“What A Nice Surprise”

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Altoona
Guelph, Canada
“What A Nice Surprise”
Reviewed 29 October 2011

This is the first Motel 6 I've ever stayed at. Quite frankly they usually scare me, but the reviews led us to give this one a try, and are we ever glad we did.

Hotel is clean, rooms are big and cheap. We got 2 rooms with 2 queen size beds for under $120 on a friday night, you can't beat that. Also It's right off the interstate, and there are lots of restaurants close by.

The pool was closed when we were there, but it was October. The book in the room said it was only open till the beginning of September.

The only negative was the lack of free WiFi. If you want it the charge is 3 dollars a night, not a lot, but enough to make you think if you really want it. We pulled in late and left early so no real reason to purchase it. Plus there was a few restaurants in the area that offered it free.

I almost forgot. They have the friendliest, most courtious front desk staff I have ever encountered. They where great.

Overall I was very impressed, and will now look at other Motel 6's as well. I've always been a Super 8 man, but if other 6's are like this, I'll stay there in a flash.

Room Tip: Ponderosa Steak House down the street offers a cheap breakfest buffet.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank numptylover

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Honestly, I can't complain at all about this motel. I was prepared for a dump because of the price but was very pleasantly surprised! It wasn't elaborate like the expensive motels, of course, but it was roomy, clean, and comfortable. Plus the location was right near shopping and restaurants. And the staff was very pleasant as well. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I've been staying at this motel for several years when I'm in this area. I have never had any major complaints. It’s clean.... (Although may last visit had a french fry under the desk, and a closed beer in the dresser draw, that was the first time I've seen anything like that at this motel). Originally I was planning on giving this motel "two stars", until I saw 2=Poor, I can't say its poor, but, for the price, the competition, and the fact the rooms haven't been updated in many, many years, it an honorary 2 Stars in my opinion. The price is usually higher then other (and newer) Motel 6's. The motels in the Altoona area can be pricey due to area events, but I still don't think $50+ for the rooms are worth the price. Some other chain motels are similar in price and include breakfast. Overall, I will stay here again, the friendly staff is reliable, and it’s clean enough to have a good nights sleep!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Me and my family stayed at this motel for 4 nights,every morning we got up the pool was closed for some unknown reason,and the reason we stayed was for the pool for our kids,each day I had to go to the office to have my key card activated,I was over charged when I checked in and it took to of the office staff to figure it out,my room was never cleaned the whole stay,my children had to chase the maid for towels,my SIS in law had blood on her pillow and pillow case my SIS had poop on her hand towel at check in the rooms were dirty,the shower curtain didn't fit the tub and flooded the floor,the tv channels suck only like 10 channels couldn't get the WiFi to work after paying for it and I got suck at 10:30 pm my brother tried the front desk for about 40 mins to get directions to the hospital and got no answer,I believe its all in the management I stayed at motel 6 in hagerstown,md last weekend and it was great,I do not recommend staying at motel 6 in altoona

• Stayed July 2011

Travellers are raving about these Altoona hotels

Paris, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My wife and I stayed at this Motel 6 in Altoona. As the name suggests, this is a MOTEL. It was fairly clean as far as motels go. Rate was fairly decent, we paid around $65 for a king room. Given the choice, we would probably not stay here again only because we like other hotels better, although not sure about this particular area. But typically an extra $20 gets you something like a Comfort Inn with a discount and they include a hot breakfast and a pool.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Southern Ontario
Reviewed 23 May 2011

My family travelled over the Canadian May long weekend and arrived about midnight in Altoona, and decided to stay for the night, our first choice Super 8 would not rent us a room because there were five in the group. So we made our way to Motel 6. This turned out to be an excellant move. The rate was approx $30.00 cheaper. My experiances with Motel 6 have always been the same. A clean comfortable bed, friendly staff (the girl on duty that night was very helpful) and basic no frills accomodation. For one night stays while travelling I highly recommend this chain. It is always a great combination of price and comfort. The parking lots are always well lit and the room is basic no frills accomodation for a great price, as a budget minded traveller this is what I am looking for.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank TheRedman
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Fast check-in with a very friendly clerk who went out of his way to be helpful. Room was comfortably sized, with the usual smallish motel bathroom. Amenities were all there, and the entire thing was scrupulously clean. Only drawback was that when I visited their internet was down, so there were no wi-fi rooms available.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo