“Very Disappointing Stay”

The Inn at Houndslake
Ranked #2 of 7 Aiken B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We were looking forward to a return visit to the Guest House, but were extremely disappointed at the condition of this property since our visit two years ago. Perhaps it was worth spending the extra cost per night for the "suite" (just an upgraded room) -- we did have one on our previous visit and a relative had one this time -- but we didn't need a refrigerator and microwave (an in-room coffee maker which is now pretty standard in hotels would have been nice, though). Coffee and afternoon cookies were available in the lobby, as was bottled water -- a nice touch. Our room, however, needed major updating/refurbishing/cleaning. The carpet was stained; the mirrored closet doors were spotted; the bathroom ceiling was peeling and stained; and, worst of all, solid waste from the previous occupant was still in the toilet. There were no suites available or we would have moved. We will not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Bette7
ppenlandgilligan, Owner at The Inn at Houndslake, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

I am the proprietor of The Guest House at Houndslake, and I am so very sorry you had an unpleasant experience. I was shocked by that information as we have never received any negative feedback about the cleanliness of our property. We appreciate your input and haven taken action with our housekeeping contractor. We are in the process of updating our guest rooms, and I can assure you this one is at the top of the list. I would like to make you a special offer for your next visit and hope you will give us another chance. The Guest House is a family owned property, and we take this matter very seriously. Thank you for your consideration. Peggy Penland

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Always trying new places we found this place at a good rate just outside of Aiken. It is in resort/community. Nice pool, access to club dining and bar (great drink specials by the way). 10 minutes to downtown. The facility itself was very clean and neat but you felt like you were back in 1960 (which for me is not bad). For 100.00 a night it was good!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view of the 18th hole!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We were playing in the State playoff with our tennis team and were lucky enough
to stay at The Guest House at Houndslake. We were very comfortable, clean and the staff was outstanding. We were entertained each morning with golfers putting on the 18th green. We hope to return in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank lowcountryj
Reviewed 7 October 2013

What a great little hotel in Aiken! I was staying here on a concert tour and therefore didn't pay for the room...but I never would've guessed how nice this place would be from the outside.

It is in the Houndslake Country Club, and you'll probably need a local to guide you back there just to find it, but once you get there, you will love it! The staff was incredibly friendly, remembered who I was, frequently asked how I was enjoying my stay and Aiken. The king room is gigantic! The TV - while probably a typical size for a hotel - almost seems dwarfed by the room. That said, I don't usually use the TV in hotels, so I didn't care.

I had a ground-floor room, and had a great view of the golf course. Apparently, anyone who stays has access to the entire country club, and I think a discount on the course (or maybe only pay the greens fee). I was only here one night and don't golf, so it didn't matter to me, but next time I'll at least bring a swimsuit, as the country club pool is right next to the Guest House.

They had the typical options for a continental breakfast, but they were very good. And in a very nice room with huge tables and cozy chairs. I love that there was ALWAYS a pot of coffee on in the lobby.

It's about 10 minutes south of "downtown" Aiken, but it's a relatively small town anyway, and downtown has some great little restaurants and shops.

Since I don't know how much the room cost, I don't know about the value or if I would stay here again, but I'd definitely look into it as I imagine it's worth it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank tnmusikherr
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This is a sweet 24 room inn inside Houselake Country Club. The Inn is older, but not shabby. The rooms are large and king rooms have a fridge. the closets are roomy and the bathrooms are older, but clean and functional. We went with a large group for a tennis tournament and the place seemed exclusively tennis players and golf groups. Friendly staff and comfortable common areas. Even a grill on the patio. The restaurant and bar are in the Country Club building and are nice, but not special. The breakfast in the morning is simple, but did the job. Coffee and cookies available at night is a nice touch.

Room Tip: The bottom rooms were almost soundproof, but lonely, if you want to socialize. Folks on the main flo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank wm1993
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My tennis team made it to the State Championships in Aiken Memorial Day weekend.
This place could not have been any more perfect. We had rooms 200 and 201 which had a back stair case with a sitting area and led to the breakfast room complete with patio and grill.
We enjoyed grilling on the patio, watching TV, and of course breakfast in this space.
The rooms were lovely, staff was extremely accommodating.
I would stay here again in a minute!!
The Pub food is outstanding. Best lunch all of us ever had. Great citrus salad, burgers and club sandwiches..homemade chips are amazing!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank hhi4me
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I stayed here as I was in town for a surprise birthday party..The wonderful staff made this a wonderful experience. My room was spacious with all the amenities you would need. I would highly recomend it.

Room Tip: My room was 211 spacious with nice view of Golf course
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends