This hotel is horribly overpriced for the amenities and service. I feel I was ripped off by both the hotel and the Choice Hotels reservation system. I was attempting to give Comfort Inn a test run and they failed miserably. I cancelled two other reservation that I had booked and do not plan to do business with them again. They had their chance. Spend you money elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeff C
Kurt_Stull_GM, General Manager at Comfort Suites Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

I am sorry that you did not feel that we handled your problem correctly. I am also sorry that you had difficulties with making your online reservation and made a reservation for a room on a wrong date.
As you explained to me, you discovered the problem on the next day after we charged you for the room that was reserved. We make sure that all of our guests with guaranteed reservations have a room with us on the day of their arrival. I apologized to you and attempted to solve the problem with you in person, and I am sorry that I did not meet your expectations.