“This was a terrible experience”
Review of Hotel Aiken

Hotel Aiken
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Aiken
York County
“This was a terrible experience”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

How do I count the ways? Oh yeah, I was put in a motel type building across the parking lot from the main hotel.
The stairwell was filthy and there was what appeared to be a used surgical glove on the floor at the top of the landing. The TV was an old tube type, but functional. The blanket on the bed had a large hole in it. Anthony Melchiorri would have had a heart attack. The room was just across the parking lot from the Tiki bar, that goes on till two o'clock. That's the last time I looked at my watch, because the clock in the room didn't work. The hotel says it's pet friendly and it is. So friendly that a barking dog was also a problem till two o'clock. Seeing I had to get up at 6:15 a.m., this was not a pleasant experience.
When asked if everything was ok by the desk clerk as I checked out, I told him No, but he didn't act as if that mattered to him.

Room Tip: Rooms at another hotel would be more enjoyable.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank waynetad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I am appalled and embarrassed that I recommended the Hotel Aiken to friends of ours from out of town, and I will NEVER do so again. The Willcox, while lovely, was a little rich for their blood. When I told them about the Hotel Aiken - historic property, convenient downtown location, and half the price of the Willcox - they were sold.

When we stayed 1.5 years ago and recommended it for our wedding guests, our experience was ok. Not great, but ok. We had personally been in to the hotel 6 weeks before our wedding and the manager gave us a tour of the rooms so that we could pick the perfect one for our wedding night. We put down a cash deposit to ensure they would hold our room. Well, our room was given to someone else and the hotel staff, while apologetic, really did nothing to make up for the mix-up. Fine. I was disappointed, and it was a pain to find a refrigerator for some of the things we'd brought with us (champagne, midnight snacks) since the room they gave us didn't have one - the one we'd reserved DID have one. But, fine. The room was clean even if the furnishings were showing their age, and the bed was comfortable. I was disappointed on my wedding night, but I continued to recommend the Hotel Aiken to friends.

NEVER AGAIN! Our friends showed us photos our their room - not at all clean, and roaches on the wall! I had warned them about the noise from the bar and although they requested to be far away from the bar, they were placed on the 2nd floor just above it. When they complained they were offered another room far away from the bar - which they should have gotten in the first place - and not offered a refund for their second night even though they only stayed one night. Truly, the photos were disgusting and if that is the state of this hotel now, there is no way I will send anyone there again. From what I understand when they asked to talk to the manager, she yelled at them and said, "you'll never come back here again so why should I care what you think?" Um, maybe because you are the service provider?

It is truly a shame that such a historic property has fallen to this. It could be such a quaint hotel and with their location, they could easily get twice as much for their rooms if they'd just put some money and care into it. Never, ever, ever again will I recommend it, and I will tell anyone who is thinking about staying there to steer clear. The Hilton Garden Inn doesn't have the location, but is a far better hotel for the money.

Room Tip: Unless you want to be awake beyond 2am, think twice about staying here at all on weekends. The bar...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank craftyguise

Travellers are raving about these Aiken hotels

Townville, SC
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Great location for the Beachfest in June. Prices were good. Rooms were very clean. Staff was polite. All in all a pretty good place to stay. The main hotel was very old but historical. I would definitely stay again and probably will next June.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bars
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My first trip to Aiken this past weekend was for a wedding. The wedding party was offered two choices for lodging; Hotel Aiken and The Wilcox. The latter was a bit out of my price range. Hotel Aiken's price and location were right but the buildings are in need of some updates/renovations. The 3 restaurants/bars on premises were convenient in providing meeting places for our party and close-by night cap venues. Hotel Aiken's top asset is the front desk staff, especially Carl, who are very friendly and helpful, making the stay much more enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vertindigo
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for the weekend while visiting family members.

The staff is wonderful, the young lady at the front desk-Brittany was very helpful and went out of her way to accommodate my daughter and I and point us in the direction of child friendly eating establishments in the area. Anything I had an issue with she worked with me to solve.

The room was good, clean and a decent size. It is a good value for the money.

All in all I was very pleased with my stay and will be coming back to stay in the future!

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank kitsunefire
Hampton
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Once again, my frineds and I visited the beautiful town of Aiken and stayed at the Hotel Aiken.
The staff is the best. This one of a kind hotel was built over 100 years ago and still has the oldest elevator in SC, and the only one in the building. The staff has to operate it for you so if you have trouble with stairs, be sure to let them know when you are making a reservation so you can get a ground floor room in the annex part of the hotel.

It is so much fun to check in and know it will not be a chain motel experience. The young man at the front desk not only carried my luggage for me, he checked us in our rooms, took us up on the elevator and went and got the ice.

It was getting late and being tired from the busy week we wanted to eat in. Much to my surprise, the bar area served food so downstairs we went. The bar is a large area with more than one room and an outside bar. We sat between the bar and the room with a live band so we could people watch and eat at the same time. The food was better than ever expected in a bar setting. If you like nacho's, they were the best ever and the serving was huge! We ordered some wings and they were awesome too. It was nice to know the food choices were not just the run of the mill mocrowaved bar food. The prices were very reasonable too and there were all kinds of food choices
The room was on a corner on the front so we had a nice view of the downtown area and it was not too loud with the band being on the other end of the building. The room was not very large but it did have a king bed in it and I doubt the hotel was build for king size beds over 100 years ago. The bathroom was very modern and the room was nice and clean with new looking furnishings. My favorite part were the windows, they actually opened and the weather was perfect for sleeping with them open.

As I said in my review from last year, if you are looking for new and modern motel, stay at a chain motel along the highway, this is not the place for you. If you want to enjoy a southern experience in a one of a kind charming old hotel, this is the place. The rooms I have stayed in on my two visits have been clean, comfortable and the staff very accommodating and my friends agree with my reviews for their rooms too.

There is music and dancing on the weekends in the rather large bar area downstairs so if you want peace and quiet and an early night, be sure to ask for a room away from the bar area.

There are good restaurants in walking distance of the hotel and we felt safe walking down the main street in the evening to enjoy a couple of them.

There is a real cool deli place about a block away on the main street that had a unique menu of locally grown foods and other choices and home baked breads and goodies. Sorry I can't remember the name of it and you can eat inside or street side. It is very casual and was a good breakfast spot too.

Overall, my experience at the Hotel Aiken has turned me into a fan and I hope to return at least once a year for that special visit to enjoy the Battle of Aiken and the great sutler shopping.

I wish I could remember the young mans name from the front desk, Mark I think. He keep my ice bucket full all weekend and had answers for all of my questions before we would go site seeing and enjoying the Battle of Aiken reenactment.

The Hotel Aiken is a place I would feel very safe to stay alone in and we have enjoyed staying there as a group of friends. The lobby is large and has plenty of seating for visiting and making new friends.

The customer service is awesome and we all know how hard it is to find these days.

If you ever have a chance to visit Aiken you should check out the Hotel Aiken.

Room Tip: Make sure you let them know if you have trouble with stairs and if you want a quiet room and most of...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank deerrivers
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Fancy website, and if you look at it on Google Street view it looks pretty good, but I think "faded glory" sums it up.

We are in "the courtyard" which is just a strip of standard American motel rooms in the parking lot.

There's nothing *wrong* with it; it's just not what it cracks itself up to be.

Once you know what to expect, it's all right.

Oh, and ... the complimentary drink in the bar? Stick to a beer that you know!

Room Tip: Ermmmm ... who can say if one is better than another?
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business