“Waiter included 20% Tip in Check!!”

Thai Pepper Restaurant
Ranked #39 of 92 Restaurants in Ardmore
Price range: US$0 - US$35
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Sushi
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Philadelphia
“Waiter included 20% Tip in Check!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

On November 2, my four friends and I (5) went to Thai Pepper to celebrate a birthday. I had never had Thai food so I was excited to give it a try. We arrived and found out that the restaurant was a combination of two restaurants Japanese and Thai. We had no problem with that except that the menu was not divided between Thai and Japanese food ; the two cuisines were combined and it was difficult to find Thai dishes. The offerings were mostly Japanese. Our waiter was not very knowledgable about the dishes, he did not know what the sauces on the dishes were made of , he took our orders, the appetizers came out fine, but he got one of the entres wrong. He never came back to offer additional drinks or refills. The food was disappointing. I ordered sweet and sour chicken, it was more sweet, like a very sweet syrup was poured over the chicken. We all ordered different entrees and they all were disappointing.
When we asked about desserts, we were not giiving menus, and our waiter rushed through the dessert selections. When we questioned him on a couple of items, he wasn't able to tell us what the dessert was. For example "a sphere of something that is like whip cream but doesn't taste like whip cream and is not whip cream "( he didn't know what it was)with vanilla ice cream in the center.
The real shock was when the check came and a 20% tip was added. We usual tip 20% or more for excellent service. He would have gotten 15%. We paid the 20% He got a lot of change. I will be making a call to the manager tomorrow and needless to say we will not be going back to Thai Pepper or its Japanese counterpart..

• Visited November 2011

Philadelphia
“Good Place to Enjoy Thai/Japanese Foood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2008

We have been going to Thai Pepper for years and never had a bad meal here. Tum Yum Soup, Pad Thai, Curry Chicken, etc. I love them all. You can also order good sushi and other Japanese items from Mikado (the two restaurants are adjoining and you can order off either menu). Service is good, and the prices are moderate. I highly recommend it!

Haverford, PA
“Definitely do NOT recommend...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2006

I'm a strict vegetarian, and have been here twice--they somehow managed to botch my order on both occasions! I found meat in my "vegetarian" dish, and ordered a soup that the waitress swore would come without meat--yet there was definitely chicken in it. And when I told her, she had the audacity to try to argue with me and put the blame on me. I don't think I'll be going back.
I do, however, recommend the Thai Pepper in Wayne, PA, just down the street. They're owned by the same people, but the wait staff, of course, is different--I've never had a problem there, and I've been there at least 7-8 times.

2 Thank phillychica22

Been to Thai Pepper Restaurant? Share your experiences!