“Likely the Best Mexican Restaurant in Altoona”
Review of El Campesino

El Campesino
Ranked #26 of 171 Restaurants in Altoona
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The Best Mexican Restaurant in Altoona we've found in Altoona, but cold food being served? Had a hankering for Mexican so we stopped in Sunday for lunch, seated in bar area with Baron as our waiter.
Normally, service is much better but today slowwww. Cheese dip came out after 7-8 minutes, we assumed Baron forgot, but out it came "not hot" Then here comes our meals, my wife's burritos while tasty were slightly warm. My mole ranchero, while the plate waqs hot, the food was not and tasteless
It took so long for the waiter to pick up the check, I removed some of the gratuity I initially left because he was so slow coming around.
Guess, this is why we've not been back for over a year and likely won't be back anytime soon.

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

My friends and I frequent El Camp after work, especially for happy hour specials. They keep the margaritas coming and at a decent price for happy hour. The queso is AMAZING. The food is real, real chicken, real beef, delicious guac. Definitely hands down my favorite, and really only place, I would recommend for Mexican. Craving it right now just thinking about it! The menu has a huge selection for anyone and everyone. Love it.

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

We were visiting Altoona from out of town and happened upon El Campesino. There was a bit of a wait so we sat at the bar. The bartender was very friendly and helpful. Great selection of draft beers. We enjoyed fajitas at the bar and had a fun evening. Great value!

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I found this restaurant by accident about two years ago. I have returned several times since, and I travel more than an hour to get there...and it is well worth the drive. The staff is very pleasant and attentive, the portions are huge, and the prices are very reasonable. It is a very clean restaurant, meals are served very quickly and everything is fresh and consistent. Try it...you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed 19 June 2013

We were staying at the HIE just down the street and had a taste for Mexican. We were not disappointed. From the free salsa and chips, to the delicious (and large) margaritas, to the fajitas platter for two (only $22) we were well sated and our taste buds satisfied. Amazing to see our waiter carry four large platters and two dinner plates to the table next to us. We considered this dinner entertainment. Many of the guests appeared to be from the area and given the great food, great service and very reasonable prices this is easy to understand.