“Great place to stay, all good.”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Chincoteague Island, Virginia
“Great place to stay, all good.”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Stayed 2 nights, 2 different check in staff, friendly, helpful, cheerful. Good coffee, macadamia cookies, streusel muffins, cereal etc., no eggs, meat etc.
Quiet, good smelling room, no traffic or rail sounds here for us. There's heat and great shower, a mini fridge w/freezer space and a microwave for an exceptional price 1/2 the money places 15 miles away were charging. We'd rate it a 5 except it has no TV guide scroll to see whats on for the nexr hour or so. We had an older TV with 36 channels. We needed to click thru all the channels each half hour to see whats on so it took 10 min. by the time you waited for all to commercials to end. Get a TV program guide channel please Econo Lodge.

Room Tip: Get the rooms farthest from the street for ultimate quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bill W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 December 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE FOR ANY REASON!!!! A friend of mine and I were looking for an inexpensive place to stay to go to the Penn State game in State College for the weekend. The price would be the only thing positive to say. I must also add I don't typically take the time to write any type of review but feel it would be shameful if I didn't share the experience and hopefully discourage even one person from staying here. Filthy is an understatement!!! We read reviews from others on our way up and we're laughing because some were so detailed, boy did we make a mistake not heeding their words. The carpet the entire time was damp, stunk, and had more stains on it than you could possibly count. Not too mention I don't think running a carpet sweeper was ever something they considered doing. There were chip snacks left on the floor from previous people. There was black mold in the bathroom, the shower area had hairs in it from previous people, and I don't mean hairs from the top of your head and there were a lot of them. The chairs in the room were just fantastic, if you like dirty stained, and yes one "sticky". Apparently the chairs also served as napkins but never got cleaned. The only extra we were supposed to have was an alarm clock, but I guess that was asking too much. The beds, wow talk about comfort, that is if you enjoy sleeping on card board filled with cement. The blankets appeared to have been from the civil war era and that was probably the last time they were cleaned. I mean I wish I was making something up but the blankets were absolutely disgusting. The pillows seemed to be missing their stuffing, was like using bed sheets laying flat, thankfully that rock hard mattress was there under it. The TV, come on, really, really, really!!! Most channels you could view if you squinted real had, and the remote, well thankfully we had other clothes with us to touch it with cause it was foul! Back to the cleanliness for a moment when we got there we had 3 towels, one I again wish I made this up, had brown streaks on it and I'm guessing was from the last person. Well we stayed two glorious nights and of course when we got back to spend the next splendid evening there we discovered that same towel folded up and ready to use. We did have it on he floor with the others but apparently that towel isn't allowed to leave the room. The person I stayed with left a small bag on the his bed and when we got back there was a note stuck on the bed that said you left items on the bed so it didn't get made. Understandably this wasn't a high end hotel, we knew that, but honestly this place was disgusting. Oh a side note it smelled like feet and pets, that made the weekend that much better. Thankfully we were there for a game, and tried to stay out of the sty as much as possible, but please whatever you do please do not for any reason stay here. If you have the expectations of sleeping in a dumpster environment then I guess this is your place. If you have any standards at all you need to look else where. I find it hard to believe any gives this place any type of neutral let alone positive rating, I think a homeless person would even skip past this pathetic spot for a free stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at any other hotel is your only option, don't stay here under any circumstance!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jcbanks

Travellers are raving about these Altoona hotels

Lexington, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed here Sept. 19, 2013. Was traveling to PA, got tired and decided to get a hotel at 11 p.m. The bathtub was covered in black sludge, but we were too exhausted to change rooms. Was told the next a.m. that the hotel couldn't give any discount or refund because we booked through bringfido.com. A bringfido rep worked for 2 months to get a refund from the hotel. Clerk lied to bringfido, saying we checked in at 4 p.m. and that the tub wasn't that bad. We also were harassed by the guests next to us at 5 a.m. Trucks started very early and ran their engines. Families should avoid this dump.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephenie H
Altoona, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Head of housekeeping has a poor attitude, with a "pass the buck/blame" mentality. Even when she's at fault, she's not. She also seems to resent doing her job, such as fixing key cards that stop working.
There were ants in the bathroom when we arrived. Several of the chairs were broken, which she claimed was all new furniture. Her definition of new much differ from most people's..
We all developed rashes from the sheets and/or water. And I think I saw termites coming from one of the wall sockets.

Room Tip: Motel 6 was better. So, that may be a big clue really..
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank KyndraReines
Wyoming, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a few times over the last two years. I find it to be safe and clean. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms open directly to outside which is convenient when you are traveling with pets. I had to change the date on my original reservation and confirmed that the changes had been made correctly with the local hotel by the national reservation center. I will stay there again in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2013

What a dump. The room was dirty. Weird people hanging around. A lot of bikers and truckers leaving at 5:00 AM. Very loud. The room smelled. No ice machine. If you wanted ice you had to go to the front desk and ask for it. The front desk is in a totally different building abot 200 feet away. Staff was rude, Will never stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wendy1974
Kenmore, New York
Reviewed 1 July 2013

...then this is the place for you. The pictures on the site are misleading at best. It may be a blessing that smell-o-vision hasn't be invented yet because that alone would discourage you from booking a room here. Really enjoyed finding a cupcake stuck to the carpeting next to the sofabed. And by "stuck" I mean plastered. The sofa bed mattress looked so bad I could only assume someone had been murdered on it. We had to venture back down to the office to get pillows which were dirty and flat. Discovered a short time later that the sofa bed had no sheets so we tried calling to the front office and got no answer. Had to venture back there to get sheets (and deliver the cupcake) and was basically treated like I was insane for expecting there to be sheets available without asking and no unwanted snacks. The blanket on the worn out king-sized bed was riddled with holes. We found almonds on the floor at the base of the bed and bug remnants on the box spring. The shower would not drain so it was like taking a shower and a bath all at the same time. We probably shouldn't have expected much for $59 a night, but this was seriously beyond unacceptable. We were there about 12 hours which was about 11 hours and 58 minutes too long.
I should note that when we checked out, the manager on duty gave us a $10 refund on the room charge. Thanks.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, book one at another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family