“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Summa Joe's

Summa Joe's
Ranked #1 of 269 Restaurants in Anderson
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Good for: Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Rock Hill, South Carolina
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Went after reading reviews, food was excellent. Many different types of food. Cubana sandwich very good. Wife had fresh steak special which was good.

“Pizza rocks, I'll come back for more!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Trip advisor led us here, so in all fairness I MUST lead more here as well! We had several pizzas this night, the southwest (rec by our awesome waiter Trent) the chicken florentine and the meat lovers..they were all superb! The sweetness of the florentine was subtle and the slight spicy of the southwest was perfect! I can't say enough..except the dessert must've been as good because they truly ran out of everything

“First (but NOT last) Time visitors!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

What a pleasant experience! Casual atmosphere and excellent service. The food was amazing. Freshly prepared with locally grown ingredients. We can't wait to visit again!

Visited August 2014
Anderson, South Carolina
“Always a treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Locally owned and food locally sourced. Always fresh and tasty. Great wine selection and very reasonably priced. Chef is a genius. It is always a problem to select a new or daily special entree rather than order my old favorites which are always fantastic.

Visited June 2014
Anderson, South Carolina, United States
“A Little Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My partner and I decided to try Summa Joe's; the reviews were excellent across the board on several sites (including this one), and when I'm not cooking, I enjoy a good meal out to give myself a break. Summa Joe's is located in the revitalized downtown Anderson, and its main selling point is that they source locally for their food.

The atmosphere is kind of cute; lots of multi-colored lights are strung about, and this gives the restaurant a kitchy kind of atmosphere. We were seated next to a large window, which gave us ample view of the restaurant as well as the goings-on on the street. Our waitress was very nice; she recommended the fish chowder. My partner ordered the pizza, while I ordered the chicken florentine.

I was a little disappointed with the fish chowder; as for my partner, he enjoyed it. I thought it lacked a little flavor. That being said, it wasn't terrible; it just could have used some spicing up. But it was nice and thick, the way a chowder should be. Then our main dishes arrived. My florentine was a big disappointment; there was almost no garlic involved in the making of my dish, and there wasn't enough spinach incorporated throughout. The chicken was good, but it was breaded too taste more like Southern-fried instead of sautéed and seasoned in the Italian mode. My partner was none too thrilled with his pizza, as well. It looked very appetizing and smelled nice, but again, according to him, it just seemed to 'lack that zing' that he is used to when it comes to pizza. I trust his opinion, as he loooves pizza, and he has taken me to some real ringdinger joints that served the most incredible pizza.

In addition, I come from an area that is heavily populated by Italians, so I am used to eating very delicious Italian food. I understand that people in this area do not like garlic much, which I'm assuming, is why any Italian food I've eaten here (save for New York Pizza, a review I will write soon) has been rather bland. So I tend to be picky when it comes to my Italian dishes. Perhaps the florentine isn't the thing to eat at Summa Joe's, but everyone raves about their pizza, and it just wasn't all that great.

Having said that, their food does taste VERY fresh, which is a plus, and I did take home the rest of my florentine home and ate it the next day -- seasoned with garlic, basil and a little thyme, which greatly improved the taste.

All in all, not a bad place...but if you're used to really authentic Italian food, you may want to avoid ordering it here. I've not tried other menu items as of yet, so to be fair, the rest of their offerings may be delicious, but I'm in no great hurry to return to Summa Joe's.

• Visited May 2014