“Great Neighborhood Bar & Restaurant”

McCloskey's Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 94 Restaurants in Ardmore
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
“Great Neighborhood Bar & Restaurant”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just moved to Lower Merion so decided to stop-in for a few drinks. Kim was awesome and made a great drink and spent alot of time talking to us to give us a warm welcome to the area and this neighborhood bar. After talking to a few people, it looks like I found the best neighborhood bar in the area and will be back again to try to food, but after the first experience I am sure I won't be dissapointed.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Steven S

New York City, New York
“Good, Not Great”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

McCloskey's is a popular neighborhood restaurant and bar. Most of the people who frequent this establishment are regulars and a lot of people are known by their first names. It reminds me a little bit of the TV show Cheers.
It's clean. The staff is friendly and has an okay look to it. It's not fancy, pretty basic northeastern bar restaurant set up.
On my recent visit at 5:00pm I was disappointed that most of the daily specials were not ready. If you open for dinner at 5:00pm then you should be ready to serve your full menu. Also I did not like the fact that in order to go in the front door I had to walk through the kitchen staff on the sidewalk having a smoke break.
The restaurant is in the front and the bar is towards the back there is no separation between the two areas. The bar was really noisy and loud. There was one guy who was VERY loud and yelling curse words while telling his stories. There were a lot of kids in the restaurant and this guy and his dirty mouth is all you could hear, it carried through the restaurant.
I had the mushroom soup and it was out of this world. I would come back here just for this soup. It was really, really good and will be the piece of the meal that I will remember most.
I had the meat loaf for my entree and it okay, not great, not terrible, just okay. It was a little too wet for my taste and didn't hold together very well. The taste was good. It came with mashed potatoes that were also a bit too wet for my taste and didn't hold up. The cole slaw was very bland and totally forgettable. As a matter of fact I had one bite of cole slaw and I left the rest.
Over all the meal was pretty average with the exception of the outstanding mushroom soup. I would come back again for the soup and a beer. It's clean and the staff is friendly.

• Visited August 2014
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
“always delicious their mushroom soup is great & their fried oysters as well”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

always love to go here their food is special their meat loaf, turkey platter, mushroom soup is fab. Always pleasant service owner is always there to assist.

• Visited June 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good casual meal”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We walked in early on a Saturday night and were seated right away. Food was very good, service was fine and it was a very pleasant evening. Very good filet mignon and soft shell crabs (in season).

• Visited June 2014
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
“Good food and nice ambiance”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We went here for a coworker's birthday; the food was good, served quickly despite it being lunchtime, and reasonably priced. The only downside was my Caesar salad which was so drenched in dressing, the Romaine leaves needed wiping off. I do understand that Caesar comes dressed, and have eaten my share of it over the years, but this was a bit much.

Our server was lovely and attentive, and everyone else enjoyed their meals very much.

• Visited March 2014