“Great Stay”

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Great Stay”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I have been staying at the hotel for about 6 years for business. My stays are for 1 to 4 nights depending on the occasion. The staff at the front desk are just wonderful friendly people. The morning breakfast is always fresh and they have quite a variety of items. The rooms are clean and if I require anything special the staff always are very helpful in assisting me.

Room Tip: I always request ground floor. Quit and easy access.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Roger D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I've been staying at the Holiday Inn for about two months now due to some traveling I've had to do for work. I've never had a better experience in a hotel. The staff is wonderful-- very accommodating and polite, reserving rooms for me at the last minute and adjusting my stay several times when I was uncertain of when I had a day off to drive back home. The facility itself is very clean and welcoming as well. They take excellent care of you when you stay here! I have nothing but positive things to say.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
usa
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Driving across the state, we were caught in a snowstorm with our little dog. I frantically used my smart phone to find a hotel in Altoona that accepted dogs and was happy to find this one (husband was driving). I would advise trying to get the hotel directly on the phone because the number I called was a call center with an unknowing, unhelpful person. The staff at the desk was quite good and nice and we were so lucky to be able to check in around 2pm when we really needed to get off the roads.

Hotel was nice, the doggie rooms seem to be on the first floor. I was pleased to see the room was big, well appointed, and the bathroom and bedding were very nice and very clean. We didn't have a crate so could not leave our dog alone in the room which was fine....I wouldn't want to make her anxious anyway. There are many restaurants really close to the hotel and hubby picked up take-out food for us for dinner. We picked Olive Garden, although we were tempted by Five Guys.

My two small complaints are these: One, the non-refundable 75 dollar "deposit" for our 22 pound dog is pretty steep. They call it a deep cleaning fee and yes the room seemed very clean. However, judging from the way my dog kept furiously sniffing (and trying to lick, ew) two particular areas of the floor, I really don't think they shampooed the carpet (which would have helped to justify the deep cleaning fee). The other complaint is that the water pressure for the shower was awful in our room and I didn't expect the very soft water...couldn't rinse shampoo out of my hair. Better water pressure may have helped with that a bit.

I would still highly recommend this hotel. We were treated well and the room was very nice and very clean where it counts (bedding and bath). I think non pet people get rooms that were not used for pets so no worries for them.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Venetia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I plus our Golden Retriever were on our way to see our son in Wilkes Barre. We had to stop because of a snow storm. They were EXTREMELY accommodating to us. They even made an exception for our dog being over 40 pounds. The staff was very helpful to the point of guiding me there over the phone. Also to our surprise was the free hot breakfast! So a special thank you to the staff for their consideration. A pleasant unscheduled stop.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We have stayed here annually for about 12 years. We have never had a problem. The staff is professional and kind. The rooms are up to date and clean. The continental breakfast is good and has hot food. Sufficient parking. Comfortable bed and quiet rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 January 2014

It is of course very sterile in an American sort of way. But it is elegant, and quiet, and the staff could not be kinder. The garden by the creek is probably very beautiful except that it was snowing every day that we were there. They had a grill around the corner for any guests' use. Which means you could buy your own chops and eat very well quite cheaply. But again for us it was snowing. Only a stumble away is the brilliant Baker Mansion, perhaps the most exquisite Greek revival building in America. There is no reason why any sane person would go to Altoona. However should you be, this you should not miss.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Portage, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 11 January 2014

BEWARE - I made a reservation at this hotel online using my credit card and received a confirmation number. When I checked in, the front desk clerk saw the address on my driver's license and then asked her coworker about it. The clerk then tells me that the hotel doesn't rent to "locals". I was FURIOUS. I was 40 minutes from home in a snow storm and didn't want to miss work the next day, so I decided to stay in the city. After protest, the manager allowed me to stay. I can't believe that this hotel would accept a reservation, then flaunt this "unwritten" rule. I can't imagine why this hotel would be willing to turn away locals, especially families who may have lost their home to a fire, or a family fleeing a domestic violence situation.

My advice - make a reservation online. If they fail to honor it, they have violated the Pennsylvania Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection law. If this hotel management would like, I will send them the exact citation and how EXACTLY their "no locals" policy is AGAINST THE LAW.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Andrew G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Andrew G,