“Altoona, PA - first visit”

Comfort Suites Altoona
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Was in town for a memorial service.. First time in Altoona. The Comfort Inn Suites were lovely. Roomy & clean. Only complaint is that the room doors are very close.. I thought someone knocking on another door was knocking on mine.. staff very helpful....

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Jodie Z, General Manager at Comfort Suites Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. We strive to ensure each and every guest experience is satisfying. Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I had to travel to Altoona on a recent business meeting. The meeting was held at the Holiday Inn Express but I don’t like to take any chances when it comes to lodging so I elected to stay at the Comfort Suites as I’ve never had a problem with any of their hotels. Again, I wasn’t disappointed.

The hotel itself is located conveniently between Route 220 and I-99 which was a straight shot to both downtown and to the Holiday Inn Express, where our meeting was held. It is also located just far enough away from any noise.

This particular hotel is independently owned and operated which may be part of the reason it was so clean and well kept. The staff was friendly upon check in and I had my room key within two minutes of walking in the door. This may not sound too impressive but considering I didn’t check in until after 11PM on the first night, I found the night staff to be far above the mark of many other hotels where I’ve stayed.

There is a small swimming pool w/ handicap access and the pool is very rarely ever in use. Towels appeared to be stocked and safety equipment was close by.
There is also a small exercise room with two or three different cardio machines and a T.V. Again, the towels were stocked.

I didn’t get a chance to look at any of the meeting rooms.

THIS PLACE HAD THE BEST BED I’VE EVER SLEPT ON. I’ve never been able to sleep on my back… I slept on my back and woke up feeling like a million bucks!

Also… there is a charging station for all your USB devices located on the desk in the room. Very nifty – I’m now thinking about installing one of those things at the office!

The breakfast was okay. I’ve had better from CS hotels. Sausage, egg, egg/cheese omelets, bagels, doughnuts, muffins, cheese, waffles, yogurt, fruit, juices, etc. I was a little disappointed that they didn’t have any sausage gravy ( I know, I’m picky), but I made myself two breakfast sandwiches and everything was dandy.

Some great things to do in Altoona:

Go to an Altoona Curves Baseball Game!!! Tickets were paid for by the host of our meeting and we had tickets to the picnic area. Two hours of great chicken, ribs, hot dawgs, hamburgers, and refreshments along with all the fixings. While I didn’t pay for this trip to the ballpark, I will in the future! The game was great, the beer was cold, and the food was pretty good too. The staff at the park was awesome!

I also visited Lakemont Park – just so I could ride the wooden rollercoaster. Seriously, they had a weekend package for 5$ to ride all day long. I’d say that was a pretty good deal. The attractions are more like a permanent carnival ground but they also have putt-putt golf, some water attractions, and go-karts. I can honestly say I had fun (and I didn’t realize those carnival rides would impact me the way they did). I was there 20 years ago… 20 years later… the vertigo nearly took over!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank highwayman935

Thank you for your kind words of praise regarding your recent stay at our property. We are delighted to hear that we have met your expectations. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff's efforts. We do rotate our breakfast selections and sausage gravy is one of them. Please don't hesitate to request it on your next stay. We hope to serve you again and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here during a trip visiting DelGrosso Park. The location is nice and quiet and very clean. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was average. The pool area needs some work, even being new. The drywall is separating on the ceiling. But overall, it was a great experience here.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank japrice

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at our property. We are pleased to hear that you found our location convenient and clean. As for our pool area, we are currently in the process of repairs. We appreciate your feedback and we hope we get another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Quiet clean hotel away from the bright lights and noise. Not much around it but it's right at an exit. No interstate noise. Not the cheapest place but we felt it was a great place to unwind for a few days.

Room Tip: Any room would be just fine.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Bruce T,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. We strive to ensure each and every guest experience is satisfying. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed for one night and found Comfort Suites to be exactly what we needed. We were in Altoona for a family funeral and the staff at the hotel were very sympathetic and welcoming. Our room was very clean, neat, comfortable, and quiet. Although the area was familiar to us, we at first were not sure where the hotel was, but as we approached it, we found it very convenient to everywhere we needed to go. When we return to Altoona, we will definitely return to the Comfort Suites. We like to stay at Choice Hotels because you always get quality and excellent customer service. At breakfast, Linda, the food maintainer was very hospitable and social. We appreciated her engaging conversation. Thank you for your pleasant and inviting atmosphere.

Room Tip: Rooms facing front have the best view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sarge931,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail us your nice comments on your recent stay at our Comfort Suites, Altoona, PA. On behalf of our entire staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise. We’re pleased to hear our clean hotel, friendly staff, and convenient location made for an enjoyable stay. We sincerely appreciate your business and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We are a family of five, including three kids ages 7 to 15. We stayed here for one night in April. The location, right off I-99, is very convenient. The room was large, with two beds plus sofa bed, high ceilings, and lots of extra floor space to spread out. The kids enjoyed the pool. The breakfast selection was good. The staff was very friendly. The price was very reasonable. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank family1991
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Great location off the highway up on a hill and one of the cleanest hotels I've stayed in! Really friendly staff- I'd definitely stay again!

I was here for business and one of the issues I sometimes run into is slow internet or limited outlets- not here!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Jodie Z, General Manager at Comfort Suites Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

We are so happy to hear such a kind review! My staff takes pride in their work so I'm glad to hear we made it so accommodating for you while you were here on business. Hopefully the next time you visit, it can be for pleasure and you are able to enjoy the weather and some of the great attractions we have nearby! Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again Daphne!