“Great for Kids”

Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 22 July 2010

We spent one night in July in the HIE. The hotel is in decent shape a little worn around the edges but not bad.

The front desk is one of the friendliest I have dealt with they did a great job on check in and out and were always friendly.

The breakfast both hot and cold was outstanding several choices for even the pickiest eater.

Rooms are getting dated could use an update on some furniture and some flat screen tv's but all in all it was clean and had what we needed. Bathroom was a nice size but also a bit worn in the tub shower.

The pool area has a large water slide a play pool for young children and two hot tubs. It is showing some wear and tear also but our four year old had a blast so I will give it a thumbs up but could use some work water a little cloudy and rust on slide and just sort of a dingy feel to the area maybe some new lighting would help.

Slide is only open in the evenings mon-thurs. so be aware if staying with kids you can't use the slide during the day and the pool area is somewhat limited without the slide.

Don't expect the quality of the Hampton next door even though the price is higher you are paying for slide in the pool area so if you have kids its a great choice if not stay next door at the Hampton.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank stdokl
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen

Reviewed 3 April 2010

I find myself in Aberdeen often. I had been staying at another hotel in Aberdeen, which I had grown quite tired of. I decided to take my business elsewhere and decided on the Holiday Inn Express. I wish I would have made the switch sooner! The service in this hotel in exceptional. The rooms are spacious and quiet and have a great desk to finish out the day in. The location is convenient. The breakfast in the morning is good and is a great way to start the day. Soon they will have a Steak House attached to the facility and then they will have the total package.
Now when I go to Aberdeen I actually look forward to the trip and a lot of it has to do with the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Just an overnight stop. Fairly new building set back from main road and about 1 mile from Aberdeen Airport. Was perfectly adequate for my solo needs. Room large, with one bed more than I required. Clean and quiet. My room, at the back of the building, overlooked adjacent construction site of uncertain future use.

Breakfast, included in overnight charge, being self-service, was ample and included cooked food (scrambled egg, bacon), plus the usual fare of bread, muffins, cereals, juices, coffee etc.

Friendly staff in dining area and Reception. Other facilities unchecked.

Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We unexpectedly found ourselves staying in Aberdeen, SD, about 4 p.m. when the snow started to blow. (some reviews on this site pertain to a hotel in Aberdeen, Scotland) The Holiday Inn Express looked like an oasis in bad weather, so we took a room. It was perfectly fine--nicely appointed, nice bathroom, nice bed, the heater/ventilator worked fine, the TV was excellent. We also found the whirlpool downstairs to be excellent. Service was good. A computer with free internet access was available. Cost was about $95, which included a hot breakfast. My only criticism is that dumbheads used the breakfast area barefooted and with their children in pajamas. Not appealing. A sign specifically warned against this, but the hotel didn't enforce it's own sign. It should.

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed 11 March 2008

We spent one night in the Holiday Inn Express in Aberdeen SD for my 3 year olds birthday. The pool area was nice, except that one of the hot tubs was under construction and appeared to have been for some time. The rules at this hotel insisted that the kids wait in line at the bottom of the stairs for the slide until the current slider came out of the bottom and at one point the line went clear to the end of the pool. I thought that was alittle extreme and put a damper on our fun. Each additional wrist band for the slide was 5 dollars.
We had relatives join us for supper and their was no common place to eat besides our room. The banister overlooking the pool stays locked and costs $100 to rent. There is no food allowed in the pool area, and their breakfast bar was under construction.
The room was average. The mirrors had a clean spot in the middle and dried spray around the edges where they had only been polished in the center. When we took more TP out of the extra role holder there was dried gook inside and the wash cloth holders hadn't been wiped in awhile. Over all our stay was average at best and although the kids enjoyed the pool I would not pay $120.00 to stay here again. We stayed in a Comfort hotel in Bismark that had nicer rooms a compable water slide and freindly service for about $25 less.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank seasidefriendSelbySD
Reviewed 24 November 2007

This was my first trip to Aberdeen the Holiday Inn express is a newer clean hotel.
The front desk was friendly and the Continental breakfast was good. It is very noisy you can here people walking up and down the halls. The biggest problem was the maid services. We left our room at 7:30 A.M. and returned back to the hotel at 2 P.M to find that they had not cleaned our room yet.As a priority member this was extremely disappointing. We wanted to take a quick shower before going back out but that was not possible. I probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 18 July 2007

We have stayed in this hotel on several occassions and not had a problem. There is nothing wrong with the hotel for the money and in fact it is pretty good value but what is sadly lacking is customer service.

We had just completed at 24 hour charity walk and arrived at the hotel a little early for check-in at 2.00 pm. We explained that we were early but given the circumstances was there any possibility of checking into a room given we were all very tired. The receptionist on duty obviously couldn't be bothered to even attempt to look interested and stated we would have to wait. I have worked in hotel industry and I would have said that although there was nothing available at the time I would put a rush on and offer some form of refreshment but nothing, we were just told to wait in the lounge. A half-hour passed and we asked again to be told there was still nothing available but in the meantime they checked other people into the hotel who were also early for check-in.

At 2.00pm exactly the moment for checking in (some 1 1/4 hours after we arrived) we were told our rooms were ready. The receptionist was obviously making a point. I am a Priorty Club member and expect to be treated better.

I'm afraid I won't be back given her attitude plus the fact another member of staff was hoovering round about us in the lounge - we were just waiting for him to ask us to lift our feet. I'm sorry but this should have been done when no guests were around.

The staff could clearly do with a refresher course in customer service. The attitude we encountered clouded an otherwise adequate stay.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with friends