“"Friendly, helpful, CLEAN"”
Review of Courtyard Altoona

Courtyard Altoona
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Six of us were In town for the womens bowling tournment and had a wonderful stay. The Bistro Bar was quite expensive for our group of ladies that went. $9.00 for a two eggs and toast breakfast,But, we went exploring around the town and found good places to eat..Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 April 2012

booked this hotel on priceline. very clean, good location, and nice room. will definately go again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Looking forward to your next visit vishal s, thanks so much for the review!

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Overall, standard chain hotel with lobby upgrade including touch screen tv computer for local area info. Where things go wrong, as a business traveler, is with the food. Instead of a buffet breakfast, its a $9 two eggs with toast and frozen butter mess. Now, perspective is such that weekenders have time for this (I went back to my room and got ready since it took 10-15 mins to make my food), business travelers do not. There is a small snack alcove but its just a turn off. Go to Sakura for dinner. Drive 20 mins to Canoe Creek and run or hike on the trails. Go up to Chimney Rock for a nice view onto the area.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Thanks very much for your business and review ms9, we appreciate your feedback. Marriott is in the process of transitioning all Courtyards away from the buffet breakfast to the new Bistro where breakfast and dinner can be ordered a la carte. I feel badly that your breakfast took so long to prepare, please accept my apologies for the delay. I have to agree, Sakura is a great spot for dinner and Canoe Creek is definitely worth a visit while in the area. We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to Altoona.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

I went through Priceline and was so excited that they had upgraded me from my 2* selection to this 3* hotel. It seemed to offer everything I was looking for for a relaxing 3 day stay in Altoona. (April 3-5). It was advertised as having a restaurant, bar/lounge, indoor pool and hot tub and a gym. When I arrived, I had a number of bags so I asked for a bellboy - and there was none! I was told that I could use the baggage carrier and had to struggle to get all my bags out of my car, onto the carrier, through the doors, etc. When I finally made it back into the lobby, I told the front desk clerk that this was ridiculous so she helped me get it up to my room. It was still difficult trying to get it out of my room (it was big and the wheels didn't work right). Not what I would have expected at a 3 star Marriott! Oh well, I put it behind me and was pretty happy with the room. I had a rough day so I thought that I would get cleaned up and go down to the restaurant for a nice dinner and I couldn't wait to have a cocktail. When I went to the Bistro Bar and asked where the restaurant was, they said that there wasn't any, they were it! And there was no bar/lounge either, just a lame area that they tried to set up as a bar at the end of the counter with maybe 4 seats. All of this was right in the lobby. I was so disappointed, I just walked away and decided to go check out the pool and gym area. That was disappointing too. There was no one at the pool and the water looked stale and unattended to. Same with the hot tub. I could only see it from the outside though because my key card didn't work to get me in. I stepped into the gym and it was so small and smelly that I couldn't stay in it for 2 seconds. After such a long, grueling day I was too tired to leave the hotel to go try to find a restaurant so I finally gave in and ate at the Bistro. It was good but expensive. $12 for a salad. Breakfast was also good but expensive, another $12+.

Pros:
Good location, nice rooms, free internet in the rooms, everyone is extremely friendly.

Cons:
No restaurant, no bar, no bellboy.

Overall it wasn't a bad stay. I spent most of the time working in my room and I appreciated the free internet. The room was comfortable but my computer chair kept falling apart and the lights by the bed didn't work at all. The maid was friendly but sure didn't clean the room very thoroughly. She was in and out in about 2 minutes. It made me question the cleanliness of other areas, like the pool. I finally got into the pool area by jiggling my card (like the maid told me to) but it just didn't look too inviting so I never went in. Never went into the hot tub. Never worked out in the gym. The Bistro Bar isn't even open for lunch so I had to buy snacks to eat. They did have a wide variety of snacks - and you could buy a $15 bottle of wine for $40 if you wanted.

I couldn't complain too much because I think the rooms were about $130/night and I had only paid $65 through Priceline. I noticed that some rooms had balconies but I didn't get one, nor did I have a nice view. At the end of my stay, I struggled again to get my bags back downstairs and to my car, left the hotel, probably to never return...

Room Tip: If a restaurant and bar/lounge are important to you, don't stay here.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear Carol-inNJ,

I’m sorry you found your stay with us disappointing. I hope that Priceline didn’t mislead you about the type of service a Courtyard offers as opposed to a full service Marriott, where you will find a concierge, full service restaurant and separate bar, along with a larger fitness area. The offerings of a Courtyard are scaled down by design and the lower rates reflect the differences in amenities. Also, a full service hotel on Priceline typically rates 3 ½ stars, as opposed to 3. I hope this will help to avoid any confusion in the future.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

This was a last-minute trip over Easter weekend (April 7-8). We took a chance with Priceline, and we were put at the Courtyard by Marriott. We were so lucky! Fantastic staff (EVERYONE), super clean, very pretty rooms, sparkling clean public areas. We couldn't have asked for more. Unfortunately we probably won't be back, but that's only because my daughter is leaving Penn State Altoona. Sorry we didn't find it earlier! Great stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Construction is complete and everything is very nice. Staff and service was excellent for the entire stay. The small restaurant and bar in hotel was convenient and good, service was outstanding. We had a number of family members staying at the hotel to attend a family event nearby. After the event we gathered in the lobby seating area and extended our time together. The area was nicely decorated with comfortable seating, tv and internet access but mostly the atmosphere was a friendly fun place to relax and continue conversations.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We have stayed at several other motels here and didn't know about this motel but they are very nice. Even though there is construction going on we are very pleased with the room. Compared to the other choices I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: priceline for a good deal
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Altoona, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear Woodstockpilgrim,

We couldn’t have asked for a nicer review, thanks so much! It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,