“Needs detail to their menu”
Review of Up Your Alley Chophouse - CLOSED

Up Your Alley Chophouse
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
aiken sc
“Needs detail to their menu”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I've eaten here twice and was disappointed both times. For a restaurant to call themselves a chop house you would think they would have mores steaks and chops. Both times the menu was really strange, too hard to even decide what to have.
After ordering all I can say is that the food is very bland and I wouldn't be surprised if most of it wasn't frozen. For such a great location, they really have to get their game on.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank rshandle

South Carolina
“Great New Addition to the Alley”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I've read a few bad reviews here, and I can't understand them..... This is a solid menu, the food is great, and I think the atmosphere is wonderful. They have items for all budgets, whether it's the $1 all day, every day wings, the appetizers, or the entrees, this place is a welcome addition to downtown Aiken. The service is also great. It's a new hangout for me!

• Visited November 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Delicious menu Steaks & more”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Excellent customer service sets the tone for a great meal experience.
Food is delicious, variety is great from appetizers all the way to dessert!
I would recommend this for lunch or dinner.
My experiences there have been wonderful.

Aiken, South Carolina
“charming patio, slow service, bland food”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I was drawn in by the obvious effort to source food locally, and the modest prices, but the overall experience was disappointing. Two of the three lunch entrees were adequate, although my tuna melt had an excessive amount of mayo and was topped by a slice of processed cheese. The third order (a burger at $11.50) was dry and not very tasty, and the "caramelized onions" were decidedly not caramelized - in fact, limp and visually unappealing. Sandwiches were only available on white bread (Texas toast seemed to figure prominently) or white kaiser rolls.
Although the restaurant was quiet when we arrived, our food took a long time to arrive, considering its nature. Our server was pleasant but should have chased the food up or spoken to us during our wait.

Charleston, South Carolina
“An excellent lunch downtown.”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Having tired of seemingly endless corporate restaurants around Aiken, at the suggestion of my Father, we decided to try Up Your Alley. I never ate at the previous restaurant on this site, so I really didn't know what to expect.

We were warmly greeted upon entering and saw that the restaurant has a truly local feel with original artwork featuring equestrian subjects and sites around town. One could easily call this place the "Polo Club" and it would make sense. All it would need would be a few crossed mallets and some English tack mounted on the walls to complete the theme. It is a fairly large restaurant, but it is broken up into smaller dining areas that make the place feel more intimate. I especially was impressed by the layout of the "L" shaped bar that is divided between the main dining area and one that looks more like a traditional drinking space. It is a good design that would allow people to migrate to a bar space for quiet eating or one for a drinking crowd. There is also an expansive outdoor courtyard that would be enjoyable in nice weather.

The lunch menu is a welcome relief from the typical offerings because each selection had an interesting twist. The prices are also very reasonable for the ambiance and location downtown. For lunch, my Father and I chose the Roast Beef au jus (what I call a French Dip) sandwich and my partner had a Pimento cheese, bacon, fried green tomato sandwich that was declared most delicious. Dad and I loved the Roast Beef that was tender, moist, and flavorful. It was also prepared with brie which provided that interesting twist.

I must say that we also had an excellent server by the name of Destiny. She was knowledgeable of the offerings off menu, made sure we were pleased with our meal, prompt, and had a good sense of humor (a required skill when dining with my Dad...lol).

I am surprised at a few of the previous reviews because our experience was one that reflected a kitchen that was hitting its stride now. I understand that we had met one of the partners of the business...the person who seated us and that another is the chef. When owners are on site and in the kitchen, that is usually a good sign. I also know that often it can take a little time for all the elements of a restaurant to come together well. For that reason, we typically, don't visit a new restaurant in Charleston during its opening month. With limited finances, we try to make sure our "dining out dollars" are well spent. Perhaps that is why I have grown to love TripAdvisor as a way to limit bad experiences.

As we exited, I looked over their dinner menu posted outside and thought that they had very reasonable prices, especially if the quality of food matched what we had at lunch.

On our next visit to Aiken, I would love to give that dinner menu a try.