“Probably never again”

Relax Inn Altoona
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
“Probably never again”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I don't want to be rude about this because the owners are clearly working hard to improve the property, but I would not stay here again as there are lots of newer alternatives less than one mile away. This is an old one-story motel with parking right outside the door to your room. The room appeared to be clean although there was a small amount of mold in the shower tile grouting.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank elstravels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cumberland, Maryland
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I completely agree with Hollybabe921. I purchased a room for my family for 2 nights through Travelocity. It was described as "dated." This place was disgusting. My husband walked into the room grabbed our two children and ran straight back out. There were cobwebs everywhere, a secondary door (that did not have a door knob) but a chair was wedged up against it. The bathroom had mold in the grout on the bathroom floor as well as down the tub drain. At that point, we were scared to even touch the bed. My youngest daughter was seasonal allergies so this was absolutely not going to be an acceptable place for her to sleep. I immediately called Travelocity to demand a refund. While I was on hold, the manager came CHARGING out the door at me in an effort to try and explain that I was not seeing mold, but we had our mind made up. Initially, the manager indicated that he was only going to be refunding me for one night; since we had already checked in, I could not be compensated. After I explained in my "Mama Bear," voice that my child would not be sleeping in a place that was not up to health department regulations, I was refunded my entire bill. My children were horrified to see a man running at their Mommy and to say the least I was pretty scared myself. We now refer to this as our "Horror Movie experience." We were able to find another hotel down the road and had an enjoyable time in Altoona; no thanks to the "Relax Inn."

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank RadAbs

Travellers are raving about these Altoona hotels

Elmwood Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My husband and I had planned to stay here for 2 nights which we had booked on line through Expedia. Should have known from the condition of the office that we should have looked at the room before we checked in. It was horrible. As bikers, we are used to less than 4-star accommodations, but this grossed even us out! Room had 1 light, a lumpy bed, and bugs. The chairs outside were wooden and broken and there was debris lying about. We had just decided to stick it out till I saw the spider crawling on the bed and we were out of there. Ate the 2 nights we had paid and went to another hotel. These owners should be ashamed of themselves at any price.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hollybabe921
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed on the long weekend. Rooms were spacious, clean, and great value for money. The host was very courteous. Overall much better than some of the established names who charge a bomb. There is no restaurant on the property, but there are are quite a few from the vicinity to choose from. This is certainly not a hindrance.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pratap .
Horsham, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I got the room through Hotwire. So I bid on a 2 star hotel. The positive: the room was clean the mattress was not bad and there was hot water, good wifi and working air conditioning. The bad: no high def tv, old bathroom fixtures, definite wear and tear. It was livable for 1 night but I would not have stated another.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Mark J
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We knew that this property would definitely be no frills and very thrifty. However, that does not mean it should be covered with hair! The towels in the VERY stained bathroom were covered with long black hair. The bottom of the bathtub covered in long black hair. The sink.... yep, long black hair. Thankfully, we brought our own linens or else we would have slept in our car and just used the toilet in the room. We were not expecting The Ritz, but there are no dollar signs when it comes to cleanliness.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple