“Great Experience”
Review of Bulls Island Ferry

Bulls Island Ferry
Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Awendaw
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This was an amazing trip! I would definitely recommend it. It is however not for those who just want to go to the beach and get some sun. But for those who love nature this is an amazing experience. There are miles of trails on the island where you can see all different kinds of species of birds and even alligators. The tour guides were very knowledgeable and friendly. They knew a lot of information about the area, the ecosystem, and all the species of birds. We did the half day trip and only got to go the beach and the boneyard portion of the beach. The beach is one of the most beautiful I have been too! The view is gorgeous with no houses no people just the beauty of untouched nature. My tip for the trip: Read the fine print and Bring Bug Spray!!! (There are a lot of mosquitoes) It is a true adventure!

2  Thank Ann C
in 3 reviews
"oysters"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Bull Island is a beautiful experience.

The ride to and from the island was great site siteseeing and the guides gave a nice introduction to the area, the ecosystem and a lot of the birds/fish/animals. My 3 and 5 year old were entertained the whole time.

The walk on the island was beautiful as well. Simplest walk was 1.5 miles across the island then the sandy beach was great for swimming and a seashell hunt. The 3 hours was a bit short b/c we had to hustle to get back to the boat in time. And had to carry the kids on our shoulders on the way back .. "my legs are tired."

Overall, excellent experience!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

WE had a great time, learned alot, saw alot (I mean alot) and enjoyed the pristine beaches, and incredible diversity from tall pine forest to tropical forest to miles of salt marsh. We saw a pod of dolphin, including young babies, lots of birds, natural habitat, shells and boneyard beach---wow, wow, wow. Loved it, can't wait to go back.

Advice to travelers: GO! Wear a hat and follow their recommendations. Such an experience.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Unfortunately, i never was able to take the sunrise expedition. I received a phone call the afternoon prior to departure and was informed that the trip was cancelled due to the potential of thunderstorms the following morning. Although, I fully understand the need for providing a safe environment the notification process was flawed. First, as far as I can tell the web site does not indicate that trips may be cancelled due to weather. Second, I live over 2 hours from the departure site, would have to drive in the day before and take a hotel due to the 4:45 AM departure time. The hotels in the Charleston area have a 24 hour cancellation policy so I was unable to cancel my reservation on such short notice and was forced to pay the $171.00 hotel bill. Third, 2 friends were joining me and they also faced similar hotel bills. The company needs to be cognizant of these problems and provide a better means of notifying out of town patrons well in advance of cancellations. Lastly, I was scouting the location as a possible field trip for my photo club. Needless to say that I cannot recommend it due to the financial risks. All and all the experience was unpleasant.

3  Thank Kryos613
CoastalEx, Manager at Bulls Island Ferry, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for your review of your experience with Coastal Expeditions.

In the time that we have offered the Sunrise Expedition, this is the first time that we have had to cancel the trip. We know that the people that sign up for this trip are true adventurers, willing to brave the weather and a very early departure time to see a spectacular sunrise on one of the last undeveloped stretches of coastline on the eastern seaboard. We don't cancel unless we have to.

Coastal weather can be difficult to predict,. As soon as we had information that this trip was not going to be safe for the captain, mate and participants, we called everyone to cancel. We appreciate your comments; We are going to review our website and possibly add more information about our cancellation policy.

Kari Crolley