“FANTASTIC!!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Pompano Beach, Florida
“FANTASTIC!!!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My friends and I went for 3 days for a friend's 60th birthday. The accommodations were period relative, very clean and extremely comfortable. The staff was so accommodating they almost felt like family. The restaurant was equally as good. They took such good care of us. I honestly couldn't say enough good things to give it justice. It was fantastic and I would recommend in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ewalrad
Willcox1898, General Manager at The Willcox, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for choosing The Willcox to celebrate a 60th birthday with friends. We are pleased to hear that you and your friends enjoyed their visit to The Willcox and Aiken. We are very proud of our staff and their desire to take care of our guests and their needs. In a sense, we are one big family. Thank you again, and we look forward to your return visit.

Tina McCarthy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This hotel was a one night stopover on our way home from Asheville to St. Augustine. The warm old world style lobby is welcoming with comfy lounge chairs, small friendly bar and even a complimentary tea cart. The bedroom was very spacious, bright and spotless with a white semi-modern bathroom. Our dinner was excellent in the restaurant downstairs. My daughter and I loved the free granola, yogurt and muffins and cereal style breakfast. I would travel to Aiken again just to stay longer and relax at the Wilcox hotel. I wish I could have stayed longer. Everyone we meet in Aiken was friendly, we will return for a long weekend of antique shopping and relaxation. We had a good rate while we stayed here as there was a June special rate.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank failtegw
Willcox1898, General Manager at The Willcox, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
On behalf of our entire team, we thank you for taking the time to share your review. We are so pleased that you and your daughter enjoyed your visit. We are looking forward to your return and hope that it will be very soon.

Cambridge
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Hard to believe the way America was, still exists.... checking in a bit late, with Labrador in hand, my wife and I were treated exceptionally well...gorgeous Queen suite, with all the amenities, and a pillow , water and treats for our beloved Daisy dog...Dinner was first class, as was breakfast the next morning, served by Brenda...Toasted walnut/cranberry bread was hard to beat...Sarah, at the front desk, hostess, bellman, and generally everything we could expect in being treated so very welcome, was first class...Worth a visit, gorgeous pool and Dixieland music at the bar to boot...Parking was a bit iffy..but still opposite the front door...will go out of our way to stay again....

Room Tip: Third floor and pay for a "signature suite"
Green Features: Outstanding to the point its hard to believe, the management has gone to such great lengths to be so environmentally friendly
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank geraldmrb
Atlanta
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I reluctantly give-up what I consider best kept secrets - but I try to share helpful information to travelers that want to be savvy, particularly if I have a distinctly positive or negative opinion and
if a review can support a superior property and setting. Such is The Willcox in Aiken, South Carolina - as well as Aiken itself. The Willcox reflects the charm of Aiken, both best kept secrets
accept for folks familiar with this off-the-beaten-path location or equestrians that know that Aiken
has cultivated a history of catering to horse-lovers. The Willcox is a short walk from the 2,000+ acre Hitchcock Park with walking and bridle paths throughout as well as walking distance from
a combination of town center shops, restaurants and a great brewery. It's easy to look past any of the wear on this stately antebellum hotel because it's got a classic wood paneled great room with
bar and a fine restaurant. The staff embodies relaxed Southern Hospitality. We started visiting The Willcox as a stopover on the way to Charleston and Wilmington - but spend a couple of days
to do Christmas shopping at a couple of unique shops and enjoy the local flavor. True, the complementary breakfast is basic - but there's always the killer full breakfast at the restaurant.

Room Tip: After more than a dozen visits - we haven't had a bad room at any price. We've always found...
Green Features: The Willcox practices it's own policy of environmental sustainability - something all hotels should practice but don't.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RobinReview
Willcox1898, General Manager at The Willcox, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for being such a wonderful customer and continuing to make The Willcox your "stopover visit". We truly appreciate your kind comments on both the hotel and our charming town of Aiken. We pride ourselves on our Southern hospitality and continue to strive to offer the best service and accommodations to our guests. We are looking forward to your next visit and are always here to serve you. Thanks Again!

Martinez, Georgia
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I really enjoy the elegant atmosphere at the Willcox. It has a charming lobby with a baby grand, bar, two fireplaces, and lovely antiques. The food is good, too. The rooms are also very comfortable and attractive. The breakfast is a bit lacking if you have a good appetite or a gluten allergy. Parking can be a bit of a challenge in the evenings, because the bar is rather popular. We were disappointed in Thanksgiving Brunch--no pie just mini-tarts for dessert.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank cwsams
Willcox1898, General Manager at The Willcox, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Willcox. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback in reference to our Thanksgiving Buffet and will share with our Chef your comments. We take great pride in listening to our customer feedback and making changes when possible to meet our customer's requests. We are more than happy to accommodate all of our guests dietary needs. Please let us know your dietary needs upon your return visit and we will take care of them for you.

jacksonville, fl
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I recently spent one night at the Willcox. It is charming from the outside and has a comfortable lobby for sitting and having a drink. The rooms are quaint and in need of refurbishing, especially the bathroom. We had dinner at the hotel, which was above average and very good service, but we were surprised that the hotel didn't serve breakfast. An above average hotel experience but it is really time for a facelift. The Willcox would really suffer if there were any choices for lodging in Aiken other than the chain hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank reallaw46
Willcox1898, General Manager at The Willcox, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Willcox and thank you for sharing your feedback from your stay. Your input and the input from all of our guests are vitally important to us. We appreciate the positive comments about the restaurant and the charm of our historic hotel. We are in the process of indeed updating several of our rooms, as we do on an annual basis (including the room that you were in). I truly hope that you will come back and enjoy these updates and contact me personally when you are ready to return. As far as not having a full breakfast, I apologize that you were disappointed. We have taken surveys from several of guest in regards to breakfast, and we choose to offer a complimentary continental breakfast with signature housemade items daily. We are pleased to include our continental breakfast in the price of the room on a daily basis. Again, I thank you for your stay and feedback and I truly hope that you will try us again.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Visiting friends and ended up at the Willcox! Was a wonderful splurge! My husband had to cancel at the last minute so traveling alone could have been uncomfortable. The staff was exceptional! Sarah at reception answered every question and made me feel at home and comfortable. We enjoyed the restaurant the first night with local friends and I booked some spa time! I highly recommend both! My room was exceptional and every detail was thought of! Fudge by my bed the first night and always a decanter of water with lemons! The location is great for walking into town and if you prefer just sitting in a rocking chair, they have plenty on the front porch! The lobby itself is relaxing with numerous couches and chairs to relax and visit with friends new or old. Every morning a lovely breakfast was served for guests with everything from yogurt in mason jars to bagels and muffins! The staff goes above and beyond ! I highly recommend and YES I will go back even tho it is across the country from me!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Poor lady maui
Willcox1898, General Manager at The Willcox, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review of The Willcox. We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and experienced many aspects of the hotel. We take great pride in making people "feel at home" with personal service and our attention to detail. We are sorry that your husband was not able to join you but look forward to welcoming you both back.