“Not overly impressive...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Alabama
“Not overly impressive...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I'm a huge fan of the Longhorn's in Gulf Shores, AL so I was happy to find that there was a location in Aiken. We went on a Friday night right before the dinner rush so we were seated right away. Our server took quite a while to make his way to our table and it was over 15 minutes from the time we were seated before we had our drinks. Remember, this is BEFORE the dinner rush. My margarita was not well mixed and I couldn't even finish it, which is a first for me. Our salads took another 15 minutes to make it out and my husband's request for extra dressing and my request for no tomatoes was ignored. He asked the server for extra dressing a second time and still didn't receive it. Our entrees were out after another 30 minutes and while my husband's steak was done perfectly my grilled trout was overcooked and didn't taste very fresh. This is the only time I've not enjoyed dinner at Longhorn's and I can honestly say I won't come back to this one. Outback is located right across the street and would probably have been a better choice.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Alsabrook

“Pleasantly Surprised!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I usually do not like chain restaurants but this time I was pleasantly surprised. Service and food were excellent. The decor was beautiful. Looking forward to my next visit

Aiken, South Carolina
“Mac and Cheese to die for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I know it's odd to start off a review of a steakhouse with a review of one of their side dishes, but I have to say this is one of the best versions of mac and cheese that I've ever had; the secret is four different cheeses and bacon; everything is better with bacon!

I ordered the prime rib, perfectly cooked to my medium rare instructions, and I enjoyed both the au jus and the horseradish sauce that was served with it; I also had the french onion soup as an appetizer, and wished I'd ordered a bowl instead of a cup; it was delicious!

The house salad was good; ranch dressing tasted home made; if I had any complaints it would be the cheese fries appetizer; no real seasoning, and the bacon tasted like bacon bits, Was not impressed, but everything else was wonderful. Our waiter was attentive without being overbearing, and it was reasonably priced, with a welcoming decor. I will definitely go here again.

• Visited October 2013
“So disappointed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Wow--never expected to have such a bad experience here. My 8 year old son wanted to go out for steak, and the Longhorn was the newest restaurant in town, so naturally, this was where he wanted to go. The pluses: the wait was much less time than the hostess had predicted; the steak was cooked perfectly; my son was very happy. The minuses: Our waitstaff was seated with two large tables at the same time as us; the beers we ordered came as my husband was finishing his meal--he unhappily refused them at this point; the steak that I shared with my son was, in a word, gross--it was a $26 porterhouse, and it was full of gristle and connective tissue. I cut off the best parts for my kid (his first time out for steak, and I did NOT want him to be disappointed), but I was blown away by how much of this steak was inedible. It was also bathed in some sort of buttery marinade that I was really not fond of. We never even received the bread basket that I think everyone is supposed to receive.
I waited tables for many years and I know how it goes. This waitress was really hosed when she was seated with two big tables, and our little three top at the same time. HOWEVER, if you know that you are weeded with the two big tables, you make sure to send someone over to check on the smaller table. Always. AND, if someone exhibits displeasure with the experience, then you immediately send your manager over to fix it, or you take the liberty to do so. Period. She was very apologetic, but made no moves to do either of the above. I did note that the larger tables had plenty of drinks, and received their bread--my husband even noted that the table behind us received free appetizers and a person who seemed to be a manager-type was taking photos for them. Wish I'd been sitting at that table. I told my son he needed to try the Outback...

• 1 of 5 bubbles