“Inside seems like a diner, outside smells of old cigarettes/smokers”

John Henry's Pub of Ardmore
Ranked #4 of 8 things to do in Ardmore
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Inside seems like a diner, outside smells of old cigarettes/smokers”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I wanted to like their nicely fixed up back "deck". A little too closed in with cement walls. The smell of old cigarettes and smokers was a turn off. Staff was attentive and pleasant. Food has been pretty good (2x), but if I recall correctly, slightly higher than I was expecting for the experience.

Visited April 2014

Philadelphia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We ate here for dinner with the kids and extended family for the first time in years about a month ago and had a great time. The food, service, atmosphere was great and our waitress was super welcoming and told us all about the kid friendly St. patrick's Day weekend on March 7,8 & 9. (our nighttime service was a solid 3.5 stars)
We also saw they did a brunch on Sunday's which sounded good - so we decided to do brunch on March 9 with the kids.
WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT. I'm really upset because for our family of 4 to spend $75 on brunch (before the 20% tip my hubby gave??!) - for what we got was really upsetting. We walked in and they looked at us like we didn't belong there. We took a seat and the server didn't talk to us. It was really weird. It shows a bloody mary bar on their menu - so I asked for it and he made me a bloody mary- even though the menu says they give you a shot of vodka and you make it. That's fine - but when I asked him about it - he said nothing. How random is that? He didn't answer the question. Just silence. I just felt so unwelcome there for brunch. Like the waiter was so upset that we were ruining his morning. Totally opposite feeling of the dinner we had a month ago.
I used to be a regular at Annie's - and was excited after our recent visit to John Henry's to be back there. But for what we paid - and the feeling of being unwelcome...it just kind of sucked. Also - it wasn't a kid friendly weekend brunch at all? I'm not sure why we were told it was St. Patrick's Day weekend for the kids. It was just really sad and now I'm mad. They should hire someone who talks to people - it's standard practice. I can't believe how we were treated for that much money. My husband and I work all the time to make money to pay bills and rarely take the family out for a treat like this - I'm just upset. Can you tell?!

Visited March 2014