“Charming historic inn”

GreenLeadersGold level
Martinez, Georgia
“Charming historic inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I really enjoy the elegant atmosphere at the Willcox. It has a charming lobby with a baby grand, bar, two fireplaces, and lovely antiques. The food is good, too. The rooms are also very comfortable and attractive. The breakfast is a bit lacking if you have a good appetite or a gluten allergy. Parking can be a bit of a challenge in the evenings, because the bar is rather popular. We were disappointed in Thanksgiving Brunch--no pie just mini-tarts for dessert.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank cwsams
Willcox1898, General Manager at The Willcox, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Willcox. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback in reference to our Thanksgiving Buffet and will share with our Chef your comments. We take great pride in listening to our customer feedback and making changes when possible to meet our customer's requests. We are more than happy to accommodate all of our guests dietary needs. Please let us know your dietary needs upon your return visit and we will take care of them for you.

Tina McCarthy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
jacksonville, fl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I recently spent one night at the Willcox. It is charming from the outside and has a comfortable lobby for sitting and having a drink. The rooms are quaint and in need of refurbishing, especially the bathroom. We had dinner at the hotel, which was above average and very good service, but we were surprised that the hotel didn't serve breakfast. An above average hotel experience but it is really time for a facelift. The Willcox would really suffer if there were any choices for lodging in Aiken other than the chain hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank reallaw46
Willcox1898, General Manager at The Willcox, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Willcox and thank you for sharing your feedback from your stay. Your input and the input from all of our guests are vitally important to us. We appreciate the positive comments about the restaurant and the charm of our historic hotel. We are in the process of indeed updating several of our rooms, as we do on an annual basis (including the room that you were in). I truly hope that you will come back and enjoy these updates and contact me personally when you are ready to return. As far as not having a full breakfast, I apologize that you were disappointed. We have taken surveys from several of guest in regards to breakfast, and we choose to offer a complimentary continental breakfast with signature housemade items daily. We are pleased to include our continental breakfast in the price of the room on a daily basis. Again, I thank you for your stay and feedback and I truly hope that you will try us again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Visiting friends and ended up at the Willcox! Was a wonderful splurge! My husband had to cancel at the last minute so traveling alone could have been uncomfortable. The staff was exceptional! Sarah at reception answered every question and made me feel at home and comfortable. We enjoyed the restaurant the first night with local friends and I booked some spa time! I highly recommend both! My room was exceptional and every detail was thought of! Fudge by my bed the first night and always a decanter of water with lemons! The location is great for walking into town and if you prefer just sitting in a rocking chair, they have plenty on the front porch! The lobby itself is relaxing with numerous couches and chairs to relax and visit with friends new or old. Every morning a lovely breakfast was served for guests with everything from yogurt in mason jars to bagels and muffins! The staff goes above and beyond ! I highly recommend and YES I will go back even tho it is across the country from me!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Poor lady maui
Willcox1898, General Manager at The Willcox, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review of The Willcox. We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and experienced many aspects of the hotel. We take great pride in making people "feel at home" with personal service and our attention to detail. We are sorry that your husband was not able to join you but look forward to welcoming you both back.

Aiken, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We had our son's wedding rehearsal dinner at The Willcox Inn on May 30, 2014. Amanda Slayden, the catering director, and the rest of the staff did a superb job. Everyone was very professional, well organized, and very accommodating. The facility and the food were amazing. Amanda Slayden was amazing to work with. From day one of planning this event over nine months ago, she provided great assistance and suggestions that made everything very special. She made me feel comfortable and confident from day one that The Willcox would deliver a wonderful event. And they did. If you have a special occasion to celebrate, I highly recommend The Willcox Inn. My son insisted on not having assigned seating which created some confusion with our guests at dinner. That was my fault for not having a seating plan and letting my son have his way on that. My only suggestion to anyone having a special event anywhere with a plated meal is to have a seating plan. The Willcox staff handled it spectacularly though and got everyone seated and comfortable. Thanks to The Willcox Inn our event was wonderful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathryn H
Willcox1898, General Manager at The Willcox, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for choosing The Willcox for such a special occasion. We are delighted that you and your family were so pleased with our staff, food, and accommodations. We take great pride in our service, food, and historic hotel. We will definitely pass on your wonderful comments to our staff. Should you have another special event, want a nice dinner or just a weekend getaway, please contact us we would love to see you again.

Montevideo, Montevideo, Uruguay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is not only the most charming hotel in Aiken, but it is one of the most charming hotels in the world. It is an absolute step back into the genteel world of the 'old South'. You are made to feel welcome from your first step onto the perfect verandah. If in winter, then there will be a cozy fire to warm you, and if in summer you might just have a cool drink and sit a spell. Really, the charm just oozes. It is small, without an actual front desk and absolutely no sense of hustle and bustle. Aiken, itself is much the same. It is a polo town, so do not expect big city glamor. Instead, relax at a pace you probably have forgotten existed. The rooms are lovely, the service is excellent (and kindly provided) and the food will amaze you. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: President Roosevelt had his own room...allegedly his mistress lived down the street, so ask for his...
Green Features: I am not sure of their environmental habits, but certainly there was lots of farm fresh food.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jane S
Saint Joseph, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Great ambiance, study in understatement. My favorite cocktail was made to perfection. The definition of the genteel old South. We had a gracious hostess who put us up in a friend's rental home, but if ever I require lodging in Aiken it will be the historic Wilcox!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Greenwich, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We were very well treated at the Willcox, and although there was confusion with someone of the same name checking into our room, we were given a lovely suite (an upgrade) without their missing a beat.
The decor is comfortable, but perhaps a little confusing with the variety of different chairs which are around the lobby and halls-- it wasn't clear if they were in the midst of deciding which ones to keep and which ones to move away-- but I would vote for the latter choice.
The decor of our room also very comfortable, if dated.
We were somewhat disappointed with breakfast. The choices were somewhat limited and the toaster was broken so that only one person could toast at once. Things break, but perhaps such a reputable hotel would have an spare ready to go.
In general, the atmosphere and congeniality made up for any deficits, and I would choose the Willcox again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple