“Not quite what we expected”
Review of The Willcox

The Willcox
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Aiken
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 April 2010

My husband and I were visiting relatives in S.C. and set aside a day to stay at the Willcox. Since we've stayed at other Relais and Chateau properties and were always very satisfied, we were eager to stay at the Willcox. It turns out that the property had changed hands and is no longer part of the Relais and Chateau group.

Our room was pretty and spacious, but also smelled as though it needed a good airing. The pool needed to be cleaned, and we decided to forgo a swim. The most disappointing part of our stay was during dinner. We sat for 15 minutes before our waiter came to our table, despite the fact he made several trips to the table of an elderly gentleman seated next to us. To make matters worse, another party came in 10 minutes after us and he went to their table right away. They had drinks and ordered their meals before he even acknowledged us. The dining room wasn't busy, so that couldn't be used as an excuse. Even when we noted that we'd been sitting for a while, our waiter wasn't too concerned. He also let our dirty dishes sit on the table for a while when it was obvious we had finished eating. Again, he visited a table next to us several times to wrap up their leftovers, and bring them their dessert and bill while we sat with dirty dishes on our table.

The property itself is beautiful and Aiken is lovely, but this isn't a place I'd say I'll visit again. We had really looked forward to our stay and were disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank njlibrn
There are newer reviews for The Willcox

Reviewed 9 January 2009

We cannot say enough nice things about our stay at The Willcox. The rooms of our suite were all lovely- fireplace in both the sitting room and the bedroom. (Churchill Suite) The bathroom amenities exceeded those of any other hotel we've ever stayed at- even shaving cream and toothpaste. Every employee went out of their way to do helpful, nice things for us. They showed the perfect balance of interest and helpfulness without being intrusive. There is a gorgeous private dining room one may rent for a private party. The exercise equipment is in a second gorgeous old dining room which made my workout unique and special. We did not use the spa but I will if I can ever go back to visit Aiken, which is an adorable town. The neighborhood is so attractive for walking or driving- and you can walk right into the cute downtown to shop or just enjoy being there.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Wow! What a pleasant surprise to stumble upon this gem. We had a delightful time at the Willcox Inn--the staff made our entire family feel welcome and so comfortable. They were accommodative and friendly, without being overbearing. Our teenaged children found the Inn to be quaint, but "cool." We enjoyed ourselves so much we're heading back this weekend. Oh yes, very clean which is a must. Hats off to the management and staff at the Willcox Inn.

The Elliott Family
Atlanta, GA

Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed 8 August 2008

We have stayed at hotels all over the country, always at least four stars, so we know quality when we find it -- and we found it at The Willcox. In addition to the beauty of the property, gorgeous in both public areas and rooms, each and every staff member was gracious and responsive in providing service to us. We slept well, ate well, and enjoyed our stay immensely. We recommend The Willcox without hesitation!

Jonathan & Celeste
Sierra Madre, CA

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank crisismanager
Reviewed 16 June 2008

My husband I stayed at the Willcox for a weekend away. I thought the hotel was great. Everything was very pretty and well decorated. Our room had a large poster bed, a fireplace, and a nice seating area. Everything was very clean and the bathroom was stocked with nice products. The only problem with our room was the carpet was stained and looked like it needed to be replaced.

We also enjoyed the public spaces of the inn. The lobby was very pretty and we thoroughly enjoyed the pool area. I would warn people who are looking to get away that children are allowed at Willcox. As a result, it's not as quiet as some inns. I still thoroughly enjoyed my weekend and would stay again if I am ever in Aiken.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jechath
Reviewed 9 June 2007

The Wilcox Inn is part of the history of Aiken. With Aiken on a economic rebound this is the perfect location. Hotel Aiken(formerly Holley House) is basically a travel lodge compared to what seems like living in a large mansion. And with their new pool - Very nice. The price keeps the rif raf away and it is perfect for singles or families alike. Having gone to school at Aiken Prep School in the 80's I had always walked past the property, finally staying there I was amazed. Although no dining room - the Breakfast is simply delish, they take small dogs, and like Aiken, the staff is friendly and accomodating. High highly recommend this place as well as the town. Aiken is one of my favorite places in the WORLD. Check out Olive Oyls while you are there. The service stinks but the food is quite good and right around the corner. You can also ask for a discount and they will take care of you. DO NOT go through a service - call them direct.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank JimJ12
Reviewed 4 June 2007

The Willcox Inn is a beautiful property! All of the rooms are elegant and very comfortable. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. Upon my arrival, I found beautiful tulips waiting in my room. I later found out, the staff ordered and placed these at my husband's request.

In the warm months, we love to stay in one of the large, spacious rooms with lots of windows and sunshine. The pool is small, but perfectly adequate and never crowded. The pool fountain provides soothing background noise, and the staff is happy to provide for any wish! The last time we were there, my husband and I spent the afternoon lounging in the pool with champagne and strawberries. In the winter, we enjoy one of the cozy corner rooms with a fire blazing. After a bubble bath in the oversized tub, wrapping up in the plush robes is such a delight.

If you need a weekend getaway, the Willcox will not disappoint!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple