“Nothing particularly great for the price”

Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 6 October 2012

The property is average, room comfort and cleanliness was average (although for $130 a night, a recaulking of the shower wouldn't hurt), and the stay was neither overly comfortable nor uncomfortable. I didn't think it was worth the price.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 August 2012

Sorry Charlies---but seriously, this was the worst Holiday Inn I have stayed in. On a positive note, the front desk person was VERY nice. However, the property itself needs a major overhaul. Dated decor and the room was not good. I think I got the last room available---it was a suite with handicap access---which was fine. However, the room smelled like WET DOG. Furniture looked like it came from the Good Will--walls were stained and dirty. Bed was uncomfortable--and I could not open the window more than one inch to air the room out. Front desk woman offered to de-funkify it for me---but I declined the obligatory fumigation---I thought the chemical smell might even be worse than the wet dog smell so I decided to suck it up and live with it. No other rooms available. The room was $154 with tax---I am a Priority Club Member---big deal, right? Right. I stayed at the Hampton Inn next door the night before, and would have been happy to stay there another night, but they were booked so I had to move on for night #2. I will not be back and would recommend the Hampton Inn next door ten times over this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ilovemyroadtime
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here in early 2011, and we got a whirlpool suite, but we didn't realize we were right next to the pool area. The pool area has a large water slide and a kiddy-pool which are pretty nice for kids. The big water slide is very loud, and we could hear people going in and out the door upstairs for hours on end. It was also someone's birthday that day, so there were more people than usual I would guess. The room was great, the service was great, but it was just a little too loud.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Attended a funeral in town and stayed for one night with my brother. Front desk was very friendly regardless of who was working it or what time of day we walked by. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. I like having the choice of soft or firm pillows. Breakfast had a good selection and was generally good except for the biscuits which were a little overdone and not to the normal standards of light and flakey you usually get at Holiday Inn Express. Really nice having Mavericks Steakhouse next to the hotel, literally steps away through a covered hallway (bet that is really nice in the winter).

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on May 24 and 25th. I enjoyed my stay. As a former employee of this hotel, I would have to say that the improvements that they made since I worked there two years ago have been minor. The flat-panel TVs in the rooms are nice improvement, but the TV stands that they are on look homemade (and not in a good way). The carpet in the hallways looks tattered and worn and seem to have not been vacuumed that those two days I stayed there. When they switched to the "refreshed" Holiday Inn express logo, they had to put in a new shower bar. However, the holes left behind look like they were patched with silly putty.

The new courtyard outside behind the breakfast area looks amazing. My compliments to the owners for that area as it is beautiful. My nieces and nephews enjoyed the swimming pool area and the waterslide immensely. That is one of the best things that this hotel has to offer.

Overall, this hotel is a very nice hotel. Things are starting to look a little dated, especially in the sleeping rooms, as the furniture inside also looks a little dated. But you get your priority club points and those are always worth something as priority club is one of the best rewards programs that any hotel chain has to offer.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better because you can hear people walking above you if you're on any o...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The hotel was nice and the room was comfortable. Right around midnight I was woke up by noises in the hall and then again at 3:30am by someone knocking on my door. I ended up leaving a few things behind in my room (my own fault I know..) but the end result is my camera that was left on the bed just so happened to not be there when I realized it was missing and called the hotel. Of course the other (bathroom) stuff I left was waiting for me in the lost & found. Ended up being a very expensive, and unsatisfactory experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Dear bahhumbugg,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 11 April 2012

I stayed over Easter weekend for a Cal Ripken Baseball tournament with my son's 12U team. The kids enjoyed the pool. The location is very convenient, many restaurants within walking distance. If staying during a tournament, the hotel may get a little noisy. Great self-service complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family