“Wasn't impressed”

Marisqueira Mediterranean Bistro
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
pittsburgh
“Wasn't impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

This was actually our 2nd visit and neither my husband nor I can remember what we thought of our first visit.
We went this time w a groupon for our anniversary. The groupon said reservation required....but we were the only ones there dining at 6pm on a Friday (2 other couples came in within an hour). The wait staff is very friendly and knowledgable.
We got the stuffed pepper for an appetizer which wasn't good at all. The plate was very hot but the inside of the pepper wasn't quite warm. The cheese wasn't even melted. The sauce on it was good.
Our salads were below average. Just tasteless...and basic.
I got the mahi mahi which was fine...not great but fine. My husband liked the swordfish.
I don't think we'll go back. Overpriced....and I think the groupon evaluation wasn't correct (it was a fixed menu item choice...not just a straight value groupon).

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Potential But not quite On”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stopped for lunch on a Saturday. The lunch started out great with a Portuguese Fish Soup. It was really outstanding, quite flavorful and seasoned to perfection. For our main course we ordered the Espetada Mista (mixed seafood on a skewer) . It came with mixed vegies and rice and looked great on the plate. Sadly, it was tasteless. If I didn't know better, I would say the kitchen forgot something. We had the desert (almond cake) which was excellent and were served a complimentary after dinner aperitif'. I think the place has great potential and we will certainly give it another try, but our lunch main course really was not good. I'm having a hard time rating this one.

• Visited March 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“mid week dinner party”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Wonderful evening at at the Marisqueira Bistro for a misweek dinner. There were five us to share stories of journeys, adventures and connections. The bistro environment was a great spot. the staff provided excellent recommendations, very international flavors. The appetizers were excellent, the stuffed peppers were my favorite. We enjoyed a seafood paella for the entree that was very good. For dessert, the "spanish" coffee was delicious, particularly as I was not driving! The service was great, and the staff really worked hard to ensure we had an excellent and enjoyable evening.

• Visited February 2014
“Great traditional Portuguese seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

My wife and I have eaten at Marisqueira several times and always enjoyed the food. We have a couple of dishes we really enjoy and would recommend to our friends and family. The peppers stuffed with fresh mozzarella cheese (pimentos recheados) is great a appetizer to start your meal and we love the Arroz de marisco which is an assorted seafood with rice in a bouillabasse sauce. If it is your first time there I highly recommend these two.

• Visited November 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor meal”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

My husband and I chose this restaurant because we wanted to try something new. Found a Groupon and decided to give it a try. We were very disappointed and will not return. First, despite a half empty restaurant, we were seated very near another couple which made conversation awkward. I ordered mahi mahi and noticed that our nearby dining neighbor had also ordered the same meal. She did not have a Groupon and was served two pieces of mahi while I had only one piece with a lot of dark areas. My husband had filet which was fatty. Service was attentive but food was subpar. In addition, it appeared that non Groupon diners received a complimentary after dinner drink--we did not. We will not return.

• Visited November 2013