“Phoenix Regulars”

Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife and I are regulars at the Phoenix and often you'll find us tucked in at the curve of the bar enjoying the libations and food offered at the Phoenix. The wait staff is friendly and attentive as is the bartender. The Phoenix boasts several Culinary Institute chefs on staff and a full time pastry chef. We are fans of the beet salad, the wedge salad, the risi bisi, the polenta, and most other side dishes and entrees. While not my favorite place to get a steak, the desserts and coffee are wonderful. All desserts are made in house, from the gelato to the cheesecakes, pies, and creme brulees.When the owners, Tony and Phylis are there, they make it a point to talk to each customer, thank them for coming, and invite them back. It's not necessarily a romantic atmosphere, but the dining experience is always good, even when they're crowded. Reservations recommended.

1  Thank markperehinec

Reviewed 2 May 2014

As so many local restaurants seem to fade away as the big chains move in, it is great that someone cared enough to save this little piece of Altoona's history. Newly remodeled with a remarkable interior that is both modern and fresh, The Phoenix has become an artsy and upscale experience tucked away in one of Altoona's local neighborhoods. The service was friendly and efficient, the atmosphere casual and relaxing, and the food was outstanding. We would highly recommend this place and will definitely return for another visit!

1  Thank phlegg
Reviewed 30 April 2014

In my previous life as a Consulting Corporate Chef I have had the pleasure of dining in the finest restaurants around the world! Since my retirement five years ago I have been hard pressed to find a pleasurable dining experience in my travels! I was however pleasantly surprised to find a hidden gem right in my own area, The Phoenix! The atmosphere was soothing and the cuisine was reminiscing of my families home place of San Pietro, Italy. Simple farm fresh Italian cuisine with a Mediterranean flair! As an appetizer I recommend the grilled shrimp with polenta. The shrimp (21/25 ct) were grilled to perfection and the polenta was creamy and flavored with butter, garlic, olive oil and Romano cheese. I enjoyed a side salad of orzo and feta cheese. Again very delicious. The orzo was cooked to perfection with a nice touch of lemon and fresh herbs! For an entrée I decided on the Chef's feature which was fresh salmon stuffed with lump crabmeat, sea scallops and shrimp finished in a wonderful beurre blanch sauce. Its been my experience that most restaurants tend to over cook salmon but this feature of the Phoenix was prepared to perfection! The salmon was moist and very delicious! On the lighter side I had asked the waitress if the salmon was locally caught and she replied that knowing Chef Curtis she was sure that it was, LOL!!! I shared this with Chef Beisecker and he replied that at least the waitress had his back covered! We order4ed the chocolate layer cake for dessert and it too did not fail my expectations. This cake was moist and kept tempting you to take one more bite! I cant tell you how delighted I was to find most such a HIDDEN GEM as the Phoenix right in my own back yard! Awesome!

1  Thank chefagi
Reviewed 8 April 2014

In a town where the culinary scene is really poor, The Phoenix is quickly establishing itself as the place to enjoy creative dining in a nice atmosphere. The beet salad and goat cheese was particularly tasty as was the duck over Penne with a nice au jus. Thumbs up on The Phoenix....nice job!!!

2  Thank DrDC12
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I visited this restaurant with my wife. We made a reservation, a table was held (it was extremely busy) and we were seated immediately. Appetizers were delicious, as were the entrees. I'm not a dessert person, but must admit that my tiramisu was just as pleasing as my steak. For the quality, the restaurant is incredibly affordable and could probably charge much higher prices if it were in a different city or area. As a side note, please realize that I NEVER bother to write reviews. This place is exceptional. I discovered the restaurant while working. I delivered product to their kitchen and was amazed at just how clean it was. I can promise you that you don't want to see storerooms and kitchens in most of the places you eat. The Phoenix is what I can only describe as "food network clean". There is nothing bad to be said about this restaurant besides the parking and location. It could most certainly be hard to find if you do not know the area, but it's well worth the search.

1  Thank 23Matt433

Been to The Phoenix? Share your experiences!