“Proceed with caution” 2 of 5 bubbles

Bluffton, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Proceed with caution”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Unfortunately, i never was able to take the sunrise expedition. I received a phone call the afternoon prior to departure and was informed that the trip was cancelled due to the potential of thunderstorms the following morning. Although, I fully understand the need for providing a safe environment the notification process was flawed. First, as far as I can tell the web site does not indicate that trips may be cancelled due to weather. Second, I live over 2 hours from the departure site, would have to drive in the day before and take a hotel due to the 4:45 AM departure time. The hotels in the Charleston area have a 24 hour cancellation policy so I was unable to cancel my reservation on such short notice and was forced to pay the $171.00 hotel bill. Third, 2 friends were joining me and they also faced similar hotel bills. The company needs to be cognizant of these problems and provide a better means of notifying out of town patrons well in advance of cancellations. Lastly, I was scouting the location as a possible field trip for my photo club. Needless to say that I cannot recommend it due to the financial risks. All and all the experience was unpleasant.

Visited August 2014
3 Thank Kryos613
CoastalEx, Manager at Bulls Island Ferry, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your review of your experience with Coastal Expeditions.

In the time that we have offered the Sunrise Expedition, this is the first time that we have had to cancel the trip. We know that the people that sign up for this trip are true adventurers, willing to brave the weather and a very early departure time to see a spectacular sunrise on one of the last undeveloped stretches of coastline on the eastern seaboard. We don't cancel unless we have to.

Coastal weather can be difficult to predict,. As soon as we had information that this trip was not going to be safe for the captain, mate and participants, we called everyone to cancel. We appreciate your comments; We are going to review our website and possibly add more information about our cancellation policy.

Coastal Expeditons

Kansas City
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fun adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

The trip to Bull's Island was great. The staff was very knowledgeable and the ferry ride was fun. The island has lots of alligators, birds and wildlife to photograph while exploring the island.

Visited July 2014
CoastalEx, Manager at Bulls Island Ferry, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
We're so glad that you enjoyed your experience on the island. It is an incredible oasis for thousands of birds, alligators, bobcats and other animals--- and being able to see them in their natural habitat makes for a great day!

Come back and see us!
Coastal Expeditions
Charleston, South Carolina
“A great outdoor adventure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I surprised my hubby with a half-day adventure. We are from around here and learned soooo much about our ecosystem. Our guides were fantastic, Gates and Olivia. Knowledgeable, kind and enthusiastic people! We went in July, so it was very hot of course. I didn't prepare as well as I should--wear comfortable walking shoes, take bug spray/sunscreen. Pack a light snack and lots of water. It's beautiful, natural and everything an outdoor adventure should be. It is a lot of walking... a lot. So keep that in mind if you have very young children. I would not have enjoyed it as much with my little toddlers. But plenty of folks brought their little ones, even a baby. Just make sure you have a rugged stroller or carrier. And not the best thing for folks who can't walk a lot. But it is BEAUTIFUL and perfect for anyone who likes to be outdoors. And I would recommend the full day...we didn't have enough time for the three-hour tour. We'll be back!

Visited July 2014
Thank you for your comments about the Bulls Island experience. We agree that if you have young children you need to be prepared for a lot of walking and exposure to the elements. If you have kids that enjoy being in nature (and you come prepared with all of things you need for the day) it can be a fantastic experience.

We hope you'll come back out to the island again! It's an ever-changing ecosystem and a unique spot on the South Carolina coast!

Coastal Expeditions
Sumter, South Carolina
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A day in the wild”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Eco tour starting with ferry ride to Bulls Island. The crew on board were excellent providing tons of info on the island itself, on the natural features including plants and birds we would see on the island as well as info on the tides, the changing geography of the island due to climate change and hurricanes. Should let people know on website that this is basic island with few facilities. Need to take your own water, food, insect protection and sunscreen. This is not a trip for small children or elderly.

My daughter is a ecology/biology high school teacher and was pleased to have the chance to see this island. I personally am pleased that not many facilities have been added and nature is allowed for the most part to continue to change and develop.

Only suggestion for ferry is that the crew let people know they have water which can be purchased before going onto the island. We had brought some water with us but definitely needed more which we did get on the return to the mainland.

Excellent day - recommend for those of us who enjoy nature, quiet, a chance to see birds like the endangered wood storks.

Syracuse, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Interesting but poor facilities”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

The trip and beach was very nice but if you take a half day trip there should be either golf carts or some sort of transportation for small children or elderly people to make it to the beach. It is a mile and a half walk to the beach from where the boat docks, this makes it difficult for elderly people or families with small children to walk there.

3 Thank angela1013