“Lousy Service - Terrible Manager”

Clarion Inn & Suites
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Aiken
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My reservation for 1 night in January and 1 in February was messed up. They booked me for 2 nights in January on the same night. Desk guy wasn't at the desk when I tried to check in. Had to wait in my car until he returned. Desk guy wasn't able to switch the double reservation for 1 room in January and 1 room in February. He called the manager who was to get back to me the next day. I've called several times but Manager never returned my calls.
Impossible to find rooms in dark as you drive around the building. Can't see room numbers. Have to pull car in and put car lights on high.
Lousy breakfast choices. Don't stay here!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
dos155, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

We do apologize you did not enjoy your stay. In response to your reservation, you made the reservation on line through the Choice Reservation System. We did not do it here at the hotel. This was made on November 18, 2013 and you didn't confirm your dates to see if you made them correctly. Our Front Desk Staff was helping another guest at the time of your arrival. He did check you in and your wait was minimal. As for breakfast all other guests seem to love the hot breakfast that we offer daily including bacon and sausage. We have not had any complaints.
As far as a manger getting back to you the next day it was explained to you that you made an Advance Purchase rate and rules clearly state it is nonrefundable. There wasn't anything the manager could do. Again please accept our apologizes but in the future we do hope you confirm your reservations before your arrival at the hotel where possibly something could have been done to help you with the error you made.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We've stayed here many times over the years and always had a pleasant experience. We normally check in late and have always been greeted by a friendly clerk and the rooms are always clean and adequate. The parking lot in the back needs better lighting, but other than that I've never had any complaints. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
dos155, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for your review on the Clarion Inn & Suites. Yes we do pride ourselves on service and we are glad you enjoyed our southern hospitality. We are looking into the lighting in the rear of the hotel and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We also look forward to you coming back again.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

The first hotel room smelt like wet dog then we got another room it was better but wasn't to my likening. The beds were very comfortable. The rooms were cold it was perfect. Breakfast was good. There was mold on the door which was discussing. Some of the furniture was damp. It's a little shabby I wouldn't recommend for someone to stay there !!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nell IT B
dos155, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for the review. We value your opinion and will look into this matter both good and unforeseen.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

My family wanted to meet for a reunion in Aiken SC. One of the family member have never been to Aiken and stayed at the Clarion Inn got the booking information. I have experienced staying in the Clarion Hotels before in Orlando Fl, but nothing like this. This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I had three rooms booked but had to move to another room because of the wet damp smell and not to say the mold in the rooms and around the doors. OMG!!!!!!!! The hall way smelled as well. I wanted to move to another hotel but because of my dad other family members were coming he wanted to stay. Another family member came in late and had to move three times to a different room, she was so disappointed because this is what she did for a living booking hotels but not this one. We plan to come to Aiken again but will NEVER stay at the Clarion Inn again, it need updating. HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very disappointing. I don't know who posted these reviews before but if anyone don't believe me go and see for yourself. Not to say, the key stop working for a couple of rooms had to get the maintenance to come fix it . The Girls at the front desk where very helpful. Wish I could have gotten credit for my stay but it's ok know what to do.

Room Tip: Sleep Inn rooms are large and very clean. In walking distance to restaurants and Wal-Mart. On the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Clementine B

We thank you for your review. We value your opinion and we look into the matter both good and the unforeseen.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

The staff went out of their way to be helpful and kind. All our rooms were clean and fresh. The location was nice because we could walk across the street to Applebee's and The Fresh Market. Breakfasts were very good and offered plenty of choices. I would absolutely recommend staying there for a reasonably priced place to stay.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

As I type this review, I'm sitting in my hotel room using the extremely slow, but free wireless/wired internet. Our room is adequate, and best of all, odor free. My wife is extremely sensitive to smells like deodorizers and cleaners (they trigger Migraine Headaches). This room was clean (mostly) upon our arrival. I found a dirty sock under the ottoman near the padded chair as we were bringing in our luggage. Apparently they don't move furniture when they vacuum.

It looks like it has been well used and could need a bit of a facelift. The door to the room looks like someone had used a pry bar to try and break in. The door operated fine, just looks like it has seen better days. Many of the outlet covers were smashed/broken. Don't know how that could happen in some of the areas I found them like that (ie under the desk). The refrigerator in the room keeps stuff cool at best, and could be defrosted. The AC units either wasn't working or barely working. Luckily the weather wasn't too hot, or we may have had a problem. My wife likes it much warmer than I do, so for her it wasn't a problem.

The good news about this place is that it sits in a very nice secluded wooded area. It is very quiet even though there is a state highway (SC 19/Whiskey Road) right next to it. There are several eating establishments within a very short drive or walk. The beds in this room were the best we've had on the current trip we're on. The towels they provide are plentiful and very nice and plush.

Even with the issues I wrote about, I would definitely stay here again. Just having a fragrance free room was worth it to my wife and I. We booked the room through the Hotel's website and got what I thought to be a good price.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Booked this hotel because I knew it was in a good area and the price was reasonable. When we arrived the front desk clerk acted like she had never dealt with Expedia guests before and informed us we needed to give her a credit card for the room. I said we already paid through website and showed her receipt. She said it was policy to get one for incedentals and the card would not be charged otherwise. Fair enough I understand they need a credit card on file for such cases. However, after returning home lo and behold they have charged us for the room! Called hotel and asked to speak with manager - refused to put me through. Expedia will call hotel but in the meantime I called my bank who immediately put me through to the fraud department to have it removed. Also...the hotel was NOT as advertised: ice machine was broken, there was no HBO available as advertised in room materials and the advertised hot tub was imaginary also. Room was ok (clean, etc) and complimentary breakfast was so-so. Convenient location and place looks good from the outside but will go back to the Hampton Inn down the road next time. Will not ever stay with this chain again!

1  Thank L W