“Not pet friendly - pets tolerated if you are willing to pay $$$$$$$” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Inn & Suites

Clarion Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Altoona
Bluefield
“Not pet friendly - pets tolerated if you are willing to pay $$$$$$$”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Marked as pet friendly, but they require a $75!!!! fee for a pet. Plus two separate pages of registration. This was over half the cost of the room! I have paid $50 for a pet in a landmark hotle, but this level hotel should be in the $15-$30 range. Talk about a rip off.

Breakfast room is way too small for number of guests and if you decide to go outside to eat on patio tables, need to have someone open door (room key won't open door).

Room was standard HI Express room and was clean, but we left feeling totally ripped off.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear Mary S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. It is our pleasure to accommodate our guests needs the best way we can and we are so pleased you appreciate the room you had. We apologize for the disappointment the breakfast and the service you received had caused you. Please remain assured that we have recorded your comments and will forward it to the appropriate departments for future considerations. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Thank you again for your feedback and have a wonderful day!

Karen C
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

I spent two nites here at the end of July. The staff was very friendly. The complex was well maintained & the room clean/comfortable. The hotel was in close proximity to restaurants & freeways. I would stay here in the future & recommend it to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bill B
Allentown
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for a weekend in late July. Clean, nice and an above average breakfast (free).

Bed was ok, room quiet, and the staff was pleasant for a late checkin on a weekend when every room in town was booked.

• Stayed July 2013
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel on July 5 based on the good reviews from Trip-advisor, well aware that the "best" hotel in Altoona PA may not be up to our usual standards. But I was shocked by how horrible our experience was.

Where do we begin? Booked the hotel on points, and arrived at 2 am, on the first leg of a long trip. We were given our keys by the clerk, but as we came into the hotel with our bags, she grabbed us and told us she needed to change the keys, as she had give us a room that was already occupied. Lucky we saw her before we had gone to our, er, someone else's room and walked right in! Then, when we got our room, it had clearly been recently smoked in. (We requested non-smoking and the room was so-designated). The rooms are dingy, kind of dank...and the smoke on top of it made it awful. We complained. The clerk tried to find us another room, and sent us to the opposite end of the hotel to meet us to give us the keys. When we dragged our bags across the sprawling hotel to meet her, she told us the room only had one bed. For some reason, our son didn't want to sleep in the same bed with us, so we said find us another. After much huffing and puffing, she told us the hotel computers were on "audit" and she couldn't check for a room. Finally, she told us they were completely full. We couldn't get another room. We were told to complain to the manager in the morning.

Bed okay, pillows bad, bathroom clean but dingy. In the morning, we were so dragged out we didn't want to wait until 10 to fight with the manager, so we just checked out and left. Room on points, done. But we vowed to be done with HI Express forever after this substandard experience and hotel.

End of story, we thought, until we checked our VISA account today. The hotel had charged us $268.00 for a room that was supposedly paid with loyalty points. Faint with fury we called the hotel and spoke with the manager. He did an investigation and found out that our credit card, which had been given to them for incidentals, had been swiped for another room, and we had been charged for their two-night stay! Really! He was nice enough, and explained the clerk was new, and is reversing the charge, but this is too much. The hotel isn't that nice that they can afford to do this to customers for very long and keep their good reviews.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank HighlandCreek
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear HighlandCreek,

Thank you for being a IHG Rewards Club member and for leaving us a feedback. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service and it is our regret that we failed to deliver an exemplary performance in this context. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for any challenges you encountered with our hotel staff and for the condition of the room you received. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Despite your disappointments, I hope you give us another chance to rectify this unsatisfactory experience. Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose IHG for your travel needs.

Lera P
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

The welcome was awesome. Was given a choice of complimentary snack and drinks and ample information about the local area.
The room was quite comfortable and the air conditioner worked well. There was a mini fridge that even had water in it.
The location is also great with many restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
altoonaexpress, Front Office Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
thumper114,

Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your complimentary items! We provide this to our guests to thank them for being loyal guests and also reward guests! Thanks again for this wonderful review and we hope to see you soon!
Lafayette, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

This is not your typical Holiday Inn Express. The hotel is Obviously from the 80s, and comes equipped with bright pink room doors and blown-on textured ceilings. The staff was friendly however and the hotel was for the most part clean. Our bathroom had seen better days and like the whole hotel was in need of a remodel. Not a bad one night stay however.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Justin S
Justin S,

Thank you for your feedback! We do agree our hotel is in need of a re-model and we do have plans for this in the near future. We have have been working diligently to get plans approved for our remodel and look to update the entire hotel! Some of the ideas in place will really enhance the style of this hotel and the surrounding area! We do look forward for this to happen and we also look forward to your next visit here at the Holiday Inn Express Altoona, PA!
Livonia, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

I stayed at this establishment the same nights as the gentleman's review below. I can attest to every word he said about the customer service this past weekend, it was quite unpleasant.

I arrived at 5pm on Friday, and was tired as I was out on the road since 3 am. When I arrived, the hotel exterior looked very outdated, and not modern like MANY other Holiday Inn Express locations. When I walked in, the lobby looked a bit more modernized with a nice waterfall accent and a few couches. The first thing that immediately grabbed my attention was, I wasn't greeted with a smile, or even a "Welcome..." and the standard greeting I have normally received at other brand name hotel chains when I arrived at the front desk. There were 2 older female desk clerks (about age 40 and above). Both seemed quite occupied with things other than the customer (me). When they checked my reservation, the clerk never made eye contact, or even smiled or acted like they were really glad I was staying at this location during the entire transaction, and at the end since I was a Hotel Club member I was told I could pick a choice of snack out of a small bowl of chocolate bars and what appeared to be index cards showing different cans of soda pop. It really looked like some old bowl someone used for Halloween and they threw together what they had. Not really what I would call a warm welcome by ANY means.

I checked into my room, #103 which was a handicap accessible room (I did not need such facilities but I made due). I was in my room for about 30 minutes, and during the first minutes in your hotel room, normally you receive a call from the front desk asking if everything in your room was satisfactory, I never received a call. The shower area of the restroom looked like it had stepped out of the 1970's with brown colored tiles, and a very old shower temperature knob. The rest of the room was modern, as is standard with other Holiday Inn Express locations. It was raining and I did not want to sit in the hotel, so I went and had dinner, walked around the local mall (bout 3-4 miles west of this location), and relaxed.

When I got up on the morning of the 6th, I proceeded to the breakfast area. To me, it was like they took the area where the pool was, kept it enclosed and put all of the breakfast and food items in there. The bacon, was crappy (a lot of other words could go there but I am keeping this PG). The omelets not flavorful, and runny, the sausage and biscuits were the only good items on the menu that morning. Also, as I walked by the front desk again not even a "Hi." or any greeting. It was like I was disturbing them from watching whatever was on the TV across from the front desk. After that I packed up and headed out to explore Altoona and the surrounding area and arrived back at the hotel later that evening without any issues.

The morning of the 7th, I went and had some breakfast (extremely watery powdered eggs and some sausage and biscuits), I noticed a manager working on their pancake machine (which was out of order). Once again, not even so much as a "Good Morning" or "Hi" from this gentleman. I quickly ate and checked out. Once again upon check out, not even so much as a smile.

I have to say, out of all the experiences at various hotels I have stayed at, this is the only one where I would think twice about staying, and NOT because of the property, but because of the lack of a friendly atmosphere that was perpetuated by the hotel front desk staff. Never, have I felt so compelled. They really need to update their front desk staff, maybe hire on some younger personnel who know the meaning of keeping the customer happy.

I will say this. If you like trains and/or are traveling to Altoona to railfan or check out the local railroad history, this location is centrally located. It's about a 10 mile drive to Horseshoe Curve, and about the same to the Altoona Railroader's Museum and the Norfolk Southern Railroad Altoona Shops.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank James B
Dear CSXT1534,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. It is disappointing that you did not enjoy your overall visit due to the level of service received and breakfast situation being sub standard. These points you've raised in your review have been noted and will be forwarded to management to consider for improvements needed. We take the confidence our guests place in us to rectify unsatisfactory circumstances.

We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again and make your stay as best as it can be.

Pam G