“Best little inexpensive Italian joint”
Review of Lena's Cafe

Lena's Cafe
Ranked #16 of 171 Restaurants in Altoona
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2013

No whistle and bells, just good spaghetti and meatballs! My husband has the sauce shipped to Florida!

Reviewed 6 July 2013

We dined here while passing through town. The homemade noodles were outstanding. The sauce was extremely tasty! I would highly recommend Lena's Cafe.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

A classic example of wonderful Italian "gravy" from the 1950's. With many relatives in Altoona, I have been eating here since boyhood, over 50yrs ago. Lena herself ran the kitchen for probably 50-60yrs until her death, then her twin sons, one of whom also passed, and now by remaining son. I always order large house salad, homemade noodles, 1 or 2 meatballs, a glass of Chianti "room temp" (yes, this is Central PA and some drink their red wine chilled), and extra sauce which is served in a saucer with spoon. Not at all a fancy place, decor is sort of like a dining room you find attached to a diner. I have always had good service, mostly by hard-working middle-age waitresses who are there to get you your food, not to become your best friend. You can take home sauce to go. It's not pre-packaged in jars, but ladeled right out of the sauce pot into a plastic quart container.

1  Thank Dave T
Reviewed 3 April 2013

A wonderful family-friendly restaurant with great pasta dishes and salad. The food is consistently good. Seating is a bit tight, but this is a place where you come for the great food, not the decorations. Prices are reasonable. I would definitely recommend to a friend.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

Lena's is our must-go restaurant when we are in town visiting family. Everything is homemade and delicious. We order the same thing every time; large rigatoni, two meatballs, and a house salad. The stuffed rigatonis are relatively new and are my new favorite. The sauce is to die for and your pasta is drenched with it. The seating area is limited, but worth waiting a few minutes for a table. If we don't feel like eating there, we like ordering it and eating it at home. I will admit the service isn't the greatest, but some waitresses are better than others and the food makes up for the slower service. If you're looking for an Italian home cooked meal, this is the place!

Been to Lena's Cafe? Share your experiences!