“Splendid Hotel Aiken”

Hotel Aiken
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Aiken
“Splendid Hotel Aiken”
Reviewed 18 April 2006

Have just spent a week in Hotel Aiken, SC on vacation - playing Golf and visiting the Masters in Augusta (only 20 miles away). Everything about Hotel Aiken was excellent, from the hospitality received from the staff and the Owner (Kishan), the quality and cleanliness of the rooms, the standard & variety of food at B'fast and Dinner, the lively athmosphere in the various bars etc.
This venue is ideal for visitors to Aiken & surrounds to enjoy Golf, Fishing etc but most importantly if you are visiting the Masters Tournament.
Also need to mention that Downtown Aiken has a number of quality Restaurants - all within easy access & walking distance of Hotel Aiken. The local golf club - Aiken GC will also go out of their way to accommodate you on the 1st Tee & guarantees a fair test of your golfing skills.

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Reviewed 9 March 2006

On a recent driving tour through the Carolinas we were pleasantly suprised to discover the wonderful town of Aiken. We stayed at the centrally based and wonderful Hotel Aiken.

It has come as a shock to see some bad reviews of such a splendid hotel. Any review other than positive is in my judgement misguided. I say this as a seasoned traveller who lives in Europe and who has travelled America and the world extensively.

Hotel Aiken is full of authentic charm and is very much a welcome change to the almost factory like chain hotels that exist. Our room was very clean and comfortable and the increasingly important internet service was high speed, hard wired and in the room .... again another example of the welcomed change from many hotels that are available.

One of the highlights of Hotel Aiken was the bar which houses some very friendly locals who add to the authenticity. The locality of the hotel added to the sense of being central to the pulse of the town itself.

As for breakfast this was a treat and a great way to greet our day on our travels.

The upshot is: great place, efficient staff, great location and a definate return. As for any negative reviews placed perhaps judge this review and visit Hotel Aiken to see what it's really like.

Andrew Constanti

Lawyer
Businessman
London
England

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 December 2005

Hotel Aiken looks good on brochures and is in a desirable location, but the interior is: dirty, paint is peeling throughout, carpet is scuzzy, electrical wiring is exposed in false ceiling, and traffic noise is prevalent at all hours. Our stay was not an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Aiken hotels

Martinez, GA.
Reviewed 7 November 2005

We had a reservation to stay at the Hotel Aiken on our wedding night this upcoming weekend. I decided to go by there a week before, just to check it out. I walked in the front door, and immediately smelled nasty mildew. I walked to the 2nd floor (you have to wait on someone to come to work the elevator for you, it's so old) and there were actually HOLES IN THE CEILINGS. It smelled awful, and looked like the projects. I was so turned off, that I went downstairs and cancelled our reservations. Thank God that I went to check it out. I would never in my life spend the night at Hotel Aiken. It is disgusting.

• Stayed November 2005
3 Thank aprilk30
Reviewed 18 September 2005

I stayed in the historic building and the lobby smelled like sewage. The room was OK, with a recently renovated bathroom. The furniture needed replacement, all the painted woodwork needed repainting and / or cleaned - hopefully both. The wireless internet never worked at any time during my 2 night stay. The place has a lot of potential and renovations are underway but for now.... skip it.

• Stayed September 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 June 2005

Wow...I am a little surprised at the negative reviews for this place. Stayed recently for a wedding and thought it was great! We stayed in the historical building which I thought was very charming. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I think my favorite was the elevator man, George, who helped with our bags & took us to our rooms in their old timey manually operated elevator! There is also a very lively bar in the hotel, which is unlike any hotel bar I've ever been to. Although a lot of reviews seem to complain about it, I was actually glad to stay in a hotel with a bar that was our first choice instead of a "last resort" like most hotel bars. Perhaps not a place I would recommend for a family with kids to stay for the weekend but we definitely had a fun time. Great location with lots of restaurants and cute shops to visit within walking distance. If you are looking for more than just a bed, this is the place to go.

• Stayed May 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 June 2005

Recently, I traveld to Aiken for a family funeral. The Hotel Aiken was the recommended place for us all to stay. I was very dissappointed in the hotel. Although they claim to have remodeled several years ago, I failed to see the overall appearance as being anything attractive. The rooms are dreary and dark. The light over the toilet was hanging out of the ceiling. One of the beds was broken. The furniture was dated and terribly stained. The bathroom area although nicely tiled was dirty....and I wont even go into the looks of the tub bottom!! Bedspreads and curtains would have been better in a funeral palor.
The locks on the doors were still keyed and attached to a primative block of wood!! Breakfast was okay. I wouldn't recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2005